• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McKenna Park signage

CitizenJohn

Almost as bad as the Washington State Ferry that has illegally possessed firearms on their prohibited items list :banghead:

I looked this up on the Washington State Ferry web site and all they do is quote RCW 9.41.050. Are you perhaps talking about signage on a particular ferry? The only one I am familiar with is the service from Cathlamet and I've never seen any signs regarding firearms.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by CitizenJohn

I looked this up on the Washington State Ferry web site and all they do is quote RCW 9.41.050. Are you perhaps talking about signage on a particular ferry? The only one I am familiar with is the service from Cathlamet and I've never seen any signs regarding firearms.
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/pdf/2015Winter.pdf

In the Safety and Security section.

Prohibited items include,
but are not limited to: explosive or incendiary
devices, chemical, biological, radiological
agents or devices, unlawful or illegally-
possessed firearms, and illegal fireworks.

Now there is an interesting conundrum - the ferries are part of a state agency, who it appears are not restricted by the statute. Would seem that either the legislature by refining the statute or the govenor by directive could clear this confusion up.

No doubt though but the signage/information has a chilling effect on legal carry.

CitizenJohn

Now there is an interesting conundrum - the ferries are part of a state agency, who it appears are not restricted by the statute. Would seem that either the legislature by refining the statute or the govenor by directive could clear this confusion up.

No doubt though but the signage/information has a chilling effect on legal carry.

Being relatively new to this forum, I've probably missed the conversations concerning "state agencies" not being restricted by the statute. Care to elaborate or refer me to a forum section?

Thanks

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Being relatively new to this forum, I've probably missed the conversations concerning "state agencies" not being restricted by the statute. Care to elaborate or refer me to a forum section?

Thanks

If you read Washington relevant statute (RCW 9.41.290) you will see that "....Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities..." are restricted but the state does not restrict itself. In fact it reserves (fully occupies and preempts) that for itself. Therefore either the legislature by statute or the governor by directive can directly impact what a state agency does.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.290

That is my understanding as a fairly well informed layman.