• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illinois just refused me a permit to carry -- simply because I am out of state in CT

Old Dude

The IL laws are very confusing,to apply for an instructor license you must submit prints.To apply for a CCL it is not required,but can speed up the app. time.Go here..http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/index/register/register_volume38_issue18.pdf..scroll down to page 9705 to read the current instructor app. rules.They've had another emergency release since,but that covered objections and appeals only. This has lots of info too..http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/020/02001231sections.html

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
For security reasons IIRC, Livescan machines must transmit directly to the state CJIS via direct line like a T-1 or other circuit. There is no other way except for perhaps a VPN type setup.

I can't remember where I read this however so I have no cite. Maryland has the same requirement ie in state Livescan vendors only.

MKEgal

IL does accept other states licences.
You just can't carry outside your vehicle.
You don't need a license if your state has Constitutional Carry, or unlicensed OC.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/98/PDF/098-0063.pdf
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence
I'm sure they meant to require a home-state license, but that's not what they said.
They gave non-residents Constitutional concealed carry, only in their vehicles.

JTHunter said:
You just have to take the 16 hours of training, pass the live fire test, pay a $300 non-refundable application fee, and wait.
Only Hawaii's CHL is honored here (for now).
Um, no, IL does not honor ANY other CCL.
Residents of the 4 states are allowed to apply for an IL non-resident permit, which yes, takes either 4 or 8 hours and $300.

Old Dude said:
Unless you are from Hawaii, New Mexico, S.Carolina or Virginia you can not apply for a concealed carry license in IL, and IL does not recognize any other states license
What he said.

Cypherpunk said:
3. How I can teach IL CCW, but not be able to get an IL CCW or carry there?
You're expecting a gun law in IL to make sense.
And realize that you can only teach residents of those 4 states.
Or rather, you can teach anyone, but only those residents can benefit from it.

RANDYT said:
Unless they have changed the rules, you will be required to have a IL CCL to be an instructor... There are a few instructors that appear to be out of state, but actually live in IL.
There are plenty of out-of-state instructors. I'm one, and I definitely live in WI.
We just can't teach (ethically) because our students won't be able to get a permit.
If someone understood that & wanted me to teach anyway, I'd do it.
I'd like to find a range (or several) in N IL so I could run classes down there. From what I'm seeing on Craigslist, I could offer my normal charge, come in under most of them, and still be able to pay my bills.

Last edited:

Cypherpunk

what can I do except get a copy of the survey ISP sent all the states so I can put it in front of MD's AG or Gov?

Do I need to make a FOIA request, or can someone source a copy?

RANDYT

You don't need a license if your state has Constitutional Carry, or unlicensed OC.

I'm sure they meant to require a home-state license, but that's not what they said.

Residents of the 4 states are allowed to apply for an IL non-resident permit, which yes, takes either 4 or 8 hours and $300.

What he said.

There are plenty of out-of-state instructors. I'm one, and I definitely live in WI.
We just can't teach (ethically) because our students won't be able to get a permit.
I'd like to find a range (or several) in N IL so I could run classes down there. From what I'm seeing on Craigslist, I could offer my normal charge, come in under most of them, and still be able to pay my bills.

I went back and looked, they have changed the rules. there were requiring all instructors to get a license. And there was a few instructors from missouri that got dumped since Missouri didn't fit the "similar" requirement language.

junglebob

What he said.

MKEgal, You are wrong about the training it is a total of 16 hours, if you have a DD214 that is counted as 8 as is NRA basic pistol, Personal Protection in the home and outside the home, Hunter Safety course counts as 4 hours. Any way you need at least 8 to 12 additional hours, not 4 to 8 no matter what previous training you've had.

I'll add don't take instruction from someone that offers a 12 hour course and says it meets he 16 hour requirement when you don't have the previous training. Some instructors have done this and had their credentials pulled and their students applications were denied.

Last edited: