• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle Police Officer asks me if I am allowed to open carry.

EMNofSeattle

NO, there is only one reason why cop does not "know" local/state gun laws, he don't want to know. And, absolutely right, there is a sign and the sign must be correct and lawfully in effect. Why look it up when there is a sign right there.

...gun right activist...:rolleyes:

You make them sound so sinister...exercising their right and all...out in public even.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the education I didn't know gun rights activist was a pejorative.

OC for ME

On 25 July 2014, I was enjoying a walk along the waters of Puget Sound. I was walking along the beach trail of Lincoln Park (a trail I HIGHLY recommend) when this Seattle Police Officer flagged me down and asked me if I was allowed to open carry in a city park. I was unsure if he legitimately did not know the law or he was trying to play "cop games," so I simply informed him I know the laws. He seemed like a nice enough fellow. I get the impression he genuinely did not know the law and probably went and called a supervisor...which is exactly what he should have done, had this been the case.

There are a NUMBER of signs all throughout the park that ban carry of a firearm. These signs are unenforceable and out-dated. I think they can lead to a lot of confusion with people.

I doubt it I have open carried in Seattle before since Jsanchez got his settlement there has been no issue with them
I have no data to dispute your contention.

The OP is not stating, in my view, that he had a issue with the inquisitive cop. Asking the question does not a thug cop make. It is odd that the cop would feel the need to ask a OCer if he was allowed to OC there/here.

Dave_pro2a

You all know this is not uncommon. The "Book" is very large and nobody knows it all. I worked for the US Army Recruiting Command for many, many, years. The regulation that covered it was huge and we were constantly reviewing and verifying to ensure we did not make mistakes. If you "bump" into a law a few times you have it in your mind, if not the reg is their to check. I do not expect a LEO to "know the Law", I expect them to enforce the Law. If that means backing off, calling a supervisor and checking the actual law. Wait a minute, that is already the Law.

Yeah that's an effed up scenario.

The citizens who are paid to enforce all the laws, can't actually know all the laws they are supposed to enforce.

That means every citizen who is supposed to follow the law has an impossible task -- to actually know and understand the laws well enough to follow them.

That creates systemic injustice.

Last edited:

()pen(arry

You all know this is not uncommon. The "Book" is very large and nobody knows it all. I worked for the US Army Recruiting Command for many, many, years. The regulation that covered it was huge and we were constantly reviewing and verifying to ensure we did not make mistakes. If you "bump" into a law a few times you have it in your mind, if not the reg is their to check. I do not expect a LEO to "know the Law", I expect them to enforce the Law. If that means backing off, calling a supervisor and checking the actual law. Wait a minute, that is already the Law.

The reason I specifically said that they had no excuse for not knowing the guns laws in their jurisdiction is that gun laws are particularly contentious at this time, guns are particularly likely to arouse strong opinions at this time, gun laws are particularly likely to be actively changing at this time, and law enforcement cock-ups over guns are particularly topical among gun owners and law enforcement at this time. I didn't say cops have no excuse for not knowing all laws in their jurisdiction. I said they have no excuse for not knowing the gun laws in their jurisdiction. I agree with you on the broader topic, but on the particular topic of gun laws, they have no excuse.

Dave_pro2a

A cop who asks a "civilian" if something is legal or not is looking to trap the civilian.

I remember the time my Doctor asked me "So Mr. Patient, what do you think that lump on your lung is? Because I have no friggen idea."

Or a mechanic, "Hey Bob. I know I'm the professional, but what's your opinion about that knocking sound? Because I don't know what the heck it could be."

Or a cop that said "Excuse me 'citizen,' but do you happen to know what the law says about that? Because I sure don't and maybe I should be arresting you."

Last edited:

END_THE_FED

Yeah that's an effed up scenario.

The citizens who are paid to enforce all the laws, can't actually know all the laws they are supposed to enforce.

That means every citizen who is supposed to follow the law has an impossible task -- to actually know and understand the laws well enough to follow them.

That creates systemic injustice.

That is by design.

There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime, that it becomes impossible to live without breaking laws. – Ayn Rand

[h=1][/h]

OC for ME

Maybe gun laws in other states are convoluted and lengthy. In Missouri they are pretty simple and succinct. I employ the plain reading method to understand them...cops, who knows.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran

I read the comments section. Pity. These people do not give a rats butt that he was not breaking any laws, there was no one intimidated and no one arrested. They did not want to SEE guns. CC is acceptable but not visible carry. I don't like to see people with their pants down around their butts. THEY should conceal.

sudden valley gunner

Maybe gun laws in other states are convoluted and lengthy. In Missouri they are pretty simple and succinct. I employ the plain reading method to understand them...cops, who knows.

They are pretty simple here too. The state preempts all firearm regulations, and only very few specific places are disallowed.

heresolong

From Dem0s at reddit:

<quote>This looks like a cop being nice and not just writing this guy a ticket. With a friendly reminder that he is breaking the law. His wording could use some help though. </quote>

Except that he wasn't breaking any laws.

Attachments

• thisshitagainsm.jpg
    thisshitagainsm.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 189

Difdi

Ok maybe he is "dumb" or didn't know.

People often assume that the law in one place is the law everywhere. Police are just as prone to it as anyone else, though they have less excuse given the nature of their jobs.

So, you're saying that it's dumb to open carry?

And once again, an OCDO poster rears his head and savages his natural ally thereby proving that an armed society is NOT a polite society.