• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA-ALERT: Stafford Sheriff to prohibit OC at National Night Out!

TFred

Guess I'm the one up late enough tonight to post this...

TFred

From PVC:

VA-ALERT: Stafford Sheriff to prohibit OC at National Night Out!

The Stafford County Sheriff’s Department is not allowing VCDL to have a booth at Tuesday's National Night Out event UNLESS we agree not to open carry! The other condition for the booth was that we only distribute information from the assigned booth.

While the second condition would have been acceptable, VCDL will NOT accept infringements on ANY legal means of carry and the Sheriff’s Department was told so.

Since we are not getting a booth, we can walk around and distribute VCDL information and carry as we please.

If you want to stand up for your rights, we are looking for members and supporters to pass out "Guns Save Lives" stickers and VCDL materials (carry cards and brochures).

Stafford National Night Out is held in front of the Target In the Stafford Marketplace Shopping Center on Garrisonville Road (610). It is THIS Tuesday, August 5th, from 6 to 9 PM.

If you can help out, please send an email to Bruce@vcdl.org. Please include your cell phone number to help with coordination at the event.

We are also looking to have some attorneys on site to observe the event. If you are an attorney who can be there, please let me know by emailing me at president@vcdl.org.

I will be there, along with Board members Bruce Jackson and Dennis O’Connor.

-------------------------------------------
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Although I am on "staycation", tis Gr8Legs birthday and have multiple things planned so a ride-along is not possible......unless one of you fine folks would like a border for the next 10 years.

;>)

We haven't had a southern border for years - might be nice to have one again.

As for boarders - they are only for repelling. Preferably with cutlasses.

Stafford County Sheriff may never have heard that saying about waving a pork chop at a junkyard dog.

stay safe.

Blk97F150

Although I am on "staycation", tis Gr8Legs birthday and have multiple things planned so a ride-along is not possible......unless one of you fine folks would like a border for the next 10 years.

;>)

Bring her with you.... 'Hey honey, for your birthday I thought we would go out to dinner at this really nice place in Stafford....' :p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Have been advised that the parking lot is not for the exclusive use Target customers, but is shared by Pet Smart and Lowes.

va_tazdad

Bring her with you.... 'Hey honey, for your birthday I thought we would go out to dinner at this really nice place in Stafford....' :p

LOL Maybe your wife would fall for that, but mine has a limited list of acceptable places she is willing to go to eat and hates surprises.

Good try though. ;>)

TFred

Unrelated, but...

Just a heads up folks. Developing story, two counties away from Stafford, by road at least, but in the same local media news coverage area.

A family of five found dead in Culpeper home

No reports as of yet whether it's domestic murder/suicide, or all homicides.

TFred

ETA: Multiple news outlets now reporting it as a suspected murder/suicide.
ETA2: More information. Terrible story, makes me very sad.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Scooter -

Welcome to OCDO. Hope you stick around.

Nothing on whether or not there was overt/obvious marital discord or separation.

It's a shame that when one person decides they can no longer take it (whatever "it" may be) they so often also decide to take their family with them.

Showing my cruel, heartless side - thankfully the press has so far not mentioned the provision of "grief counselors". Maybe the start of school is too far off? [That last sentence may or may not have been sarcasm.]

stay safe.

TFred

Nothing on whether or not there was overt/obvious marital discord or separation.

It's a shame that when one person decides they can no longer take it (whatever "it" may be) they so often also decide to take their family with them.

Showing my cruel, heartless side - thankfully the press has so far not mentioned the provision of "grief counselors". Maybe the start of school is too far off? [That last sentence may or may not have been sarcasm.]

stay safe.
Actually, local media is reporting that there had been fairly well-known domestic stress in the house. The wife apparently did not want to make it worse by calling the police.

And local Culpeper authorities have indeed already started talking about counseling services for the school kids and others.

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Latest VCDL ALERT puts drama llama back in the barn

Go read it yourself - you are subscribed to get them, aren't you?

And here I was planning to go up there with bail money at the ready. Think I'll check out some of the events closer to home.

stay safe.

TFred

Said VA-ALERT update is below.

TFred

1. Update on Stafford National Night Out

I contacted the Target store whose parking lot is going to be used for the Stafford National Night Out tomorrow (Tuesday, August 5th, 6-9 PM at the Stafford Marketplace mall).

It turns out that the Stafford Sheriff was apparently under the mistaken impression that Target didn’t want to allow open carry in their parking lot during the event. The Target representative handling the event told me that carry was NOT an issue. What the store didn’t want was SOLICITING. That means that flyers, stickers, pamphlets, etc., can only be given to somebody if that person approaches the table on their own and specifically requests the item.

I told the representative that VCDL would accept the no solicitation policy if we had a table at the event.

The representative told me that in that case we could have a table.

I asked the representative to contact the Sheriff and let him know. He said he would.

I also left a voicemail with the Sheriff’s representative for the event, telling him about the conversation I had with the Target representative.

NOTE: We have not yet heard back from the Sheriff’s office about the table. Unless something comes up otherwise, however, we are planning on having a table at the event since Target has given us the "go ahead.” (I recorded the conversation with the Target representative to provide proof of Target’s position on both carry and VCDL having a table at the event.)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Go read it yourself - you are subscribed to get them, aren't you?

And here I was planning to go up there with bail money at the ready. Think I'll check out some of the events closer to home.

stay safe.
With 3 other BoD members planning on being in attendance w/table at Stafford, I too am going to opt for a local event - whole lot less driving.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Complete reversal

TARGET HAS DONE A 180!

Target says NO TABLE, NO STICKERS, and NO GUNS.

We are still going to go, and we will wear stickers and just explain what has transpired to anyone who asks about them. Â We will only be able to tell them about the shenanigans of the Sheriff and of Target, Â (How much you want to bet the two are in cahoots somehow?)

IF YOU CARRY IT **MUST** BE CONCEALED!.

Last edited:

thedevilrobyjohn

?

TARGET HAS DONE A 180!

We are still going to go, and we will wear stickers and just explain what has transpired to anyone who asks about them. Â We will only be able to tell them about the shenanigans of the Sheriff and of Target, Â (How much you want to bet the two are in cahoots somehow?)

no open carry even in parking lots or just target parking lot. I was wondering if a flapped cavalry holster where nothing shows in anyway is concealed. Seems to me it would be, similar as if I was carrying a purse with a gun in it? You cant see the gun in this flapped holster, it may or may not just be an empty holster...what are your thoughts because I was coming tonight. Wheres another event in our part of the universe to attend?

Blk97F150

TARGET HAS DONE A 180!

I'm pretty sure that Target does not own the parking lot... how are they able to restrict/prohibit the lawful carrying of firearms in a parking lot they do not own? :confused: