• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illinois just refused me a permit to carry -- simply because I am out of state in CT

davidmcbeth

Banned
That don't seem right under the court opinion in DC this week.

And I have no appeal rights either to the denial.

That's not good news for the state....

rightwinglibertarian

That don't seem right under the court opinion in DC this week.

And I have no appeal rights either to the denial.

That's not good news for the state....

i'm surprised you bothered trying to get one for starters. Secondly I thought IL recognized other states licences? Pretty sure I saw something to that effect on one of the threads here.

davidmcbeth

Banned
i'm surprised you bothered trying to get one for starters. Secondly I thought IL recognized other states licences? Pretty sure I saw something to that effect on one of the threads here.

IL does not recognize a CT permit ... and does not allow a CT resident to get a IL permit under any circumstances.

davidmcbeth

Banned

I course I'll be carrying, like I did years ago when it was "illegal" to carry.

And no, IL does not recognize my state's permit process as being = to theirs.

xdmcompact

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/98/PDF/098-0063.pdf

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from
transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended,
he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or
locked container within the vehicle in accordance with
subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

Old Dude

Unless you are from Hawaii,New Mexico,S.Carolina or Virginia you can not apply for a concealed carry license in IL,and IL does not recognize any other states license,except in vehicle only.We just started receiving our resident licenses around the beginning of March this year.We are working on getting better laws here,but it will take time.Nice to meet you all.

Cypherpunk

Illinois just refused me a permit to carry -- simply because I am out of stat...

I'm in the process of applying for IL CCW Instructor.

ISP informed me via phone that as long as I have my LiveScan in IL, by an ISP certified vendor, and include a copy of my MD permit, that should fulfill all the requirements as an out of state instructor applicant.

I'm still wondering;
1. Why I can't submit ink prints taken by a LEO
2. What law or regulation forbids LiveScan from crossing state lines and why ?
3. How I can teach IL CCW, but not be able to get an IL CCW or carry there?

Any feedback appreciated.

Last edited:

RANDYT

Unless they have changed the rules, you will be required to have a IL CCL to be an instructor, and since Maryland is not on the list of approved states, you most likely will not qualify. had Missouri instructors get pulled because they are not in an approved state. There are a few instructors that appear to be out of state, but actually live in IL.

IL doesn't except ink prints for the CCL, I don't think there is any law against livescan across state lines, I think it has to do something with the required coding.

Last edited:

Cypherpunk

Illinois just refused me a permit to carry -- simply because I am out of stat...

Unless they have changed the rules, you will be required to have a IL CCL to be an instructor, and since Maryland is not on the list of approved states, you most likely will not qualify. had Missouri instructors get pulled because they are not in an approved state. There are a few instructors that appear to be out of state, but actually live in IL.

IL doesn't except ink prints for the CCL, I don't think there is any law against livescan across state lines, I think it has to do something with the required coding.

I appreciate the feedback.

Iirc, the requirements simply say eligible for a IL CCW, it doesn't say you have to have one. Plus, the firearms division confirmed by phone I'm eligible...

Hoping to find someone with experience.

Last edited:

Old Dude

I'm still wondering;

Here goes,to the best of my knowledge,I try to keep up to date.

Because IL only accepts IL State Police approved LiveScan vendors to to submit prints.Sorry,it's part of the law,it's IL,.
I don't know of any law forbidding it,I think it's just that IL hasn't approved any out of state vendors.
If your from out of state,and it's not one of the 4 approved states that qualifies you to obtain a $300.00 non resident permit,you must have a carry license from your state,along with all the other requirements to apply to be an instructor.

So it appears that you could apply for a non resident instructors license if you're from MD,if you have a MD carry license,like you said,then come to IL and get LiveScan printed .But if you teach the class to MD residents,or a lot of other states residents, they will not be able to get a license,unless the law changes.Remember it's IL,the people running this state have things so messed up this seems normal to them.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
WRONG!
You just have to take the 16 hours of training, pass the live fire test, pay a $300 non-refundable application fee, and wait. And Wait. And WAIT!

If wrong, the state police told me bad information. No out of state applicants. Additionally, I will not take 16 hrs of "training", pay $300, nor wait. Its a right not something that needs permission.

And, if found out/caught, spend several years as a "guest" of IDoC!
That depends on where you get caught ... not all places arrest for carrying (regardless of what the law says)

That's because it ISN'T as stringent as ours! Only Hawaii's CHL is honored here (for now).
I understood the reasoning behind it -- its just flawed reasoning...I thought 4 states were OK, Hawaii's being one....but its a moot point for me ~

If ya have a link/quote to to law about the out of state people I would appreciate a cite/link to the statue.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Here goes,to the best of my knowledge,I try to keep up to date.

Because IL only accepts IL State Police approved LiveScan vendors to to submit prints.Sorry,it's part of the law,it's IL,.
I don't know of any law forbidding it,I think it's just that IL hasn't approved any out of state vendors.
If your from out of state,and it's not one of the 4 approved states that qualifies you to obtain a $300.00 non resident permit,you must have a carry license from your state,along with all the other requirements to apply to be an instructor.

So it appears that you could apply for a non resident instructors license if you're from MD,if you have a MD carry license,like you said,then come to IL and get LiveScan printed .But if you teach the class to MD residents,or a lot of other states residents, they will not be able to get a license,unless the law changes.Remember it's IL,the people running this state have things so messed up this seems normal to them.

You can object to the requirements, get rejected and appeal the rejection.

junglebob

ISP informed me via phone that as long as I have my LiveScan in IL, by an ISP certified vendor, and include a copy of my MD permit, that should fulfill all the requirements as an out of state instructor applicant.

I'm still wondering;

Any feedback appreciated.

I think the LiveScan has to be done by vendors approved by Illinois, which I believe are all in Illinois. I understand that the Illinois State Police who issues the CHLs gets part of the fee, $20 is what I believe I've heard. Fingerprints aren't required, however expect the license to take a month or more longer if you don't pay the "bribe" , I mean LiveScan fee. It is something called "pay to play" and now you know why we've got 2 governors doing time, and maybe a 3rd to join them.

One reason for them not taking paper ink prints is all applications before July were done online. The other reason I've mentioned above.