• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help with understanding vehicular concealed carry.

SixFoot

Regarding this on opencarry.org

Open Car Carry:
You may open and conceal carry in a vehicle at age 21 without any permit, or at 18 “while traveling”.

Perhaps some legal enthusiasts could expound on this for me, with links to the legal texts? I've never even heard that I could conceal/open carry, say, my .45 ACP in my vehicle while driving to the grocery store, and I've lived here most of my life. :confused:

kcgunfan

RsMO 571.030.3 contains the information you are looking for.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

SixFoot

RsMO 571.030.3 contains the information you are looking for.

Thank you for the quick response.

"3. Subdivisions (1), (5), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section do not apply when the actor is transporting such weapons in a nonfunctioning state or in an unloaded state when ammunition is not readily accessible or when such weapons are not readily accessible. Subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply to any person twenty-one years of age or older or eighteen years of age or older and a member of the United States Armed Forces, or honorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces, transporting a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed, nor when the actor is also in possession of an exposed firearm or projectile weapon for the lawful pursuit of game, or is in his or her dwelling unit or upon premises over which the actor has possession, authority or control, or is traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through this state. Subdivision (10) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply if the firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed by a person while traversing school premises for the purposes of transporting a student to or from school, or possessed by an adult for the purposes of facilitation of a school-sanctioned firearm-related event or club event."

I fall under three parts of this text; I am over 21 years of age, I am an honorably retired veteran, and I lawfully own all of my firearms. So, I guess the bottom line is, I am legally allowed to carry a loaded, concealed weapon in my vehicle without a permit?

kcgunfan

Yep, as far as the state is concerned. And that is preempted so that cities can't charge you either. But notice that only concealable firearms are covered. People have been arrested for having a long arm in a rifle rack in certain cities.

Edit: words are hard...

Last edited:

SixFoot

Yep, as far as the state is concerned. And that is preempted so that cities can't charge you either. But notice that only concealable firearms are covered. People have been arrested for having a long arm in a rifle track in certain cities.

This is excellent news for me. Thank you for the clarification! Doesn't seem logical that I can't also carry concealed outside of my vehicle. Amendment 5 is unattractive to me for its failure to include such a right when labeling something as "unalienable".

Last edited:

kcgunfan

Laws are changed in small steps. The important thing about Amendment 5 is the text about strict scrutiny. Do some studying on that.

SixFoot

Laws are changed in small steps. The important thing about Amendment 5 is the text about strict scrutiny. Do some studying on that.

I certainly will. Still have a week or so to get clear on all of the amendments proposed this year. Of course, I will be voting in favor of Amendment 5 solely on principle, but I say it doesn't go far enough protecting our sacred rights. I would like to see us become the 6th Constitutional Carry State.

Last edited: