• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Headline - "The Long Walk" .... "How an open-carry activist found his mission........

Repeater

Whole lotta stupidity and hate in the comments following that article.

As someone who usually examines comments, I forgot to look this time. Now, thanks to you, I looked. Wow.

Seems this photo serves as a kind of Rorschach test:

news31_open_carry.jpg

What do you see?

A) A well-armed citizen

B) A 'Domestic Terrorist'

Apparently, the answer you get really depends on whom you ask.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I have to say, selling the shotgun because of the "666" serial number is just a little crazy. Citing unspecified "sex offenders" as a potentially lethal threat to his person also speaks to a certain... disconnect from reality (not to mention a sufficient degree of statism to cause me to question his judgment and ethics).

Then again, I've never advocated precrime laws in the first place, so these observations ought to carry no weight.

I do think, however, that I will proceed to ignore this particular loon.

Last edited:

Maverick9

One thing I wonder about...say this guy, whose right to OC I support is walking along and some thug drives by and brandishes, takes a shot at him, or swerves at him. Is he going to shoot at the moving car? That would, imo, be bad.

I almost hate to pose this question because it sounds like I'm presenting scenarios which make this a bad practice, but that's not my intent.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
One thing I wonder about...say this guy, whose right to OC I support is walking along and some thug drives by and brandishes, takes a shot at him, or swerves at him. Is he going to shoot at the moving car? That would, imo, be bad.

I almost hate to pose this question because it sounds like I'm presenting scenarios which make this a bad practice, but that's not my intent.

Just because you have a firearm to hand does not mean it is the only, let alone the best, response to a reasonable apprehended threat of imminent death or serious bodily injury.

A drive-by brandishing? Up the sitiuational awareness and look around for available cover in case they drive back by. Decide if you have enough information (make, model, tag number, description of brandisher and/or driver) to make calling the cops worthwhile.

Someone shoots at you? Find cover and try to get enough information to describe the shooter and the vehicle. Look around to see if anybody wearing an "INNOCENT BYSTANDER" t-shirt was injured. If so, render appropriate aid (anything from deploying your blow-out kit to calling 911). Unless the shooter is stopped in the middle of the street still shooting at you it is most likely they are now "fleeing the scene". Use of deadly force is no longer authorized. [/Blues Brothers voiceover]

Car swerves at you? Jump out of the way. Standing there drawing a bead on them and blasting away, even if you are Jerry Muculik, is not going to get rounds out and stop the threat before several millions of grains of automoble impacts you with several thousands of footpounds of energy. Unless they stop and start coming back at you in reverse they are most likely "fleeing the scene". Use of deadly force is no longer authorized. [/Blues Brothers voiceover]

It always helps to play the "what if" game. But when you do play, remember to try and 1) keep it real and 2) that the gun is not the only solution.

If anybody's fantasy has been crushed, please present me with a bill for the emotional trauma caused by your disappointment.:uhoh:

stay safe.

Primus

As someone who usually examines comments, I forgot to look this time. Now, thanks to you, I looked. Wow.

Seems this photo serves as a kind of Rorschach test:

news31_open_carry.jpg

What do you see?

A) A well-armed citizen

B) A 'Domestic Terrorist'

Apparently, the answer you get really depends on whom you ask.

Neither nor.... Those magazines are empty....

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk