• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Headline - "The Long Walk" .... "How an open-carry activist found his mission........

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Style Weekly write-up about the long-gun open-carrier in Richmond, who BTW open carries a pistol too when doing his walks.

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/the-long-walk/Content?oid=2101726

That's actually a pretty fair writeup, especially considering it's Style Weekly.

The fact that he wears a vest bothers me. If he breaks a law...any law no matter how small, that could be considered violent.....like pushing a soccer mom back who's trying to provoke an incident.... he can and probably will be, charged with a felony.

§ 18.2-287.2. Wearing of body armor while committing a crime; penalty.
Any person who, while committing a crime of violence as defined in § 18.2-288 (2) or a felony violation of § 18.2-248 or subdivision (a) 2 or 3 of § 18.2-248.1, has in his possession a firearm or knife and is wearing body armor designed to diminish the effect of the impact of a bullet or projectile shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony.
(1990, c. 936; 1997, c. 311.)

Blk97F150

Some of the reader comments to that article are interesting, others entertaining, and a couple are out right appalling. :(

davidmcbeth

Banned
They smile at passersby, purchase lemonade and pop into 7-Eleven for a snack.

Call out the national guard ... these hooligans must be stopped at all cost !

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Reddy

That's actually a pretty fair writeup, especially considering it's Style Weekly.

Tip o' the hat to Style Weekly for the even-handed coverage, but,WOW, the reader comments really showed how deeply disturbed some antis are:

"In this day and age, when you see a person in a public place carrying a military-style assault rifle -- and not in uniform -- the safest thing to assume is that he or she means you harm.

And the best way to avert said harm is a baseball bat to back of the head.

No jury outside of Florida or Mississippi will find you the least bit at fault."

or this one:

"So, a guy walks into a restaurant with an assault rifle. How many people does he kill before I can act in self defense? If I club him from behind before he shoots anybody am I a hero or guilty of assault?"

Might have to mandate background checks on bat and club purchases.....maybe a psych eval if they aren't in Little League.

va_tazdad

Tip o' the hat to Style Weekly for the even-handed coverage, but,WOW, the reader comments really showed how deeply disturbed some antis are:

"In this day and age, when you see a person in a public place carrying a military-style assault rifle -- and not in uniform -- the safest thing to assume is that he or she means you harm.

And the best way to avert said harm is a baseball bat to back of the head.

No jury outside of Florida or Mississippi will find you the least bit at fault."

or this one:

"So, a guy walks into a restaurant with an assault rifle. How many people does he kill before I can act in self defense? If I club him from behind before he shoots anybody am I a hero or guilty of assault?"

Might have to mandate background checks on bat and club purchases.....maybe a psych eval if they aren't in Little League.

There is no shortage of anti-gun Yankee Cowards that move here to escape the Fascist idiots THEY elected.

Sadly, they are now trying to change Virginia into the same stupidity they fled from in NY, CT, NJ MA.......because they are too dumb to learn, too stupid to pity, too lazy to do anything to improve themselves.

mobeewan

The fact that he wears a vest bothers me. If he breaks a law...any law no matter how small, that could be considered violent.....like pushing a soccer mom back who's trying to provoke an incident.... he can and probably will be, charged with a felony.

Any person who, while committing a crime of violence as defined in § 18.2-288 (2) or a felony violation of § 18.2-248 or subdivision (a) 2 or 3 of § 18.2-248.1, has in his possession a firearm or knife and is wearing body armor designed to diminish the effect of the impact of a bullet or projectile shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony.
(1990, c. 936; 1997, c. 311.)

Any person who, while committing a crime of violence as defined in § 18.2-288

§ 18.2-288. Definitions.
When used in this article:
(2) "Crime of violence" applies to and includes any of the following crimes or an attempt to commit any of the same, namely, murder, manslaughter, kidnapping, rape, mayhem, assault with intent to maim, disable, disfigure or kill, robbery, burglary, housebreaking, breaking and entering and larceny.

Am I missing something? Doesn't look like pushing a soccer mom qualifies as one of the acts of violence while wearing a vest as defined by 18.2-288 or does pushing a soccer mom committing mayhem?

Looks like 18.2-288 limits the list of acts of violence to pretty serious acts of violence

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Any person who, while committing a crime of violence as defined in § 18.2-288

§ 18.2-288. Definitions.
When used in this article:
(2) "Crime of violence" applies to and includes any of the following crimes or an attempt to commit any of the same, namely, murder, manslaughter, kidnapping, rape, mayhem, assault with intent to maim, disable, disfigure or kill, robbery, burglary, housebreaking, breaking and entering and larceny.

Am I missing something? Doesn't look like pushing a soccer mom qualifies as one of the acts of violence while wearing a vest as defined by 18.2-288 or does pushing a soccer mom committing mayhem?

Looks like 18.2-288 limits the list of acts of violence to pretty serious acts of violence

Well.....Scouser put a gun in his holster in his car and was convicted of Brandishing. Skidmark pointed his finger and said "Big Boy " and was charged with Brandishing. One time I told a School Census taker that I was going to have her arrested if she didn't get off te property and she charged me with assault. A man in Henrico was arrested for carrying a concealed handgun in his glove box (After Secured Container was law) and even though the Magistrate refused to write the warrant, the Officer still wrote a summons which the courts convicted him on until the Court of Appeals reversed it. The Richmond PD confiscated a gun from an OC'er and refused to give it back for over a year despite no crime being committed.

The list can go on for many pages mobeewan.....Just because the law doesn't look like it can apply doesn't mean it won't be charged anyway. I once saw a protester dragged off and charged with felony wearing a mask for having a scarf over his chin in 20 degree weather.

Note what I said:
he can and probably will be, charged with a felony."
I didn't say it was proper.
The distance between the intent of a law and the harsh reality of it's implementation is light years....And yes, with a good lawyer and the price of new car, you can usually beat it. But not always.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
There is no shortage of anti-gun Yankee Cowards that move here to escape the Fascist idiots THEY elected.

Sadly, they are now trying to change Virginia into the same stupidity they fled from in NY, CT, NJ MA.......because they are too dumb to learn, too stupid to pity, too lazy to do anything to improve themselves.

This has happened in the close-in* counties and cities in my area. They are infested with foreigners (the non-indigenous people from this and other countries) who have done just what you have written. Mostly they came here because of the excellent job market. But it doesn't matter. They don't shed their socio-political baggage before settling into our communitees and adopt our culture as their own. We have seen this time and time again and there are concrete examples of them trying to change that which has been our normal way of life for generations. Just look what has happened to a good deal of Florida. There is a saying down there that goes, "If you want to go South, go north". Wonder what brought that one about with the locals?

* Close-in = Northern Virginia

B. Reddy

Oops?

How am I getting credit for another user's post? Is that a cut & paste or a formatting issue?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
The situation, if not the saying, infests Charleston, SC, where folks from-off want their new retirement home to be juust like Cincinnati or Pittsburg, just like home that they fled.

As with any current, when one particle moves to a lower potential, its hole moves to a higher potential.

Man do I hate to see that happening to Charleston, SC. I love the Lowcountry and would hate to see it forever lost to some foreign cultures.

sidestreet

Well put Peter Nap…,

Well.....Scouser put a gun in his holster in his car and was convicted of Brandishing. Skidmark pointed his finger and said "Big Boy " and was charged with Brandishing. One time I told a School Census taker that I was going to have her arrested if she didn't get off te property and she charged me with assault. A man in Henrico was arrested for carrying a concealed handgun in his glove box (After Secured Container was law) and even though the Magistrate refused to write the warrant, the Officer still wrote a summons which the courts convicted him on until the Court of Appeals reversed it. The Richmond PD confiscated a gun from an OC'er and refused to give it back for over a year despite no crime being committed.

The list can go on for many pages mobeewan.....Just because the law doesn't look like it can apply doesn't mean it won't be charged anyway. I once saw a protester dragged off and charged with felony wearing a mask for having a scarf over his chin in 20 degree weather.

Note what I said: I didn't say it was proper.
The distance between the intent of a law and the harsh reality of it's implementation is light years....And yes, with a good lawyer and the price of new car, you can usually beat it. But not always.

Peter has put in a nutshell, and in plain language that anyone should be able to understand and relate to (and if you can't, you probably haven't finished your potty training), the current situation concerning the Code of Virginia and the mindset of Virginia law enforcement, that being to charge and prosecute anyone for anything by stretching, bending, dressing any situation to appear as a violation of law. Why not? Generally speaking it doesn't appear that they have anything to lose, and they almost certainly will never have to forfeit any of their personal money or possessions. It's wayyyy past time that this was remedied, but until it is, we will have to be prepared and be very wary of all that we do.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs.11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.