• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What makes Virginia's Gun Owners Strong

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
While a lot of us were doing yard work, fishing, whatever, a group of gun owners were doing what they do nearly every week. Promoting gun ownership and lawful carry.

This isn't meant to be critical of those that were doing other things. I spent the day taking video and NOT having stickers available. I just kept an eye on those that were doing the work.

The day started at Shoney's where Taz, Grapeshot, GT, Double Tap, Scouser and Skidmark met.

After breakfast the group broke up and Double Tap, Skidmark and Grapeshot went to the Henrico Public Safety Fair (or whatever they call it). They didn't solicit people to take stickers but they did have them available for those that wanted them.

This goes a long way and the fact that the County had obviously told the employees this was perfectly legal is a testament to the power Gun Owners have now. Notice I didn't say VCDL or the Gun Lobby which was NOT present. These were just individuals.

The individuals are our strength. It doesn't matter if they're at a public event or walking Cary Street, this is where we get our muscle. I can remember years ago when the day would have been much different.

Franc White used to end every show with "Take a kid Fishing". We should end every week with "Bring in another gun owner".

1622116_4430675581059_1659122914245985612_n.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Respectfully, I disagree with you on the finer points.

It's not the stalwarts (aw shucks! *scrapes toe in dust*) that go out amongst the heathen and preach.

It's that all of us - even the crazy kids wandering around Carytown - are well-behaved enough so that the folks who have a gun for deer/duck/dove hunting, and the ones who have a gun tucked up in the back of their sock drawer, and the ones that have a CHP and carry when they know they are going to need it have figured out that we are not the bad guys.

More importantly, those folks have at least a general understanding that gun control is not about guns but all about control, and that they need to be more afraid of the Joe Morriseys and Lori Hasses/Andrew-Collin Goddards than they might be afraid of us.

The vast majority of folks we talk with when handing out GSL stickers say that in just about those exact words.

Sometimes they think that we are the Wikipedia of gun laws and ask us questions which we try to provide basic answers to - and making sure they are given information on how and where to look it up for themselves. The VCDL gun law cards are really helpful for that. I've never even heard of someone approaching one of the antis and asking them for information on the laws that restrict gun possession or gun carry or gun use. Not that I hang out with the antis, but most of what I hear and read from them is what they "feel" and what the "believe", not what they know to be fact. I'm pretty sure the rest of the folks out there know that, too.

One last comment: almost every time I go out handing out GSL stickers I have folks telling me they saw someone else wearing one and asked where they could get a GSL sticker. I've never heard of anybody not directly connected with one of the anti organizations asking where the anti-gun stickers are being given out.

So kudos to all the rest of you.

stay safe.

PS - if you have nothing better to do, check to see what civic activity is going on near you and go give out GSL stickers. Henrico is holding National Night Out on the 5th of this month - check the HPD web site for locations. Richmond is also doing National night out on the 5th. If you want company PM me or Grapeshot to see if we can fit you in our busy schedule of being retired persons.

TFred

[snip...]

PS - if you have nothing better to do, check to see what civic activity is going on near you and go give out GSL stickers. Henrico is holding National Night Out on the 5th of this month - check the HPD web site for locations. Richmond is also doing National night out on the 5th. If you want company PM me or Grapeshot to see if we can fit you in our busy schedule of being retired persons.
Ironic. See: VA-ALERT: Stafford Sheriff to prohibit OC at National Night Out!!

We may need to redirect all efforts to Stafford County.

TFred

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
After breakfast the group broke up and Double Tap, Skidmark and Grapeshot went to the Henrico Public Safety Fair (or whatever they call it). They didn't solicit people to take stickers but they did have them available for those that wanted them.
Most assuredly did
icon14.png

Even had some county employees wearing them :)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This is where my efforts will be directed this time.

Love combining the 1st and 2nd Amendments.

First and Second Amendment, hell! Free admission to the circus and they will be giving away popcorn and cotton candy.

Bring on the clowns!

stay safe.

Lyndsy Simon

It is irrelevant if guns saves lives or not ---

I agree - a right is a right, period. The morality of an action is determined by the nature of the action, not it's result. It is immoral to strip free people of their right to bear arms; no number of lives saves would change that.

The purpose of the stickers isn't to educate the public as to the moral basis for our cause, it's to cause them to think. Our political opponents trot out "public safety" as their rationale. Well, empirical evidence shows that public safety is actually negatively impacted when firearms are less available. Why attempt to engage a disinterested party in a moral debate, when one can easily and visible tear down the strawman built by the other side?