• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How NOT to Use/Abuse Your Second Amendment Rights - What's Over the Line?

Spooler41

There seems to be a simple answer to this problem. The tech should have called 911 to report the theft of tools
and the threat with a firearm, just let the police sort it out.
Step #2 would to go up the pole and disconnect the cable connection .

......................Jack

since9

Campaign Veteran
This lady crossed the line by a couple miles. What's the difference between this and armed robbery?

Nothing, and that's the point.

Had he left his tools in her apartment and she'd simply closed and locked the door, that would have been one thing, and it might have been very difficult to stick a robbery charge.

However, "the customer allegedly took a bag of the technician’s tools, brought them into her home, and locked the door." That's robbery, and would easy to make that stick. Opening the door while holding a gun, however, doesn't make that armed robbery. In order for it to be armed robbery, she would have had to use the firearm in a conspicuous manner when she took the tools (most states) or merely been armed (some states) while taking them.

And there's the rub: Merely being armed while inadvertently walking out of a store with merchandise you for which you forgot to pay is worse than shoplifting in some locals. It's armed robbery.

Similarly, getting into an argument with someone while armed can, in some locales, bump that up to some pretty serious charges. If you're armed in those places, the law expects you to walk away, regardless of how much you might be in the right with respect to the argument itself. By simple virtue of the fact you're armed, you can be seen in the eyes of the law as wrong.

While some things are fine when you're unarmed, they can get you into major hot water when you're armed. This isn't about the one example mentioned in the OP. It's about any and all such instances.

What are those things?

Come on, folks - this is a discussion forum. Discuss!

Last edited:

OC for ME

There is a thread in the VA forum, I think, where a VA citizen was charged with "brandishing" because another citizen saw a unholstered pistol while the citizen was in his vehicle (loading/unloading, don't recall which). The carrier will likely not be the one who decides how not to use/abuse your 2A right. Over the line will likely be decided by a judge, or jury if it gets that far.

defcon4

+1

And if we make a big deal about the tool and not the actions of the individual using/misusing said tool,we are falling into the trap laid out by the anti's to make the tool to be something special that needs to be "regulated".

I will advocate for not falling into that trap.

+1

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There is a thread in the VA forum, I think, where a VA citizen was charged with "brandishing" because another citizen saw a unholstered pistol while the citizen was in his vehicle (loading/unloading, don't recall which). The carrier will likely not be the one who decides how not to use/abuse your 2A right. Over the line will likely be decided by a judge, or jury if it gets that far.
There are actually 2 threads - the following is the latest one with 770+ views:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...n-a-Ferry-Tale-Arrested-for-following-the-law

The good guy was moving his gun from the glove box to a center of the dash compartment on his way to an OC dinner. He was found guilty - the case is pending before the Va Court of Appeals. Attorney Dan Hawes representing.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The good guy was moving his gun from the glove box to a center of the dash compartment on his way to an OC dinner. He was found guilty - the case is pending before the Va Court of Appeals. Attorney Dan Hawes representing.

On occasion I've had to remove my firearm from my holster in public. When I do, however, I make sure it's quick, shielded from view, and definitely inside my vehicle.

Here in Colorado, the state law treats vehicles as extensions of one's home.