Thread: Title 18 No Firearms - Legal or out of date?

Title 18 No Firearms - Legal or out of date?

I noticed that the US Forest Service has posted outside the offices on the Blue Ridge Parkway, no firearms. Is this not out of date? I thought one could OC and CC in these premises?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	title 18.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	11825

Forgive any stupidity of the Ler on my part.

TIA

The Code. I'm sure people go in there with hunting knives and blades over 2.5" long all the time. Heh, I opened the door and stuck my head in but didn't go inside. Of course I could have gone pew-pew had I wanted, from the porch, but I am friendly and nice Kittey (though grumpy at times).

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/930
    Last edited by Maverick9; 07-25-2014 at 06:50 AM.

That's National Parks you were thinking of.

We are still working on National Forests and other "outdoor" places - Corps of Engineers being possibly the top one.

Also, that sign is required at all entrances to federal facilities that are primarily where federal employees do their assigned tasks. It's amusing to see how the feds comply with that when they are renting a portion of a building since they cannot post the entire building.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    I noticed that the US Forest Service has posted outside the offices on the Blue Ridge Parkway, no firearms. Is this not out of date? I thought one could OC and CC in these premises?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	title 18.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	11825

Forgive any stupidity of the Ler on my part.

TIA

The Code. I'm sure people go in there with hunting knives and blades over 2.5" long all the time. Heh, I opened the door and stuck my head in but didn't go inside. Of course I could have gone pew-pew had I wanted, from the porch, but I am friendly and nice Kittey (though grumpy at times).

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/930
    I am familiar with that sign and the building it is posted on. If my memory is correct that building is property of the National Park Service and is a office for National Park employees. Making it entirely legal, because it is their work area and not open to the public. One would be hard pressed to find a U.S. Forest Service office located in or on National Park Service property. The are two separate government agencies and have totally different responsibilities.

OK, thanks, guys. Yes I had conflated or confused National Parks with National Forests, heh.

/end thread.

However.....

I believe, based on the link provided that the sign is inaccurate. here is a paste of the info from the link...(highlights are mine).

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
    (b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/at...chmentid=11825

The sign appears to take the offense from subparagraph (a) and combine it with the penalty from sub paragraph (b). The 5 year penalty only applies if bringing the weapon in with the intent that it be used in the commission of a crime.

Now of course the legal beagles in the group can say that bringing the weapon in is committing a crime [violation of (b)] so walking past the sign now puts you into the (a) category......but still I think the sign is incorrect.
    Last edited by wrearick; 07-25-2014 at 11:55 AM.