Thread: Book opinions please.

Seattle,WA, , USA

Question Book opinions please.

Found this book at the library..."Gun Guys A Road Trip'' by Dan Baum - a self-professed New Jersey Liberal Jew.

If any have read this, share your opinion. He (to me) comes across as not entirely anti-gun, nor a true supporter either. He travels cross-country looking at every gun shop and range he can find, interviewing whoever will sit still long enough.
    Lots of warts and narrow-mindedness, as well as some interesting, positive surprises along the way.

Quick read. Alfred A. Knopf, 2013.

North Chesterfield VA
    I've had the misfortune to have read his book. Maybe that's a clue aout how I feel about him and about his book.)

He's a Fudd and a gun-but-er that seems not able or willing to trust himself or anybody else with a gun that is not weighted down with government regulations and restrictions. A lot of what he advocates for is not what most folks (here on OCDO or elsewhere in the "gun community") would call "reasonable".

IMHO he is worse than a fence-sitter. I don't recall precisely but seem to have the recollection that he had not gotten around to answering the question "Am I ready and willing to pull the trigger without hesitation if faced with a life-or-death situation?" I'm not sure that he even had resolved in his own mind what a life-or-death situation would be without having to wait for the other guy to shoot/stab/club/hit him first.

But as long as it is from your library and thus not adding royalties if you check it out and read it it might be worth the effort to see what he has to say.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"

Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    There are reviews, statistics and comments at Amazon.
    Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #199,495 in Books
    #43 in Books > Humor & Entertainment > Humor > Sports
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-01-2014 at 06:22 AM.
    If TRUMP 2016 loses then I will shrug off my WHITE MAN'S BURDEN and leave the world to the Dindus and Done Nuffins. Read and understand Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged as a prescription for the future. TRUMP 2016

White Oak Plantation
    ...liberal...all I need to know. I suspect that everything past the "self proclaiming" part is nothing but bush-league psych-out stuff.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare