• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man held at gunpoint for legal OC

1FASTC4

If he slings his rifle on his back and goes for a walk with his girl is he still seeking attention or just taking his and her security seriously?

I got to know is it your option that only people that can afford a pistol or are over 21 have the right to defend themselves?

You have already answered your own question.. he's not trolling for video...he's choosing to be able to protect himself/loved ones from bad guys.

Isn't it ridiculous that an 18 year old can join the armed services, carry a weapon in the defense of our country, possibly be maimed or killed in the process, but he/she cannot carry a weapon on home soil as a matter of self protection? This hypocrisy always leaves me shaking my head.

1FASTC4

Fair enough. I posted on the first quote of yours before reading this one. I'm sure you are right and there are people out there that OC long guns just to get attention.
I don't OC long guns off my property. For a variety of reasons I don't think it's a good idea. However I support everyone's rights. And get a little tired of people attacking the way other people carry.

Antis attack the CCers.
CCers attack OCers.
Handgun OC attack long gun OCers.
RPG carriers attack long gun carriers. :monkey
lol anyway lets stick together and support each other.

I agree with your point about supporting other OC'ers. What concerns me is that people trolling for a confrontation with the police just for the sake of garnering attention or maybe a lawsuit are serving their own self interests and not that of the OC community. Like the guy carrying a long gun and a pistol as he shops at Walmart: does he really need to shoulder an AR15 or AK variant as well as a side arm? Maybe his motives really are pure and he is trying to bring attention to the danger of losing our 2nd amendments rights. I think there are better ways of going about it. Just as likely, he is looking for a confrontation to video tape. Either way, I'm not convinced this is the best way to further our cause of the defense of the RTKBA. But hey, this is just my opinion. I'm just a guy with some thoughts, no expert. I could be entirely wrong.

wimwag

But then again, it is his right. So who are you to question his motives? The great thing about rights is that you don't need a reason to exercise them. Got a reason? Great! Don't? Who cares? It's your right.

protias

I actually agree with one of the police points. People who open carrying long guns in town, when not related to hunting in some way, are just attention seekers.

Who would want a rifle anyway? It's not like it is easier to shoot at longer distances or anything...Or possibly in a Colorado theater...ya, you're right, no one should carry a long gun...

/sarcasm

DocWalker

You have already answered your own question.. he's not trolling for video...he's choosing to be able to protect himself/loved ones from bad guys.

Isn't it ridiculous that an 18 year old can join the armed services, carry a weapon in the defense of our country, possibly be maimed or killed in the process, but he/she cannot carry a weapon on home soil as a matter of self protection? This hypocrisy always leaves me shaking my head.

Ok you are talking from both sides now, in your post #12 on this thread you say....

"I actually agree with one of the police points. People who open carrying long guns in town, when not related to hunting in some way, are just attention seekers."

Then you agree with me that in my scenario were an 18 year old that can't buy a pistol and only has a rifle isn't "attention seeking" but just carrying a rifle for self protection. It seems you are saying in one post (post #12) that anyone carrying a rifle is attention seeking but seem to agree with me that this lad can carry a rifle?

twoskinsonemanns

I agree with your point about supporting other OC'ers. What concerns me is that people trolling for a confrontation with the police just for the sake of garnering attention or maybe a lawsuit are serving their own self interests and not that of the OC community. Like the guy carrying a long gun and a pistol as he shops at Walmart: does he really need to shoulder an AR15 or AK variant as well as a side arm? Maybe his motives really are pure and he is trying to bring attention to the danger of losing our 2nd amendments rights. I think there are better ways of going about it. Just as likely, he is looking for a confrontation to video tape. Either way, I'm not convinced this is the best way to further our cause of the defense of the RTKBA. But hey, this is just my opinion. I'm just a guy with some thoughts, no expert. I could be entirely wrong.

Trolling for a confrontation with cops OC an AR does not seem like a fun time to me or very smart and I absolutely support any one that disagrees with me and chooses to do it.

It's not my place to control everyone and force them to be me. I know if I ever catch myself thinking something that begins with "does he really need..." Then I remind myself it's irrelevant.
does he really need...a gun at all?
does he really need...two guns?
does he really need...a gun with more than 10 rounds?
does he really need...a gun with a bigger caliber than 9mm?

the only real question I have is... is he directly hurting someone?

rightwinglibertarian

Open carry incident leads to changes in county policy

Well I should hope so! I'm having trouble watching the video due to slow internet here but from what I can read

Two Calumet County deputies approached. One pointed a rifle at Polster. He admittedly became irate.

