Thread: Is it easier/cheaper to apply for a non resident pistol permit

Is it easier/cheaper to apply for a non resident pistol permit

Hi guys, Since I will be moving to Connecticut soon, would you suggest I apply for a non resident permit with the state police before I actually move here? what will be the benefits of doing this and 2) what will be the negatives of doing this? thanks

Anyone moving to Connecticut should apply for and receive a non resident permit before moving here. It is cheaper, easier and there is no town interference with a suitability investigation.

Only issue is that you need a carry permit in your home state to apply.

Make sure you update your address with DESPP SLFU within 48 hours of moving here.
    Last edited by Rich B; 08-04-2014 at 05:43 PM.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

I have a non resident CT. permit and live in NC. Cost is the same took 3.5 to 4 months to get but only delt with the state. Just sent an email to the despp. here's the link to all the info. http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&q=494614

Good luck.

thanks gents,

Do you mean to tell me that Conn. actually recognizes non-res permits held by Conn. residents? How about out-of-state drivers licenses?

Most places I am aware of make you change both to their brand once you move in-state. Most states (cannot think of one that's different) do a direct swap of DLs. Some states do the same for non-res to res permits while others make you go through the process from the beginning.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Do you mean to tell me that Conn. actually recognizes non-res permits held by Conn. residents?
    No. They are no longer 'non resident' permits when you become a resident.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

You must hold a valid permit or license to carry a pistol or revolver issued by a recognized United States jurisdiction.
    Complete this form (http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/sl.../dps-799-c.pdf) and submit to DESPP, Division of State Police, pistol permit location along with the below:

Completed State of CT and Federal fingerprint card with $50.00 fee and $16.50 fee payable to Treasurer, State of Connecticut for criminal history background checks;

Firearms Safety & Use Course Certificate; (has to be NRA Basic Pistol or equitant 8 (or more) hours course)

$70.00 payable to Treasurer, State of Connecticut;

Completed Application for State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers form (DPS-46-C);

Complete DPS-129-C and attach 2x2 color photograph (passport style), sign and notarize form;

A copy of the permit or license to carry a pistol or revolver issued to you by a recognized United States jurisdiction; and

Proof you are legally and lawfully in the United States (e.g., certified copy of birth certificate, U.S. passport or documentation issued by I.C.E.).

Provide Out of State Pistol Permit Information:
    State of Issue: _______________
    Expiration Date: _____________
    Permit Number: ______________
    Last edited by dmjs; 08-09-2014 at 07:40 AM.
    "It is nice to be important, but more important to be nice"
    Member: NRA - Life, CCDL,
    CT, MA, UT, FLA Pistol Permit Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor - Professional Safety Training

Get the non resident before you move here, you save $70, no BS from a local issuing authority as you apply directly to DESPP and just to be clear you need to already hold a permit from another state but it does not need to be your resident state.
    Member:, NRA Patron Life, NSSF, CCDL, CT Carry, MRPC and Bell City
    NRA Certified Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer - Basic Pistol, Home Firearm Safety, Metallic Cartridge/Shotgun Shell Reloading - www.ctpistolpermit.com

Quote Originally Posted by brk913 View Post
    Get the non resident before you move here, you save $70, no BS from a local issuing authority as you apply directly to DESPP and just to be clear you need to already hold a permit from another state but it does not need to be your resident state.
    Cost me $136.50 total to get my CT. non resident permit. And my sheriff fingerprint me at no cost.