Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

I was at the bank today and it crossed my mind.
    What would you do if you had a holster malfunction
    Mind you I have a nice $35 paddle holster
    I just wondered what would be appropriate if the plastic broke or the screw broke
    Any malfunction that would cause it to call off, AND you would have to carry the gun out in your hand

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by J-SiN View Post
    ...carry the gun out in your hand...
    Well, THAT ain't happening...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Grab it between your feet and hop to your car?

Fortunately(?), plastic holsters generally fail when being manipulated, either during a gun grab or during normal donning/doffing.

So if this situation arised, how should it be handled?
    Can't really stuff in in your pocket or small of your back
    W/O pesky permit

I would think the odds of such catastrophic failure to be almost zero. But, if it did, I would either just stick it inside the waist band and carry on my business, or carry it out to the vehicle while holding it with an overhand grip on the receiver (not the handgrip).

Quote Originally Posted by bc.cruiser View Post
    I would think the odds of such catastrophic failure to be almost zero. But, if it did, I would either just stick it inside the waist band and carry on my business, or carry it out to the vehicle while holding it with an overhand grip on the receiver (not the handgrip).
    This ^^. And the OP's description is the holster failed at the point of attachment to the belt/pants, not that the handgun came clattering out of the holster. Which means I would have picked it up still in the holster.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have had a paddle holster that was put on improperly (over the belt and inside the pants as opposed to over the belt outside the pants) tumble loose when I was bending over to pick something up. The holster functioned as it should have 0 the handgun remained inside the holster which also protected it from scratches. I said "Oops", picked it up, and stuffed it back in my belt the way it should have been in the first place. Then I got ribbed the whole rest of the day for my holster jumping out of my pants.

But I'm still trying to figure out how you would have a catastrophic failure of a plastic holster (which could be anything from a Fobus to a SERPA to you name it) that would not involve you touching the holster at the time of the failure. The only thing I can come up with is somebody behaving like the cops who seem to believe that their holstered handgun is really an elbow rest.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Centurion
    More than once, not due to a failure, have I placed the holstered firearm between my weak side arm and chest wall just above the level of the elbow and held it in place. It may not be a "real" shoulder holster but same position, readily available if needed and not carried in the hand
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    More than once, not due to a failure, have I placed the holstered firearm between my weak side arm and chest wall just above the level of the elbow and held it in place. It may not be a "real" shoulder holster but same position, readily available if needed and not carried in the hand
    ^ This. I don't have a paddle holster, so if I ever have to take it from the car to my house without taking the time to put it back on my belt, I do this. If an officer happened to drive by and see, its not in your hand.