• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time OC

BlowMonkey5

So, I've been lurking on this site for a while now, and I decided to step into the light. I OC'ed for the first time this weekend and let me tell you what happened......nothing! My son and I went to Zaxby"s for supper on Saturday, nobody gave me a second glance. I also went to two grocery stores later that night, and not one single person in either store noticed the big black gun on my side(Hi-Point C9)(for all you gun snobs-this is the very first handgun I ever purchased...I had it because it holds a special place in my heart...you never forget your first::D) I usually conceal carry, however, I will be OCing more in the future.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Nothing wrong with a Hi-Point. I carry "obsolte" (which I guess means they aren't lethal anymore) milsurp guns usually, and some people don't approve of those, either. That's okay...

But do be aware, however, that OC-ing DOES present a few "challenges" that CC-ers do not face, so be prepared for them.

For example, OC-ing is not for the more "timid" people/carriers out there (like most CC-ers are) so on the negative side of OC-ing, be prepared for dealing with any "disapproving" looks or comments from the general public (if any, or, on occasion) -- and even the same from any fellow gun-owners or CC-ers you know or meet out there. Hopefully, the cops in your area will already be up-to-speed on OC-ing and won't be any problem.

At the same time (on the positive side of OC-ing) also be prepared to help educate people who ask you about OC-ing, so we can get more people out there on the streets doing the very same. So think about a "list" of reasons for OC-ing, or, even print them out on a small (business) card to hand out to people who inquire, as sooner or later, you will have people ask you about it (and they CAN'T ask CC-ers because they can't see THEM carrying, so no such conversations ever take place). Or, get one of those "tri-fold" pamphlets some people have made up that they hand-out to interested people...it gives them something to check out later on rather than trying to remember all you said in your conversation.

Right now though, just get used to OC-ing yourself...but do come up with some "prepared responses" you can offer for any comments (good or bad) you may get.

Since you mention you've been lurking here for a while, I'm sure you've read up on & are aware of what I am talking about above.

Happy OC-ing!

P.S. Don't forget, we need to EDUCATE CC-ers also, so that they better understand OC. Presently, too many of them are anti-OC (even though most of us ALSO have CC permits) and that has to change. Since it's probably due to simple ignorance re: OC, education should fix that (but stupid you can't fix).

Whatever, CARRIERS -- OC and CC -- can't afford to be divided like that!

Last edited:

BlowMonkey5

thanks for the advice, Cloudcroft. I had prepared myself for "the looks of horror and/or comments of a-holes" when I walked out the door. I just didn't get any gruff from anyone. I also had my cc gun on me, so if the cops had stopped me, I would have to produce id. Gotta do that in NC. It's the law:p. I forgot to say that on Sunday, I went to Bojangles for lunch and saw another guy OCing . I saw him...he saw me...we both did the "head nod thing". None of the other customers said anything to either of us. I'm beginning to think that most people just aren't that observant.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO and the joys of open carrying.

We tried to warn you, but you had to go and find out for yourself, didn't you? All that paranoia and practicing in front of the mirror and to your dog/cat/goldfish of what you would say when someone called you out for being a terrorist went totally to waste, didn't it.

Seriously, 99+% of your experiernces will probably be like that. But just on the off chance that some day ending in the letter "Y" is when you run into that person who just has to get all up in the face of someone standing there with a gun on their hip, a digital voice recorder or two (one is none, two is one, and having a backup to pull out of your pocket and turn on never hurts anything) is worth the investment. Get one that you can run all day long (possible with an SD card) and turn it on just as you start to open the door to go out. Turn it off when you are getting ready to go to bed. Most days you will erase everything and feel good about doing so. Every once in a while you will come home and download something - a jerk being a jerk, some cop/gun counter legal expert whose pronouncements need to be saved for the ages, or that person who just had to get all in your face and make all sorts of threats that you and your attorney will just love to remind of their exact words.

Check the NC forum for info on activities and legal stuff.

stay safe.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
BlowMonkey5 ,

...you haven't gotten any gruff YET. And you may NEVER, true. In the year I've been here in COS, I've only had one POSSIBLY negative look and remark to go with it (by a "grandpa" with is 2 grandkids). Just be prepared was all I meant. You need to have a contingency plan, just in case. Otherwise, we can be caught off-guard and scramble to come up with something intelligent to say!

So my point is to you -- and to ALL people new at OC-ing -- just be aware (as you probably are) that since people can SEE your gun, they can react to it. For better or worse, decent civilians and criminals alike. Not so for CC-ers -- and that's the way they like it, as they think no further about all this than their personal interest, rather than the "Big Picture" if you will.

I agree with skidmark: MOST of the time, anything that IS said will be positive. Rarely negative.

99% of the time, however, no one notices or if they do, say nothing, and some will just probably think you're a LEO -- even though you sport no shiny badge on your belt...because people aren't USED to seeing regular citizens carry. That's ONE reason OC-ers carry, to change that "conditioning." For example, I was at one of my favorite Starbucks in ABQ, NM, once (WAY before Starbucks asked carriers not to go there anymore, so I don't, thank you), and 2 people asked me if I was a "Homeland Security" officer.

Anyway, even *I* don't notice any OC-ers unless I specifically look for them.

...except the last time in a Walmart when the corner of my eye caught two large magazines on a guy's off-side belt position...so I looked for his strong side and saw a big "scary" cocked & locked semi-auto. A Desert Eagle 50AE in Walmart? Should such a crew-served weapon be "deployed" indoors it'd sure make a mess to clean up, yes? Especially as it was in the Diary products area with all those milk jugs and such...

