Thread: Winston-Salem restaurant gives 15 percent discount for praying in public.

Winston-Salem restaurant gives 15 percent discount for praying in public.

Mary’s Gourmet Diner in Winston-Salem apparently gives a 15 percent discount for praying in public. A Christian radio station, Z88.3, Orlando FL, posted an image of the receipt to its Facebook page, where it got more than 1,500 shares. The post reads, “A friend of ours just shared her receipt from lunch where she got a discount for praying in public!!! How cool is that?”

http://myfox8.com/2014/07/31/winston...pt-goes-viral/

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...sVFE7Rc-TImuiM
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I suspect I could sue for discrimination if they failed to grant my discount for praying to the FSM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Mary’s Gourmet Diner in Winston-Salem apparently gives a 15 percent discount for praying in public. A Christian radio station, Z88.3, Orlando FL, posted an image of the receipt to its Facebook page, where it got more than 1,500 shares. The post reads, “A friend of ours just shared her receipt from lunch where she got a discount for praying in public!!! How cool is that?”

http://myfox8.com/2014/07/31/winston...pt-goes-viral/

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...sVFE7Rc-TImuiM
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew 6:5
    And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
    Seems like some may receive more than the attention.
    This is why I dislike the "discounts for _____"; whether it be public prayer, wearing a Spiderman or chicken costume, or OC, these types of "incentives" tend to draw out the more impulsive people.

In the case if public prayer: How many people will now "pray in public" to get their discount when they've not prayed for who-knows-how-long?
    In the case of OC: an article on Shooters Grill mentioned that the waitresses began to carry because "it looked like fun"; not the best reason to begin to carry, I'd say.
    Then again, writers sometimes phrase things in a different manner than they were originally intended or the reader sees it from a different perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    I suspect I could sue for discrimination if they failed to grant my discount for praying to the FSM.
    I'd pay to see their expression.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 08-02-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: The FSM
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

"Dear Lord, thank you for this your bounty, and we humbly beseech you to smite hip and thigh those that would seek to belittle the worship of your majesty by profanely offering a cash discount to those that do so publically." (Loud enough for those at least at the next table/booth to hear, so you can claim witnesses to your having prayed pppublically.)

Now gimme 15% off my bill!

They write the rules, we play by the rules, regardless of how stupid the rules are.

Letters to the Editor if they welsh on your discount. (And feel free to use my name if you are afraid to use your own.)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

'Prayer Discount' Sparks Praise, Anger. NPR called DoJ about 1964 Civil Rights Act

But others were more critical. Dave Moore was among those who questioned whether the restaurant would give the same discount to people who offered public prayers that weren't of the Christian variety:

Several others noted their interpretation that praying in public is frowned upon in the New Testament passage Matthew 6:5:

And some people wondered aloud if the restaurant's practice amounts to discrimination. The Department of Justice says that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 in a public accommodation, such as a restaurant. Whether the diner is in violation isn't immediately clear.

We put in a call to the DOJ for clarification and will update this post if we hear back.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...f-praise-anger

Matthew 6:5 In the King James Version of the Bible the text reads:

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites
    are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and
    in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men.
    Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

"Dear Satan, I beseech thee to strike down the CC only fudds, and Initiative I-594! Praise Satan!" Would that count? Didn't say who I had to pray to?
    Last edited by golddigger14s; 08-03-2014 at 03:13 AM.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Again the maxim is proven true...no good deed shall go unpunished.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

UPDATE! Restaurant vows atheist group won’t halt discount for church-goers

A restaurant owner in Arkansas has come under fire from atheists for offering a 10 percent discount to church-goers — but bluntly says: I’m not stopping my policy.
    [ ... ]
    Mr. Rose continued, ... “Short of a [judge’s ruling], there’s nothing that they’re going to say to me that makes me waiver on what I believe,” ...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...count-church-/

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    A restaurant owner in Arkansas has come under fire from atheists for offering a 10 percent discount to church-goers — but bluntly says: I’m not stopping my policy.
    [ ... ]
    Mr. Rose continued, ... “Short of a [judge’s ruling], there’s nothing that they’re going to say to me that makes me waiver on what I believe,” ...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...count-church-/
    So, he would obey a judge over the bible? Some conviction!

I guess for some folks religion is just a way to win approbation from their tribe. Maybe Mr. Rose skipped the part where the bible has some snarky things to say about those people.

Not that I have a horse in this race. It's just entertainment for me.
    Last edited by marshaul; 08-23-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    So, he would obey a judge over the bible? Some conviction!

I guess for some folks religion is just a way to win approbation from their tribe. Maybe Mr. Rose skipped the part where the bible has some snarky things to say about those people.

Not that I have a horse in this race. It's just entertainment for me.
    Well, a judge can order his enforcer minions to make the policy change. YMMV
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    "Dear Satan, I beseech thee to strike down the CC only fudds, and Initiative I-594! Praise Satan!" Would that count? Didn't say who I had to pray to?
    I wanna party with you ... and then get a 15% discount on breakfast !