Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headline - "The Long Walk" .... "How an open-carry activist found his mission........

Headline - "The Long Walk" .... "How an open-carry activist found his mission........

Style Weekly write-up about the long-gun open-carrier in Richmond, who BTW open carries a pistol too when doing his walks.

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/...nt?oid=2101726
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dubya View Post
    Style Weekly write-up about the long-gun open-carrier in Richmond, who BTW open carries a pistol too when doing his walks.

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/...nt?oid=2101726
    That's actually a pretty fair writeup, especially considering it's Style Weekly.

The fact that he wears a vest bothers me. If he breaks a law...any law no matter how small, that could be considered violent.....like pushing a soccer mom back who's trying to provoke an incident.... he can and probably will be, charged with a felony.

§ 18.2-287.2. Wearing of body armor while committing a crime; penalty.
    Any person who, while committing a crime of violence as defined in § 18.2-288 (2) or a felony violation of § 18.2-248 or subdivision (a) 2 or 3 of § 18.2-248.1, has in his possession a firearm or knife and is wearing body armor designed to diminish the effect of the impact of a bullet or projectile shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony.
    (1990, c. 936; 1997, c. 311.)

Some of the reader comments to that article are interesting, others entertaining, and a couple are out right appalling.

Banned
    They smile at passersby, purchase lemonade and pop into 7-Eleven for a snack.

Call out the national guard ... these hooligans must be stopped at all cost !
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-31-2014 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Rule #19

Thanks T Dubya, it was a balanced story.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    That's actually a pretty fair writeup, especially considering it's Style Weekly.
    Tip o' the hat to Style Weekly for the even-handed coverage, but,WOW, the reader comments really showed how deeply disturbed some antis are:

"In this day and age, when you see a person in a public place carrying a military-style assault rifle -- and not in uniform -- the safest thing to assume is that he or she means you harm.

And the best way to avert said harm is a baseball bat to back of the head.

No jury outside of Florida or Mississippi will find you the least bit at fault."

or this one:

"So, a guy walks into a restaurant with an assault rifle. How many people does he kill before I can act in self defense? If I club him from behind before he shoots anybody am I a hero or guilty of assault?"

Might have to mandate background checks on bat and club purchases.....maybe a psych eval if they aren't in Little League.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-31-2014 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Finished "quote" box

Tip o' the hat to Style Weekly for the even-handed coverage, but,WOW, the reader comments really showed how deeply disturbed some antis are:

"In this day and age, when you see a person in a public place carrying a military-style assault rifle -- and not in uniform -- the safest thing to assume is that he or she means you harm.

And the best way to avert said harm is a baseball bat to back of the head.

No jury outside of Florida or Mississippi will find you the least bit at fault."

or this one:

"So, a guy walks into a restaurant with an assault rifle. How many people does he kill before I can act in self defense? If I club him from behind before he shoots anybody am I a hero or guilty of assault?"

Might have to mandate background checks on bat and club purchases.....maybe a psych eval if they aren't in Little League.
    There is no shortage of anti-gun Yankee Cowards that move here to escape the Fascist idiots THEY elected.

Sadly, they are now trying to change Virginia into the same stupidity they fled from in NY, CT, NJ MA.......because they are too dumb to learn, too stupid to pity, too lazy to do anything to improve themselves.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-31-2014 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Fixed quote reference

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Whole lotta stupidity and hate in the comments following that article.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

The fact that he wears a vest bothers me. If he breaks a law...any law no matter how small, that could be considered violent.....like pushing a soccer mom back who's trying to provoke an incident.... he can and probably will be, charged with a felony.

Any person who, while committing a crime of violence as defined in § 18.2-288 (2) or a felony violation of § 18.2-248 or subdivision (a) 2 or 3 of § 18.2-248.1, has in his possession a firearm or knife and is wearing body armor designed to diminish the effect of the impact of a bullet or projectile shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony.
    (1990, c. 936; 1997, c. 311.)
    Any person who, while committing a crime of violence as defined in § 18.2-288

§ 18.2-288. Definitions.
    When used in this article:
    (2) "Crime of violence" applies to and includes any of the following crimes or an attempt to commit any of the same, namely, murder, manslaughter, kidnapping, rape, mayhem, assault with intent to maim, disable, disfigure or kill, robbery, burglary, housebreaking, breaking and entering and larceny.

Am I missing something? Doesn't look like pushing a soccer mom qualifies as one of the acts of violence while wearing a vest as defined by 18.2-288 or does pushing a soccer mom committing mayhem?

Looks like 18.2-288 limits the list of acts of violence to pretty serious acts of violence
    Last edited by mobeewan; 07-31-2014 at 04:44 AM.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Quote Originally Posted by mobeewan View Post
    Any person who, while committing a crime of violence as defined in § 18.2-288

§ 18.2-288. Definitions.
    When used in this article:
    (2) "Crime of violence" applies to and includes any of the following crimes or an attempt to commit any of the same, namely, murder, manslaughter, kidnapping, rape, mayhem, assault with intent to maim, disable, disfigure or kill, robbery, burglary, housebreaking, breaking and entering and larceny.

Am I missing something? Doesn't look like pushing a soccer mom qualifies as one of the acts of violence while wearing a vest as defined by 18.2-288 or does pushing a soccer mom committing mayhem?

Looks like 18.2-288 limits the list of acts of violence to pretty serious acts of violence
    Well.....Scouser put a gun in his holster in his car and was convicted of Brandishing. Skidmark pointed his finger and said "Big Boy " and was charged with Brandishing. One time I told a School Census taker that I was going to have her arrested if she didn't get off te property and she charged me with assault. A man in Henrico was arrested for carrying a concealed handgun in his glove box (After Secured Container was law) and even though the Magistrate refused to write the warrant, the Officer still wrote a summons which the courts convicted him on until the Court of Appeals reversed it. The Richmond PD confiscated a gun from an OC'er and refused to give it back for over a year despite no crime being committed.

The list can go on for many pages mobeewan.....Just because the law doesn't look like it can apply doesn't mean it won't be charged anyway. I once saw a protester dragged off and charged with felony wearing a mask for having a scarf over his chin in 20 degree weather.

Note what I said:
    he can and probably will be, charged with a felony."
    I didn't say it was proper.
    The distance between the intent of a law and the harsh reality of it's implementation is light years....And yes, with a good lawyer and the price of new car, you can usually beat it. But not always.
    Last edited by peter nap; 07-31-2014 at 05:58 AM.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    [QUOTE=va_tazdad;2079095]
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Reddy View Post

There is no shortage of anti-gun Yankee Cowards that move here to escape the Fascist idiots THEY elected.

Sadly, they are now trying to change Virginia into the same stupidity they fled from in NY, CT, NJ MA.......because they are too dumb to learn, too stupid to pity, too lazy to do anything to improve themselves.
    This has happened in the close-in* counties and cities in my area. They are infested with foreigners (the non-indigenous people from this and other countries) who have done just what you have written. Mostly they came here because of the excellent job market. But it doesn't matter. They don't shed their socio-political baggage before settling into our communitees and adopt our culture as their own. We have seen this time and time again and there are concrete examples of them trying to change that which has been our normal way of life for generations. Just look what has happened to a good deal of Florida. There is a saying down there that goes, "If you want to go South, go north". Wonder what brought that one about with the locals?

* Close-in = Northern Virginia
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    [ ... ] We have seen this time and time again and there are concrete examples of them trying to change that which has been our normal way of life for generations. Just look what has happened to a good deal of Florida. There is a saying down there that goes, "If you want to go South, go north". Wonder what brought that one about with the locals?
    The situation, if not the saying, infests Charleston, SC, where folks from-off want their new retirement home to be juust like Cincinnati or Pittsburg, just like home that they fled.

As with any current, when one particle moves to a lower potential, its hole moves to a higher potential.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Oops?

[QUOTE=va_tazdad;2079095]

How am I getting credit for another user's post? Is that a cut & paste or a formatting issue?

Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post

How am I getting credit for another user's post? Is that a cut & paste or a formatting issue?
    Just in case them Yankees took offence and sent out a few troops.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-31-2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Qoute reference

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    [QUOTE=B. Reddy;2079141]

Problem started with your post #6 - have corrected it for you.

You snipped the closing quote backet.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    The situation, if not the saying, infests Charleston, SC, where folks from-off want their new retirement home to be juust like Cincinnati or Pittsburg, just like home that they fled.

As with any current, when one particle moves to a lower potential, its hole moves to a higher potential.
    Man do I hate to see that happening to Charleston, SC. I love the Lowcountry and would hate to see it forever lost to some foreign cultures.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Just in case them Yankees took offense and sent out a few troops.
    LOL Let them come. I'll be happy to educate them!

[QUOTE=B. Reddy;2079141]

Seems like I am now getting credit for your posts?????

Time for a reboot of the servers.

It's in the details

[QUOTE=Grapeshot;2079158]

Problem started with your post #6 - have corrected it for you.

You snipped the closing quote backet.

Thanks, Grape. It's those little things that can really make a difference, like below:

-"Let's eat, Grandma!"

-"Let's eat Grandma!"

Well put Peter Nap…,

Well.....Scouser put a gun in his holster in his car and was convicted of Brandishing. Skidmark pointed his finger and said "Big Boy " and was charged with Brandishing. One time I told a School Census taker that I was going to have her arrested if she didn't get off te property and she charged me with assault. A man in Henrico was arrested for carrying a concealed handgun in his glove box (After Secured Container was law) and even though the Magistrate refused to write the warrant, the Officer still wrote a summons which the courts convicted him on until the Court of Appeals reversed it. The Richmond PD confiscated a gun from an OC'er and refused to give it back for over a year despite no crime being committed.

The list can go on for many pages mobeewan.....Just because the law doesn't look like it can apply doesn't mean it won't be charged anyway. I once saw a protester dragged off and charged with felony wearing a mask for having a scarf over his chin in 20 degree weather.

Note what I said: I didn't say it was proper.
    The distance between the intent of a law and the harsh reality of it's implementation is light years....And yes, with a good lawyer and the price of new car, you can usually beat it. But not always.
    Peter has put in a nutshell, and in plain language that anyone should be able to understand and relate to (and if you can't, you probably haven't finished your potty training), the current situation concerning the Code of Virginia and the mindset of Virginia law enforcement, that being to charge and prosecute anyone for anything by stretching, bending, dressing any situation to appear as a violation of law. Why not? Generally speaking it doesn't appear that they have anything to lose, and they almost certainly will never have to forfeit any of their personal money or possessions. It's wayyyy past time that this was remedied, but until it is, we will have to be prepared and be very wary of all that we do.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs.11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    That can be said about any public forum where people are allowed to hide their real identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    As someone who usually examines comments, I forgot to look this time. Now, thanks to you, I looked. Wow.

Seems this photo serves as a kind of Rorschach test:

What do you see?

A) A well-armed citizen

B) A 'Domestic Terrorist'

Apparently, the answer you get really depends on whom you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    [ ... ]Apparently, the answer you get really depends on whom you ask.
    Usage notes: Who is a subject pronoun. Whom is an object pronoun. To determine whether a particular sentence uses a subject or an object pronoun, rephrase it to use she/he or her/him instead of who, whom; if you use she, then you use the subject pronoun who; if you use her, then you use the object pronoun.

In informal speech, especially in the United States, who may also be found as an object pronoun (hence one hears not only whom are you waiting for? but also who are you waiting for?), and whom may be seen as (overly) formal. As an exception to this, fronted prepositional phrases almost always use whom, e.g. one usually says with whom did you go?, not *with who did you go?.

The use of who as an object pronoun is proscribed by many authorities.
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/whom#Usage_notes
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I have to say, selling the shotgun because of the "666" serial number is just a little crazy. Citing unspecified "sex offenders" as a potentially lethal threat to his person also speaks to a certain... disconnect from reality (not to mention a sufficient degree of statism to cause me to question his judgment and ethics).

Then again, I've never advocated precrime laws in the first place, so these observations ought to carry no weight.

I do think, however, that I will proceed to ignore this particular loon.
    Last edited by marshaul; 08-02-2014 at 03:38 PM.

One thing I wonder about...say this guy, whose right to OC I support is walking along and some thug drives by and brandishes, takes a shot at him, or swerves at him. Is he going to shoot at the moving car? That would, imo, be bad.

I almost hate to pose this question because it sounds like I'm presenting scenarios which make this a bad practice, but that's not my intent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast