• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blaine City Hall

heresolong

A few years ago I recounted the fight I had with then city manager Tomlin to get my gun checked to go to City Council meetings (held in the courtroom). He insisted that the law said I could check it at the police station, even though the station was next door to the City Hall and the law specifically said you had to check it with someone in the same building. On top of that, I came out of a city council meeting one evening and couldn't get my gun back because they were all gone on a call. Finally he agreed that the city clerk could check weapons (she wasn't too happy about it but did) and that was the end of that.

They've moved to a new building and she still checks weapons. No problem. Except...

...I am now on the Planning Commission which meets on Thursday evenings when the City Clerk is not in the office. I can't check my weapon and can't carry it into council chambers (dual use as a courtroom). Sent an email to the new City Manager about a month ago but never heard back. Stopped by today and left a message with the City Clerk to let the CM know that I would like a resolution to this situation.

If we ever get a gun friendly legislature and governor we need to change this stupid law so that it only applies to courtrooms when they are actually being used as courtrooms. It's ridiculous that I have to disarm to sit on the Planning Commission just because we only have one meeting room in the town.

I'll keep you updated.

Dave_pro2a

If it isn't being used as a court room how can they still ban carry?

Because a courtroom is viewed as a sacrosanct alter to Statism, by the worshipers of bureaucracy.

As a place of false worship, they believe it must be kept 'clean' even when empty, used for a city meeting, or used by a judge to get a BJ from the court stenographer.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Discuss this with the City Attorney. There are Attorney General decisions that go the other way about School use of property that show intent.

Found it:

http://www.atg.wa.gov/AGOOpinions/opinion.aspx?section=topic&id=9238

The room is NOT exclusive use for the Court, so arguably NOT a Court Room during the other meetings.

Call a competent and honest attorney and ask for their opinion and willingness to defend you/sue the pants off of the council if your carry becomes a big issue.

Difdi

Attorneys General don't issue decisions, they issue opinions which have no force of law.[/COLOR]

True. But since it is Attorneys General and their subordinate who decide whether to prosecute someone or just let them go uncharged, those opinions are not quite as meaningless as you imply.

kparker

True. But since it is Attorneys General and their subordinate who decide whether to prosecute someone or just let them go uncharged, those opinions are not quite as meaningless as you imply.

Are you somehow under the impression that county prosecutors work for the Attorney General?

deanf

They are subordinate to the "top cop".

No. They are independent. County prosecutors are elected - answering to the voters. City attorneys are appointed through a political process that is accountable to the local voters.

State attorneys general rarely prosecute in this state. It has happened, and they have the authority, but that doesn't change the fact that local prosecutors don't answer to them.

sudden valley gunner

No. They are independent. County prosecutors are elected - answering to the voters. City attorneys are appointed through a political process that is accountable to the local voters.

State attorneys general rarely prosecute in this state. It has happened, and they have the authority, but that doesn't change the fact that local prosecutors don't answer to them.

The state attorney are elected too as the top prosecutor in the state. It is rare they prosecute but they are of higher "rank" than local prosecutors. The main problem is they don't take complaints from "civilians".

Last edited:

deanf

It is rare they prosecute but they are of higher "rank" than local prosecutors.

Care to establish that in law?

This is similar to the misconception that city police report to the sheriff, and the sheriff reports to the state patrol.

sudden valley gunner

It's not similar to that at all and no one said one reports to the other.

Subordinate in the sense they are a lesser rank, the state has the power to investigate and prosecute the prosecutors, the AG is the states top cop.

deanf

Subordinate in the sense they are a lesser rank, the state has the power to investigate and prosecute the prosecutors, the AG is the states top cop.

The authority of anyone elected or appointed as a prosecutor in this state is equal, same as anyone appointed a commissioned police officer.

Any prosecutor in this state has the authority to investigate and prosecute any other.

sudden valley gunner

The authority of anyone elected or appointed as a prosecutor in this state is equal, same as anyone appointed a commissioned police officer.

Any prosecutor in this state has the authority to investigate and prosecute any other.[/COLOR]

So the city legislature is equal to the state legislature.

deanf

So the mayor is equal to the governor?

No, but the governor doesn't have any authority to meddle in the city affairs of the mayor, just like the attorney general doesn't have any authority to meddle in the administrative affairs of a county prosecutor or city attorney.

sudden valley gunner

No, but the governor doesn't have any authority to meddle in the city affairs of the mayor, just like the attorney general doesn't have any authority to meddle in the administrative affairs of a county prosecutor or city attorney.[/COLOR]

Ah I see the problem now, you are arguing an argument we were not making.

The AG does have the power as top cop to prosecute prosecutors and to do so when their decisions are not compatible with state law.

Last edited: