• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McKenna Park signage

Bill Starks

State Researcher
McKenna River Park, McKenna Washington

Found this today while enjoying time out. Besides the obvious firearms issue, the dog issue is throwing me as well. All over the park there are signs that say no pets but the rules say pets must be on a leash, so which is it? I'll be sending a letter over on Monday to correct the sign on the firearms issue.

mckennapark_zpseafcbee9.jpg

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Also it says that it is patrolled by Pierce County sheriff dept., in Lewis county????????????????? Some serious drinking going on in the sign shop.

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
received an email reply today....

Mr. Starks,

This property is actually owned and managed by the City Electric Light Department and I have contacted ML Norton the Director about your concerns. He can be reached at 360-330-7512.

Emil Pierson, AICP
Community Development Director
118 West Maple Street
P.O. Box 609
Centralia , WA 98531-0609
(360) 330-7662 FAX (360) 330-7673
www.cityofcentralia.com

so now I get to play the hand-off game.... I guess they don't know me very well..

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
received an email reply today....

Mr. Starks,

This property is actually owned and managed by the City Electric Light Department and I have contacted ML Norton the Director about your concerns. He can be reached at 360-330-7512.

Emil Pierson, AICP
Community Development Director
118 West Maple Street
P.O. Box 609
Centralia , WA 98531-0609
(360) 330-7662 FAX (360) 330-7673
www.cityofcentralia.com

so now I get to play the hand-off game.... I guess they don't know me very well..
Presume they will :)

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Bill,

Your request was immediately given to our Yelm Hydro Project Generation Manager and he has plans to upgrade the sign and remove the gun note from the sign. We had to check with our attorney and she agreed that this item should not be on the sign. The conflict between the on-leash and no animals note will also be resolved. Our Yelm Hydro Project Generation Manager is a member of the Washington State Guard and he has been called up to assist with the fires on the east side of the state.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns or questions. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner with this update.

Have a good weekend,

M.L. Norton

General Manager
Centralia - City Light
Office: (360) 330-7512
1100 N. Tower Ave.
Centralia, WA 98531
MLNorton@cityofcentralia.com
Direct Number: 360-623-1938
Office Number: 360-330-7512 x238

rlacsamana1989

Would beaches fall under this also? I was at Jetty Island in Everett and saw a sign similar to this.

The island has park rangers that work on it so I wasn't sure.

911Grunt

I drove by the park today, the sign has been changed (working on getting the photo uploaded) it now states "unlawful firearms prohibited" :banghead:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I drove by the park today, the sign has been changed (working on getting the photo uploaded) it now states "unlawful firearms prohibited" :banghead:

How classy of them. Honor is a word that they never heard of before.

And how about that rule "pets must be on a leash"? If you bring a pet goldfish....lol

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
One does not typically see "unlawful firearms." Maybe unlawful people.

They are just playing with the words to attempt to give the impression that they are doing something to protect people, when in fact they are creating a potentially dangerous situation for legal carriers........wonder if they care.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion

So, will they seize the "unlawful firearms" and justify it in court with a civil forfeiture law like has been done with so many cars, houses, boats, airplanes, and cash belonging to others who themselves have never been charged with a crime but the local police agency had an arrangement with the feds on a percentage bounty of all assets seized!?:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

911Grunt

here are the 2 signs they have up

Attachments

• mckenna park sign 1.jpg
    mckenna park sign 1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 101
  • mckenna park sign 2.jpg
    mckenna park sign 2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 96

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

[h=2]RCW 9.41.290[/h][h=1]State preemption.[/h]
The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

The sign shop did not make the signs w/o being so directed. So by whom and with what authorization? Ordinance or personal opinion? An ordinance would appear to be illegal and you should not be governed/controlled by the personal opinion of a petty bureaucrat, which has no force of law.

There is no state authorization for such signs; therefore IMO they are illegal.