Just kidding...carry whatever you want! :)

Happy OC-ing...

Last edited:

nobama

thanks for the advice, Cloudcroft. I had prepared myself for "the looks of horror and/or comments of a-holes" when I walked out the door. I just didn't get any gruff from anyone. I also had my cc gun on me, so if the cops had stopped me, I would have to produce id. Gotta do that in NC. It's the law:p. I forgot to say that on Sunday, I went to Bojangles for lunch and saw another guy OCing . I saw him...he saw me...we both did the "head nod thing". None of the other customers said anything to either of us. I'm beginning to think that most people just aren't that observant.

Welcome! glad it went well. May I ask what part of NC ? I too live in NC and OC a lot. Check out the NC section for the OC meet and greet which we have every 1st Fri of the month at Prissy Pollys BBQ in Kernersville 6PM. If your around, feel free to join us.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
You 2 guys should put in your "Location" (to the left) under your Forum ID.

Don't worry, we won't come to your house (as if we could find it anyway)...it just helps the rest of us context-wise when you post, as states differ in their laws, etc..

Plus, you might even find someone posting from your same town/city...and if so, PM them & get some OC events going there!

Or post upcoming events in the "North Carolina Events" area of the NC sub-forum (at the top).

Happy OC-ing to those in DC...at least for now...unless the 90-day (?) stay DC asked for today is granted...don't celebrate TOO early.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
BM welcome to OCDO! :) I may not have a HP pistol, but I have the 9mm carbine which is one of my favorites. Just go about your daily business. In more than 4 years I've had only one negative comment. I can't speak for your area, but people seem to have negative experiences is when they make it an issue. Carry that HP proud!

ETA: To all people who post, please put your location. We don't need your street address, but at least the state so we can give a more informed answer to your question.

Last edited:

nobama

You 2 guys should put in your "Location" (to the left) under your Forum ID.

Don't worry, we won't come to your house (as if we could find it anyway)...it just helps the rest of us context-wise when you post, as states differ in their laws, etc..

Plus, you might even find someone posting from your same town/city...and if so, PM them & get some OC events going there!

Or post upcoming events in the "North Carolina Events" area of the NC sub-forum (at the top).

Happy OC-ing to those in DC...at least for now...unless the 90-day (?) stay DC asked for today is granted...don't celebrate TOO early.

Not to hijack the thread but how can I go back and add personal info? I tried to do it but not sure how, short of reregistering.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
let me tell you what happened......nothing!
(Hi-Point C9)(for all you gun snobs-this is the very first handgun I ever purchased.....

Nothing wrong with a Hi-Point. I carry "obsolte" (which I guess means they aren't lethal anymore) milsurp guns usually, and some people don't approve of those, either. That's okay...

First...welcome to the light. I did the lurking thing before making any comments. Yes, nothing happens. Is that not great!

Nothing wrong with a weapon that produces the desired effect. I, too, carry "obsolete" military weapons. My EDC is a CZ82, but it is in the shop so I edc the Ruger P85. I like lanyard rings on my pistols.
Again, Welcom and enjoy your new found Freedom.

dustin88

Welcome to the world of OC. Ain't nothin' wrong with a Hi-Point, that was my first gun as well, and I carry it every time I go somewhere. Yeah people don't normally notice or say anything. I have been carrying for only 6 months, and so far no negative responses, then again I live in the back woods of the mountains, so people don't really care.

Jamesm760

Welcome to OCing and OCDO!!

There is a meet this Friday in Kernersville, NC and another on Saturday in Concord, NC.

North Carolina Events:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?228-North-Carolina-Events

I've been open carrying for a almost 3 years and have not had a negative encounter yet, only great conversations with people at the ammo cases in wally world. I still remember my first time going out in public with my sidearm, I felt like everyone would be staring at me... pfft.

BlowMonkey5

so, I OC'ed for the third time last night. Went to Harris Teeter (nobody batted an eye) and went to Wal-mart where I had my first comment from anyone. A retired NYPD came up to me in the ammo aisle and asked what I was carrying. I told him it was my Hi-Point C9. He said he had just moved to NC from NY two weeks ago and I was the second OC'er he had seen. I told him that NC is an open carry state and he should join the movement. We talked about guns and his move to NC for about 20 minutes. Overall, it was a good night.

WalkingWolf

Welcome to OCDO and OCing. You will find that most conversations will be positive, every once in a while a few stares. The most common question we are asked is "are those real". As far as the HP we own a 380 but it is a range gun for the wife. She did carry it until I got her a Glock 22, before the HP and the G22 she carried my Star Super A. There is nothing wrong with a HP for carry, it will get the job done and that is what matters.

BlowMonkey5

So, once again I ventured out to the Harris Teeter while stowing the C9 on my hip. Nothing was said, nor did I get any "looks" as far as I can tell. Next stop the Dairy Queen. The line for the drive-thru was wrapped around the building, so I figured "what the Hell?" and went inside. Had to stand in line for a few minutes listening to a fortyish-something man talk about Justin Beiber of all things to his friends. At some point, he must have noticed I was carrying because he suddenly shut up and his eyes went wide.:shocker: They never said anything after that, they all got their order and got outta Dodge. I finally get to the counter to order, where the teenage girl working says " Nice gun", and proceeds to take my order. Just another day in the OC.

Kopis

Yes, i started OCing very cautiously after joining this site. Wife and i went to sams club, lowes and kroger all in one night....... Much like yourself, no one even noticed. As time has passed though, ive seen that the only people that seem to notice are people Im kind of keeping an eye on anyway. "Less than reputable people"