• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KC to ban OC

McLintock

"Sly" James and the libtards and anti-gun/OC people are at it again. When will these people understand guns don't kill people, but people kill people. So the KC guberment are taking away my right to protect myself from these thugs he is claiming to stop, am I missing something here or does this kind of thinking not make since?

Richieg150

"Sly" James and the libtards and anti-gun/OC people are at it again. When will these people understand guns don't kill people, but people kill people. So the KC guberment are taking away my right to protect myself from these thugs he is claiming to stop, am I missing something here or does this kind of thinking not make since?

Its nothing more than a gun control issue, nothing to do with saving lives. If the city council was really interested in saving lives.... they would ban either cars, or alcohol, or both, as there are more alcohol traffic deaths in Kansas City than LAW ABIDING CITIZENS shooting randomly in the streets. The ban wont affect the thugs who are killing innocent people and each other, they haven't obeyed the current gun laws, so whats more laws to them.

sheepdog

...can they do it?

Missouri Revised Statutes
Chapter 21
General Assembly
Section 21.750

August 28, 2013

Firearms legislation preemption by general assembly, exceptions--limitation on civil recovery against firearms or ammunitions manufacturers, when, exception.
21.750. 1. The general assembly hereby occupies and preempts the entire field of legislation touching in any way firearms, components, ammunition and supplies to the complete exclusion of any order, ordinance or regulation by any political subdivision of this state. Any existing or future orders, ordinances or regulations in this field are hereby and shall be null and void except as provided in subsection 3 of this section.

2. No county, city, town, village, municipality, or other political subdivision of this state shall adopt any order, ordinance or regulation concerning in any way the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permit, registration, taxation other than sales and compensating use taxes or other controls on firearms, components, ammunition, and supplies except as provided in subsection 3 of this section.

3. Nothing contained in this section shall prohibit any ordinance of any political subdivision which conforms exactly with any of the provisions of sections 571.010 to 571.070, with appropriate penalty provisions, or which regulates the open carrying of firearms readily capable of lethal use or the discharge of firearms within a jurisdiction, provided such ordinance complies with the provisions of section 252.243.

4. The lawful design, marketing, manufacture, distribution, or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public is not an abnormally dangerous activity and does not constitute a public or private nuisance.

5. No county, city, town, village or any other political subdivision nor the state shall bring suit or have any right to recover against any firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association or dealer for damages, abatement or injunctive relief resulting from or relating to the lawful design, manufacture, marketing, distribution, or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public. This subsection shall apply to any suit pending as of October 12, 2003, as well as any suit which may be brought in the future. Provided, however, that nothing in this section shall restrict the rights of individual citizens to recover for injury or death caused by the negligent or defective design or manufacture of firearms or ammunition.

6. Nothing in this section shall prevent the state, a county, city, town, village or any other political subdivision from bringing an action against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer or dealer for breach of contract or warranty as to firearms or ammunition purchased by the state or such political subdivision.

(L. 1984 H.B. 928 § 1, A.L. 2003 S.B. 13, A.L. 2007 S.B. 225

McLintock

1. Libtards do whatever they want to do no matter what the law says

2. Section 3 reads to me like the law makes room for city's to ban OC

OC for ME

...or which regulates OC...
Right here, no OC. The rest is OK by me because i would prefer to not have my neighbor doing a little plinking in the backyard of his 1/5 acre lot in the subdivision. The other (last) part prohibits towns from regulating hunting, discharging firearms in the pursuit of game, where the pursuit of game is authorized by the state in that locale.

sheepdog

...I think you're right...that puts it in the laps of the citizens...will enough of them scream and go down to City Hall to get them to leave it alone? such things used to be decided by the head count at the City Council meeting...now, it's often the most catchy sound bite on the local news or Facebook that decides...not exactly representative of a majority...

Last edited:

Richieg150

Right here, no OC. The rest is OK by me because i would prefer to not have my neighbor doing a little plinking in the backyard of his 1/5 acre lot in the subdivision.

That's just exactly what those AGAINST firearms would say. In the fight against all the anti-gunners to get CCW here in Missouri, they touted info like exactly what you said, and more like this..... and gunfights in the streets.... Hypotheticals that don't and haven't happened. You fear that your neighbors, if they are responsible gun owners, would plink in their back yard, and do it so haphazardly that others would be in danger? 1/5 of a acre is plenty of room to plick, if it was all set up properly. If you had the room to plink in your area, would you not take care and set up all the needed safeguards?? But you wouldn't trust your neighbors to do the same, if they were wanting to plink......that could be bb's or pellets... Responsible people are just that..... those who aren't....AREN'T.. So lets just PENALIZE EVERYBODY based of hypothetical fear..... sounds like a great idea..

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
That's just exactly what those AGAINST firearms would say. In the fight against all the anti-gunners to get CCW here in Missouri,

. So lets just PENALIZE EVERYBODY based of hypothetical fear..... sounds like a great idea..

Discharge not including self defense is not the worst idea actually.

I agree, responsible owners will NOT b a hazard, however without it in place, there is no penalty for the irresponsible ones. Go to one of the unmanned ranges here in MO on a Saturday and you will likely see the need in short order.

JEStucker

Sly James just has dreams of DC, he see how being the mayor of KC worked out for Emmanuel Cleaver and wants to follow in his footsteps regardless of who he walks on to get there.

OC for ME

...You fear that your neighbors, if they are responsible gun owners, would plink in their back yard, and do it so haphazardly that others would be in danger? ....
I did not use "if they are responsible." You did.

Infringement, you bet, but one I can live with when compared to the other infringements. I have a higher regard for my neighbors than you apparently do.

~8700 ft[SUP]2[/SUP] is 1/5 of a acre...~100 ft on a side.

OC for ME

That's just exactly what those AGAINST firearms would say. In the fight against all the anti-gunners to get CCW here in Missouri, they touted info like exactly what you said, and more like this..... and gunfights in the streets.... Hypotheticals that don't and haven't happened. You fear that your neighbors, if they are responsible gun owners, would plink in their back yard, and do it so haphazardly that others would be in danger? 1/5 of a acre is plenty of room to plick, if it was all set up properly. If you had the room to plink in your area, would you not take care and set up all the needed safeguards?? But you wouldn't trust your neighbors to do the same, if they were wanting to plink......that could be bb's or pellets... Responsible people are just that..... those who aren't....AREN'T.. So lets just PENALIZE EVERYBODY based of hypothetical fear..... sounds like a great idea..
You and i may like the sound of gun fire but not all do. The discharge of a fire arm "law," not in necessary self defense, is a infringement but one that we all should live with. Living in a subdivision means permitting certain infringement of our rights or do not live in a subdivision. So, no range, no gun fire. If that is a fight you wish to carry to the local government then do so. Me, I have better things to focus on other than firing a gun in my backyard.

Richieg150

You and i may like the sound of gun fire but not all do. The discharge of a fire arm "law," not in necessary self defense, is a infringement but one that we all should live with. Living in a subdivision means permitting certain infringement of our rights or do not live in a subdivision. So, no range, no gun fire. If that is a fight you wish to carry to the local government then do so. Me, I have better things to focus on other than firing a gun in my backyard.

No fight intended...... I thought we were talking of plinking, which may or may NOT include a projectile propelled by a discharged firearm. I know many who PLINK with their sophisticated air rifles, which would fall under this topic, in their back yards. I shoot my crossbow in my back yard, and that would fall under this topic, being a projectile. As a matter of fact,my neighbors was watching me shoot my crossbow last night and I invited him to try it out... he did and now wants to get one for himself. Yes I can see how the noise would bother some, we have a NOISE Ordinance where I live, but that doesn't stop those living in, or driving thru the neighborhood with the car stereos so loud as to shake everything in my house at all hours of the night. Most of those who are PLINKERS, are considerate, law obeying, neighbors....... we NEED to be if we are PLINKERS to kinda set and example to maybe sway those our direction. My POINT was you could PLINK, safely, and considerately, if you chose to do that, without and danger to neighbors. You are ALWAYS going to have people complaining about whatever you do, that they done think you shouldn't be doing. With all the homeowner associations people live with, you have no freedom in those subdivisions ONLY what THEY feel you should have. Some love them, some don't...... Im in the latter.... if I want to fly the AMERICAN flag in my yard, I don't want to have to ask permission to do it, as an example. I have friends who LOVE theirs because it keeps their property value up, so they tell me.... and they cannot fly any kind of flag where they live, even on Veterans Day, hence my example.

OC for ME

No fight intended...... I thought we were talking of plinking, which may or may NOT include a projectile propelled by a discharged firearm. I know many who PLINK with their sophisticated air rifles, which would fall under this topic, in their back yards. I shoot my crossbow in my back yard, and that would fall under this topic, being a projectile. As a matter of fact,my neighbors was watching me shoot my crossbow last night and I invited him to try it out... he did and now wants to get one for himself. Yes I can see how the noise would bother some, we have a NOISE Ordinance where I live, but that doesn't stop those living in, or driving thru the neighborhood with the car stereos so loud as to shake everything in my house at all hours of the night. Most of those who are PLINKERS, are considerate, law obeying, neighbors....... we NEED to be if we are PLINKERS to kinda set and example to maybe sway those our direction. My POINT was you could PLINK, safely, and considerately, if you chose to do that, without and danger to neighbors. You are ALWAYS going to have people complaining about whatever you do, that they done think you shouldn't be doing. With all the homeowner associations people live with, you have no freedom in those subdivisions ONLY what THEY feel you should have. Some love them, some don't...... Im in the latter.... if I want to fly the AMERICAN flag in my yard, I don't want to have to ask permission to do it, as an example. I have friends who LOVE theirs because it keeps their property value up, so they tell me.... and they cannot fly any kind of flag where they live, even on Veterans Day, hence my example.
Well, it seems that I have a different definition of plinking. My boys plink with firearms. Air rifles are for killing rabbits and other vermin.

+1 to you Sir.