Thread: OC can be deterrent to crime: Brett Pucillo, president of Ohio Carry

OC can be deterrent to crime: Brett Pucillo, president of Ohio Carry

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...can_be_de.html

Some also believe that open carry is a great deterrent to crime. Why would a criminal attack an open carrier who can clearly defend themselves, when there are other victims around? Some might argue that if you open carry, you are a target for criminals, and give up your tactical advantage and will just be shot first. The fact is, that is such a miniscule statistic that that scenario is implausible to say the least. But, what statistics CANNOT keep track of is how many times an openly carried firearm has deterred a crime. Criminals do not report to police departments every time they chose not to commit a crime because of openly carried firearms. I would be willing to bet that the chance of deterring a crime is MUCH greater than being shot due to an openly carried firearm.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

It has been my experience, from observing those around me, that the presence of a holstered, visible firearm is a strong deterrent to crime. I've watched more than one less-than-reputable looking character start in my direction, then abruptly change or reverse direction upon seeing my sidearm.

Most criminals prefer a soft target and a target that is visibly armed is a clue to them to go on to greener pastures.

While open carrying, I am far more concerned about those around us who are mentally unstable than I am about the garden-variety criminal.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by sfcretired View Post
    it has been my experience, from observing those around me, that the presence of a holstered, visible firearm is a strong deterrent to crime. I've watched more than one less-than-reputable looking character start in my direction, then abruptly change or reverse direction upon seeing my sidearm.

Most criminals prefer a soft target and a target that is visibly armed is a clue to them to go on to greener pastures.

While open carrying, i am far more concerned about those around us who are mentally unstable than i am about the garden-variety criminal.
    agreed!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"