• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What would you do?

J-SiN

I was at the bank today and it crossed my mind.
What would you do if you had a holster malfunction
Mind you I have a nice $35 paddle holster
I just wondered what would be appropriate if the plastic broke or the screw broke
Any malfunction that would cause it to call off, AND you would have to carry the gun out in your hand

Thoughts?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Grab it between your feet and hop to your car?

Fortunately(?), plastic holsters generally fail when being manipulated, either during a gun grab or during normal donning/doffing.

J-SiN

So if this situation arised, how should it be handled?
Can't really stuff in in your pocket or small of your back
W/O pesky permit

bc.cruiser

I would think the odds of such catastrophic failure to be almost zero. But, if it did, I would either just stick it inside the waist band and carry on my business, or carry it out to the vehicle while holding it with an overhand grip on the receiver (not the handgrip).

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I would think the odds of such catastrophic failure to be almost zero. But, if it did, I would either just stick it inside the waist band and carry on my business, or carry it out to the vehicle while holding it with an overhand grip on the receiver (not the handgrip).

This ^^. And the OP's description is the holster failed at the point of attachment to the belt/pants, not that the handgun came clattering out of the holster. Which means I would have picked it up still in the holster.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have had a paddle holster that was put on improperly (over the belt and inside the pants as opposed to over the belt outside the pants) tumble loose when I was bending over to pick something up. The holster functioned as it should have 0 the handgun remained inside the holster which also protected it from scratches. I said "Oops", picked it up, and stuffed it back in my belt the way it should have been in the first place. Then I got ribbed the whole rest of the day for my holster jumping out of my pants.

But I'm still trying to figure out how you would have a catastrophic failure of a plastic holster (which could be anything from a Fobus to a SERPA to you name it) that would not involve you touching the holster at the time of the failure. The only thing I can come up with is somebody behaving like the cops who seem to believe that their holstered handgun is really an elbow rest.

stay safe.

JoeSparky

Centurion
More than once, not due to a failure, have I placed the holstered firearm between my weak side arm and chest wall just above the level of the elbow and held it in place. It may not be a "real" shoulder holster but same position, readily available if needed and not carried in the hand

FlyBoy276

More than once, not due to a failure, have I placed the holstered firearm between my weak side arm and chest wall just above the level of the elbow and held it in place. It may not be a "real" shoulder holster but same position, readily available if needed and not carried in the hand

^ This. I don't have a paddle holster, so if I ever have to take it from the car to my house without taking the time to put it back on my belt, I do this. If an officer happened to drive by and see, its not in your hand.