Thread: LEO/Corrections Question

LEO/Corrections Question

WAY off topic here but I'm curious: as a C/O for an "undisclosed location" down near the border, am I authorized to carry (CC) in any GFSZ Areas, provided I carry my credentials with me or does AZ law not allow for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IT is better to have a gun on you and NOT need it, than to need a gun and NOT have it on you...

Are you a sworn officer with general powers of arrest, and does AZ consider you a LEO?

Generally speaking that's what you need to meet the LEOSA barrier which I'm guessing is what you are hoping to be able to use as your proof of being better than the rest of us.

Not that I disagree with the notion that there are some areas of which you speak where being unarmed is a distinct disadvantage. I'm just generally PO'd about Only Ones.

Specifically in answer to your question:

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument....38&DocType=ARS see Section 8(b)

then

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument....38&DocType=ARS but see especially Section D and then review the policies of "undisclosed location" and it's parent organization. I'm thinking this is where your dream will come crashing down around your head.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Are you a sworn officer with general powers of arrest, and does AZ consider you a LEO?

Generally speaking that's what you need to meet the LEOSA barrier which I'm guessing is what you are hoping to be able to use as your proof of being better than the rest of us.

Not that I disagree with the notion that there are some areas of which you speak where being unarmed is a distinct disadvantage. I'm just generally PO'd about Only Ones.

Specifically in answer to your question:

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument....38&DocType=ARS see Section 8(b)

then

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument....38&DocType=ARS but see especially Section D and then review the policies of "undisclosed location" and it's parent organization. I'm thinking this is where your dream will come crashing down around your head.

stay safe.
    Ouch.... Can you fault the guy for wanting to be able to carry?

Is he supposed to take a moral stand and walk around unarmed to prove a point? To stand in solidarity? I could almost get behind that if the "stand" would ever have any affect doe the better, but it wouldn't.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

I wasn't trying to be any better than anyone else. I'm working at a Federally-contracted facility that has hired me as a C/O and was wondering if we fall under the LEOSA. I will have to as our Chief

IT is better to have a gun on you and NOT need it, than to need a gun and NOT have it on you...

Quote Originally Posted by DooFster View Post
    WAY off topic here but I'm curious: as a C/O for an "undisclosed location" down near the border, am I authorized to carry (CC) in any GFSZ Areas, provided I carry my credentials with me or does AZ law not allow for that?
    Check out ARS 13-3102.C.3

Corrections Officers are specifically exempted from many serious Arizona weapons misconduct laws, including taking a sawed off shotgun, with the serial number "defaced," into a kindergarten classroom.

It's something we (AzCDL) try to get corrected in at the legislature but the LEO lobbies don't want changed. We managed to get a bill granting the same exemptions to judges killed last year.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Ouch.... Can you fault the guy for wanting to be able to carry?

Is he supposed to take a moral stand and walk around unarmed to prove a point? To stand in solidarity? I could almost get behind that if the "stand" would ever have any affect doe the better, but it wouldn't.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    No, I'm not faulting the guy. Did I say anything about him not going armed just because the rest of us can not?

I'm just PO'd that some animals get to be more equal than others.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post

Corrections Officers are specifically exempted from many serious Arizona weapons misconduct laws, including taking a sawed off shotgun, with the serial number "defaced," into a kindergarten classroom.

It's something we (AzCDL) try to get corrected in at the legislature but the LEO lobbies don't want changed. We managed to get a bill granting the same exemptions to judges killed last year.

Fred
    Don't think that one will fly, as it only covers community/state COs, not federals.

And I'm not even sure that anything will cover him, as he's basically a private secuity guard working under a contract. Rent-a-cop at a rent-a-prison. (That was not meant to be mean, just a way of illustrating the technicalities of the situation.)

I have no idea how AZ deals with it, but in Virginia contract prison officers are classified as armed security officers and have no privilege to carry based on their job. They have to qualify with pistol, shotgun, and OC (pepper spray) every year. They are not considered LEO.

stay safe.
    Last edited by skidmark; 07-25-2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: realized he's contract, not a federal employee

----Allahpundit

Banned
    I wasn't trying to be any better than anyone else. I'm working at a Federally-contracted facility that has hired me as a C/O and was wondering if we fall under the LEOSA. I will have to as our Chief

Well, do you think that the Gov't can restrict yours or anyone else's right to carry?

I really don't think anyone gets my question...lol

Can I, as a C/O for a private detention center, carry on school grounds with the LEOSA to back me up?

Centurion
    I really don't think anyone gets my question...lol

Can I, as a C/O for a private detention center, carry on school grounds with the LEOSA to back me up?

I think SkidMark in post #7 covered it well!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post

Fred
    Why change that? It's a very necessary activity