• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spike in crime at UofL medschool area

poetdante

Recently we have had 3 armed robberies and just this morning a failed armed robbery resulting in someone getting shot. Below are the last 3 alerts sent out (first ones to faculty only and I dont have the one that happened just after July 4)

July 4: 500 Block of Marshall St around shelby st I think.

July 22 2014 at 4:28pm email

The Louisville Metro Police Department is investigating an armed robbery of a UofL student near the Health Sciences Center. The student reported that the robbery occurred Tuesday, July 22, at about*8:50 a.m.*in the 500 block of Marshall Street.

The victim described the suspect as a black male in his 30s, about 5’8” tall, with short hair and a scruffy beard. He was wearing a black t-shirt and black shorts and was armed with a hand gun.

The suspect left on foot.

This is the second reported robbery in that area this month. If you have any information on either case please contact the UofL Police at852-6111.

July 23 2014 6:16pm email
UofL employee reported a robbery at about3:30 p.m.*July 23 near the corner of Marshall and Hancock streets. The victim says a black male walking westbound on Marshall displayed a black, small-frame semi-automatic pistol and demanded his personal possessions. The victim described the suspect as being in his early 20s, about 5’7” and medium to slender build. The suspect had no facial hair, and his hair was covered by a bandana. He was wearing a black, short-sleeve shirt, dark baggy jeans and tennis shoes.

This is the third robbery of a UofL student or employee in this area within the past two weeks. UofL police and LMPD are beefing up security, and they advise caution when traveling through this area.

And today's alerts that actually went out to the students

8:38am
UofL Police are on the scene of a shooting at the corner of Jackson & Liberty St. EMS en route. Suspect has left the area. More details as available.
11:34
UofL Alert update: A dental school employee is recovering from non life-threatening injuries after a double shooting near HSC this morning.* LMPD reported that one person attempted to rob another, leading to an exchange of gunfire. LMPD is investigating for a connection between this incident and others that have occurred* in recent weeks.

We are disarmed on campus because the schools ans hospitals want to save a few bucks on their insurance is my guess. This ties in nicely with the recent doctor stoping a mass shooting.

I wonder why KY isnt more like Idaho in that students can CC on campus if they have a permit

poetdante

Oh, ya don't say. Caution, in the vicinity of Marshall and Hancock, NO! I am shocked. No reason for caution in that neighborhood. What kind of "caution" do they advise? Look both ways? Hide behind a tree? Run really fast? Buddy system? How about arm yourself?
Well I have been trying to educate all the students and faculty I meet on CC at campus. That it's legal and there is little chance that if done right you'll be found out and disciplined by the school (which is all that can happen). Only one person out of ten didn't even care it was a tradgedy and asked first "why was a school employee bringing a gun to work, what is the university doing to protect us against

Because the public (including you and I) have not demanded it. The General Assembly could change this if their constituents demanded it. Apparently, the citizens of Idaho, Utah, Arizona and other states have made their preference known, while ours remain silent. Also, if the administration changed the policy, which they can do at a whim, they would have to admit that the previous policy was flawed and that they have some responsibility in all of this.
Well, the policy is largely in place due to insurance, I assume. I'm in the process of seeing how all the campuses of Idaho State University have been affected financially through their liability insurance policy. The General Assembly would change it but alas, gun owners seem to be a minority overall. I am thankful that at least the no gun signs carry no weight of law. I try to tell everyone on campus in one way or another that the worst that can happen is you get expelled/fired, try to portray the risk:benefit ratio, and let them decide. Some of the folks that I have been talking to seem to think that there are several CC'ers on campus, and that since I walk to and from school I should consider doing it too :cool:

Did this shooting stop crime? Did the act of self-defense wake people up? Probably not. It made a buzz, people thought about it, but the daunting task of standing up and risking your future is just too daunting to sheeple.

On a more humorous note, a good friend of mine, a professor, said to me I should carry because being alive is better than being expelled, right? I rebutted with: I don't know about that, I'd be alive but with $60k in loans and no job :banghead:

poetdante

I want to read up on that case. If it isnt a matter of money and I can get enough students to be interested in firearms (curiosity of youth can work both ways- they can explore guns instead of hipster culture) then maybe I can get UofL to change its policy. Unlikely. But possible. UofL is forcing students to have a meal plan (which any unused funds go back to the school) and they are forcing freshmen to live on campus. I wonder what they would do if 2000 students showed up open carrying (not unreasonable number if 10% of 15000 students carry).

So far on the med campus the consensus with more students than I expected has been positive. Still no word how they will handle the employee that defended themselves but since he wasnt on campus and they cant prove he was going to campus with his firearm hopefully he will not lose his job

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk