Thread: Vacation time.

Vacation time.

I will be coming to Myrtle Beach next week for a week. What are the three main things I should pay attention to when I conceal carry with my West Virginia license.

No Speedo when CCing on the beach.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

It's all laid out here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i...9897.html&

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Uggh! TMI. From the citation
    This one's kind of hard to explain. My wife and I are into a rather unusual type of entertainment, and I've discovered that normal duct tape adheres very well to human skin. You should also know that I'm quite overweight, bordering on obese. In a flash of revelation one fine morning, I realized that one of the advantages of being rotund is that I'm able to conceal a NAA mini-revolver between the two largest rolls of my belly. A bit of duct tape holds it in place. Its completely invisible when I'm standing or sitting upright. It does show a bit when I recline or lie down, however.
    OPie, what no one is saying is that there aren't three main things to attend while concealing in SC; or, if it's a quiz question, I give up. What are the three main things?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

SC law and updates

here's a link to current law and recent updates. One recent change allows CC into restaurants selling alcohol, but can't consume and can't carry if there are compliant signs at the entrances. You may find some places in Myrtle Beach with compliant signs and some without. Compliant signs are subject to strict size and print requirements but, if an establishment is posting and the sign is not compliant, why bother to go in to begin with? Just gets you off the hook if they find you are carrying, ask you to leave, you don't leave, and then they can call police. You have not violated the law if the signs are not compliant, but who wants all that hassle to begin with. Just go somewhere else, imo. Have fun and spend lots of money. Out economy needs it.

http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

Quote Originally Posted by RK3369 View Post
    here's a link to current law and recent updates. One recent change allows CC into restaurants selling alcohol, but can't consume and can't carry if there are compliant signs at the entrances. You may find some places in Myrtle Beach with compliant signs and some without. Compliant signs are subject to strict size and print requirements but, if an establishment is posting and the sign is not compliant, why bother to go in to begin with? Just gets you off the hook if they find you are carrying, ask you to leave, you don't leave, and then they can call police. You have not violated the law if the signs are not compliant, but who wants all that hassle to begin with. Just go somewhere else, imo. Have fun and spend lots of money. Out economy needs it.

http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx?MenuID=CWP
    Outstanding. Been a few years since we vacationed at Myrtle Beach and I could not CC in restaurants. Glad the law has been changed.
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

So the new number one thing to remember CCW in SC is the required dimensions.

SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.

(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:

(1) clearly visible from outside the building;

(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;

(3) contain the words "NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED" in black one-inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty-five degree angle from the horizontal;

(5) a diameter of a circle; and

(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building's entrance door.

SECTION 23-31-220. Right to allow or permit concealed weapons upon premises; signs.

Nothing contained in this article shall in any way be construed to limit, diminish, or otherwise infringe upon:

(1) the right of a public or private employer to prohibit a person who is licensed under this article from carrying a concealable weapon upon the premises of the business or work place or while using any machinery, vehicle, or equipment owned or operated by the business;

(2) the right of a private property owner or person in legal possession or control to allow or prohibit the carrying of a concealable weapon upon his premises.

The posting by the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control of a sign stating "No Concealable Weapons Allowed" shall constitute notice to a person holding a permit issued pursuant to this article that the employer, owner, or person in legal possession or control requests that concealable weapons not be brought upon the premises or into the work place. A person who brings a concealable weapon onto the premises or work place in violation of the provisions of this paragraph may be charged with a violation of Section 16-11-620. In addition to the penalties provided in Section 16-11-620, a person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of the provisions of this paragraph must have his permit revoked for a period of one year. The prohibition contained in this section does not apply to persons specified in Section 16-23-20, item (1).
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-30-2014 at 11:18 AM.

yes, as they say........"size matters"...........

but I think the legal verbage is just an effort to allow a safe harbor to a permit holder who carries in and is asked to leave by an owner and subsequently refuses. I guess it takes the legal edge off the owners ability to force prosecution in that case, assuming he doesn't agree with carry in general to begin with. IOW, if the signs are not strictly compliant, then an owner has no legal basis to require police to charge a crime against a permit holder who carries into the premesis which, in essence, gives the permit holder much more latitude than the property owner. My earlier point was, even if the signs are not compliant, the owner has already said they don't believe in carry to begin with, so why give them any of your money?

I'd just go somewhere else and kindly let them know that they also are advertising to all the neighborhood criminals that they are a gun free zone so, what the heck, if you're going to rob the place, probably nobody's going to stand in your way.

note, the size requirements are 8 x 12, not 8 1/2 x 11 as in standard letter size copy paper. Thus, you can't post copied signs. You have to go to the expense of having signs made by someone who actually creates a legal size poster, not a copied facsimile. Again, more latitude for the permit holder and more hassle for the owner who doesn't want to allow carry but, what the heck, if they want to interfere with self defense, they should have to go through a little hassle to do so.
    Last edited by RK3369; 07-30-2014 at 04:46 PM.

No. In particular, the size requirement was intended and designed to prevent cheap gun grabbers from running a gunbuster through a Xerox and distributing them - as the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce did, along with some song dance about liability.

exactly..........

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    No. In particular, the size requirement was intended and designed to prevent cheap gun grabbers from running a gunbuster through a Xerox and distributing them - as the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce did, along with some song dance about liability.
    my point about size requirements,,, 8 x 12 not 8.5 x 11 which is typical copy paper size. Thus you can't put up copies of the correct signs and say they are legal, they have to be 8 x 12 or they are not legal. I would agree that the requirement was designed to prevent easy and cheap distribution of signs, as in copied signs, but it also serves to give some legal wiggle room to carriers who just happen to end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. For example, years back New York passed a law regarding trespassing on private property for hunting purposes. In general , if a landowner posted his land with "proper" no trespassing signs, they had the legal basis to prosecute someone for trespass. But the signs had to be affixed to posts, put in the ground not more than 500 yards apart at a certain height, signed by the landowner with his name and address, yada, yada, yada, or they were not legally enforceable. If you trespassed on posted property, you always had the defense that the posting was not in the appropriate form so as to make the charges enforceable in a court of law. As a practical matter, I you trespassed on posted land, you were probably going to end up in a hassle with the landowner anyhow, but the charges wouldn't stick in court. Same thing here. Signs have to be compliant to be enforceable. Making the size requirement something that was not easily reproduceable was probably intended so as to prevent easily mustering a lot of fake sinage everywhere.
    Last edited by RK3369; 07-30-2014 at 04:57 PM.

Interesting article - don't miss the video - of the upcoming Black Bike week...

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/...ers-day-event/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Newarkistan, SPRNJ.

I know it's not fair to all of the folks there. The city has done a decent job of pulling most of itself up out of the swamp.

I always wonder why cities tolerate this sort of stuff. Not saying they need to make everybody hang their guns on the fence as they come into town (see Dean Martin in "Rio Bravo" to see how it's done). But there are ways to respond that do not trample on everybody's 4A rights.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I will be coming to Myrtle Beach next week for a week. What are the three main things I should pay attention to when I conceal carry with my West Virginia license.
    Why is it, and I have asked myself this question before, that people who conceal, come to an obvious Open Carry site, to ask how/where to conceal carry. Are "CC' sites unfriendly? Are OCers smarter? Do we have better access to the laws? Not complaining about it, I see it as "Coming into the (OC) Light".

Tis odd tho.
    Last edited by MSG Laigaie; 05-11-2015 at 09:59 AM. Reason: spelink agen
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Just returned from Myrtle Beach. Did not see any of the new signs and only saw one faded and out dated small gun buster sign on a hotel door.

Lots of sun, sand and surf. Can't wait to go back next year...
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine