• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1000 foot school zone

Dario

Ah. I hear a lot of people refer to CO as a stop and ID state and what they mean is that if LE asks you for ID for any reason you have to provide it. That they do not have to have RAS in order to demand ID. I thought you may have been stating the same thing.

BLUF: That statutes appear to read, if the officer demands ID (and whatever else the law/statute requires) if you have ID available, you produce. Along with answering the two or three questions the statue requires (save the 5th amendment exclusion, of course... but that is a different debate/topic altogether.)

It is interesting to note, the statute proscribes providing a SSN.

I can not believe that in this day and age, 47 years after Terry v Ohio, people still equate stop and ID with "papers please."

JonStore

I can not believe that in this day and age, 47 years after Terry v Ohio, people still equate stop and ID with "papers please."

I don't understand your point. Are you speaking of the Colorado Legislature who made the law requiring us to produce the I.D., or are you referring to us?

Jon

since9

Campaign Veteran

Colorado law explicitly states you can carry a gun onto school grounds in your vehicle.

C.R.S. 18-12-214

(3) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school; except that:

(a) A permittee may have a handgun on the real property of the public school so long as the handgun remains in his or her vehicle and, if the permittee is not in the vehicle, the handgun is in a compartment within the vehicle and the vehicle is locked;

This agrees with the exception in the gun free school zones act which allows state exceptions for CC permit holders.

Dario

I don't understand your point. Are you speaking of the Colorado Legislature who made the law requiring us to produce the I.D., or are you referring to us?

Jon

Maybe I'm mis-reading your intent sir but you seem to be downplaying the RS part of stop and id.

OC is NOT RS or PC

CSR 16-3-103 only apply to illegal activities. If you are not engaged in said acts, you are not required to produce ID and that includes anyone walking down any street at any time, anywhere in the US.

JonStore

Maybe I'm mis-reading your intent sir but you seem to be downplaying the RS part of stop and id.

OC is NOT RS or PC

CSR 16-3-103 only apply to illegal activities. If you are not engaged in said acts, you are not required to produce ID and that includes anyone walking down any street at any time, anywhere in the US.

You are correct. I do not disagree with this. I am not downplaying the reasonable suspicion. PC is not required by the statute I don't believe. (probable cause).

I'm not sure what OC is in this context... do you mean open conversation?

So yes, the officer must reasonably suspect you are about to or have committed a crime.

That is a question of fact should you get charged. Question of facts are decided by a jury (or judge in cases where jury trial is waived). Some people like to play that game. Some people don't. I do not judge either school of thought. For me as a individual, I care not if the officer suspects me. I'm likely to produce my I.D. I might not answer questions afterwards, but I don't think I will give officers a very difficult time. I've found all the ones I've dealt with to be polite. All officers are not polite and some want to find evidence, yes. But that point is beyond the scope of this topic. My only goal was to reiterate what was required by the statute and how that could possibly fit into a scene where the AG got information from local police with regards to the gun free school zone act. That was my point. See the thread starter and my responses directly following.

I concede the finer points of law... the C.R.S. is there for you to read as well. The question of you producing your I.D. and if *you* feel the officer has RS or not... that is a decision you will make when he demands the identification. No person can tell you what you should do. (except qualified legal advice, which this is not)

Last edited:

Dario

PC is not required by the statute I don't believe. (probable cause).

Except that it does require PC:

16-3-103. Stopping of suspect

(1) A peace officer may stop any person who he reasonably suspects is committing, has committed, or is about to commit a crime and may require him to give his name and address, identification if available, and an explanation of his actions. A peace officer shall not require any person who is stopped pursuant to this section to produce or divulge such person's social security number. The stopping shall not constitute an arrest.

Therefore, does not apply to LAC.

JonStore

Except that it does require PC:

Therefore, does not apply to LAC.

Sir, take my hand and we will walk thru this together...

The statute does not require probable cause, it requires reasonable suspicion.

PC is probable cause. It is very different from reasonable suspicion. One is stronger than the other. I could find Terry v Ohio and Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada for relevant precedent. The supreme court appears silent, I've not found anything.

The statue does not require probable cause. It maintains that the officer has reasonable suspicion.

Here is a primer:

http://thelawdictionary.org/article/definitions-of-probable-cause-vs-reasonable-suspicion/

The statue requires that the officer "reasonable suspects". Also... what in the world is "LAC"?

Jon

p.s. I reasonably suspect that you did not read carefully my entire post.

Here is another quote that was important

"So yes, the officer must reasonably suspect you are about to or have committed a crime. "

Last edited:

Dario

LAC=law abiding citizen

I'm not going to sit here and split hairs with you over pc and rs. They are just varying degrees of the same thing and neither allow cops to demand id of someone that's not breaking the law.

Stop and ID does not mean a cop can just stop anyone and demand their papers like n. Korea

So when you imply that cops don't need pc they only need rs it comes off to me as disingenuous.

JonStore

LAC=law abiding citizen

I'm not going to sit here and split hairs with you over pc and rs. They are just varying degrees of the same thing and neither allow cops to demand id of someone that's not breaking the law.

Stop and ID does not mean a cop can just stop anyone and demand their papers like n. Korea

So when you imply that cops don't need pc they only need rs it comes off to me as disingenuous.

It is not my intent to be insincere. I did not only imply that cops don't need PC... I clearly said they don't. They only need RS. That is the case law, that is the standard, that is the statute. On a site, especially like this one where good people are asking for information; I am going to be damn sure that my information is correct, cited, and relevant. Anything less is a bad thing.

Jon

JamesB

...sniped
Sir, take my hand and we will walk thru this together...

I could find Terry v Ohio and Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada for relevant precedent. The supreme court appears silent, I've not found anything.

The statue does not require probable cause. It maintains that the officer has reasonable suspicion.

Jon

My understanding on this topic is that Hibel- requires that I verbally identify myself by name to the officer. The Colorado statute requires that I verbally give him my address (not date of birth). And that Terry- and Miranda- allows that I do not have to answer any further questions at all (including date of birth).

JonStore

My understanding on this topic is that Hibel- requires that I verbally identify myself by name to the officer. The Colorado statute requires that I verbally give him my address (not date of birth). And that Terry- and Miranda- allows that I do not have to answer any further questions at all (including date of birth).

*scratches head*

Is that what you read in the Colorado Revised Statutes?