“Not proud of the vulgarity, but I definitely was not happy with having a rifle pointed at me,” said Polster.

Of course. He was having his life threatened by police who had no right to even stop him at all (US V Debery).

....the chief deputy stands by his officers actions.

“They handled the incident appropriately.

ummm......I don't know whether to think he's a liar or just plain ignorant. I'm only sorry I live on the other side of the state and don't drive. I'd get over there with Appleton Copblock who are practically next door and enjoy a nice protest - open carrying in said park of course.

1FASTC4

Ok you are talking from both sides now, in your post #12 on this thread you say....

" It seems you are saying in one post (post #12) that anyone carrying a rifle is attention seeking but seem to agree with me that this lad can carry a rifle?

I amended that in a later post.

Rusty Young Man

Trolling for a confrontation with cops OC an AR does not seem like a fun time to me or very smart and I absolutely support any one that disagrees with me and chooses to do it.

It's not my place to control everyone and force them to be me. I know if I ever catch myself thinking something that begins with "does he really need..." Then I remind myself it's irrelevant.
does he really need...a gun at all?
does he really need...two guns?
does he really need...a gun with more than 10 rounds?
does he really need...a gun with a bigger caliber than 9mm?

the only real question I have is... is he directly hurting someone?

+1
As soon as we begin to justify why our OPINION should be the measure of a Right, we begin to slide down that greased incline that inevitably leads to Opinion Enforcement policies full of "but", "except", and other conditions equating to nothing but infringements.
The only way to protect a Right is to defend it whenever it is threatened, even if we don't personally partake in it.

Last edited:

1FASTC4

+1
As soon as we begin to justify why our OPINION should be the measure of a Right, we begin to slide down that greased incline that inevitably leads to Opinion Enforcement policies full of "but", "except", and other conditions equating to nothing but infringements.
The only way to protect a Right is to defend it whenever it is threatened, even if we don't personally partake in it.

I hope you didn't construe my opinion as wanting to curtail the right for someone to choose what to carry. All I said was that in some videos it seems plain to me that the subject is out looking for a confrontation rather than self protection or education.

Rusty Young Man

I hope you didn't construe my opinion as wanting to curtail the right for someone to choose what to carry. All I said was that in some videos it seems plain to me that the subject is out looking for a confrontation rather than self protection or education.

My post was not directed at you in particular, though even someone "looking for attention" by his/her choice/mode of carry should not be criticized for it so long as it is being done in a safe, law-abiding manner. And even then, there's that whole thing about an unjust law...:confused:

My post was more of a venting of my frustrations to hearing so many people (mainly in the CC-only, permission-slip required bunch) admonish the activists or fellow carriers for "rocking the boat".:(

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFzPC0mCPAY

I believe this video applies to this subject
Open carrying is a choice.
Carrying what you feel is essential for your protection is a choice.
And I for one fully support open carrying for protection and to advance our gun rights!
If we don't constantly push our 2nd amendment right forward then we are settling for it to be slowly diminished.
It's up to us to help and support each other !
Have a good day everyone I'm loving this group

Let's "rock" the boat and let everyone understand our rights!

Last edited:

apjonas

Naw, it's attention seeking behavior. Not that there

Besides education I would also say people that are under 21 should be able to protect themselves. Scenario: An 18 year old private in the army who has a rifle his grandfather gave him would like to go out with his new girl. He can't legally buy a pistol due to his age or can't afford to buy one and doesn't want to go out without protection knowing 911 has a 10-15 minute response time. If he slings his rifle on his back and goes for a walk with his girl is he still seeking attention or just taking hisand her security seriously?

I got to know is it your option that only people that can afford a pistol or are over 21 have the right to defend themselves?

is anything wrong with that....

Why is his being a "private in the army" relevant? Of course, even a private can afford a pistol (via private purchase) or maybe he could put it on his birthday gift wish list. Most girls of that age would not be happy/impressed with a date carrying a long gun on a romantic walk. Is it your opinion that 17 year olds don't have the right to defend themselves? 16? 15?.....

Last edited: