• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will Nm ever have Constitutional Carry?

Desert Dweller

Just curious if ya'll think we'll ever have Constitutional carry? It is one of the things I really miss about living in Alaska. Given some of the proposed legislation in the past year or so, I seriously doubt it, in fact, I will be surprised if we have the freedoms we have now in five years.

Dave

XDm

Alaska can keep their "must inform" requirements - I like our law better.

aadvark

Desert Dweller:

Actually, The State of New Mexico Currently Enjoys Constitutional Carry of an Unloaded Firearm.

New Mexico only Prohibits going Armed with a Firearm that is BOTH: 1. Concealed, AND 2. Loaded.

Open Carry is Legal, regardless as to whether a Firearm is Loaded or not.

Concealed Carry without a Permit is also Legal so as long as The Firearm is Unloaded.

Therefore, anyone at least 19 Years Old can Carry a Handgun, Openly or Concealed, whether on Foot or in a Motor Vehicle, so as long as The Handgun is Unloaded.

As a Reference, Please Refer to NMSA 30-7-2(B), here: http://public.nmcompcomm.us/nmpublic/gateway.dll/?f=templates&fn=default.htm

However, there is NO Unloaded Open Carry Allowed on The Premises of any: 1. School, 2. University, or 3. Licensed Premises which may Serve or Sell Liquor.

Furthermore, it is Unlawful in New Mexico to Carry a Firearm Aboard a Bus with a Seating Capacity in Excess of 15 Persons.