• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it easier/cheaper to apply for a non resident pistol permit

kalifornia

Hi guys, Since I will be moving to Connecticut soon, would you suggest I apply for a non resident permit with the state police before I actually move here? what will be the benefits of doing this and 2) what will be the negatives of doing this? thanks

Rich B

Anyone moving to Connecticut should apply for and receive a non resident permit before moving here. It is cheaper, easier and there is no town interference with a suitability investigation.

Only issue is that you need a carry permit in your home state to apply.

Make sure you update your address with DESPP SLFU within 48 hours of moving here.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Do you mean to tell me that Conn. actually recognizes non-res permits held by Conn. residents? How about out-of-state drivers licenses?

Most places I am aware of make you change both to their brand once you move in-state. Most states (cannot think of one that's different) do a direct swap of DLs. Some states do the same for non-res to res permits while others make you go through the process from the beginning.

stay safe.

dmjs

You must hold a valid permit or license to carry a pistol or revolver issued by a recognized United States jurisdiction.
Complete this form (http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/pistol_permits/dps-799-c.pdf) and submit to DESPP, Division of State Police, pistol permit location along with the below:

Completed State of CT and Federal fingerprint card with $50.00 fee and $16.50 fee payable to Treasurer, State of Connecticut for criminal history background checks;

Firearms Safety & Use Course Certificate; (has to be NRA Basic Pistol or equitant 8 (or more) hours course)

$70.00 payable to Treasurer, State of Connecticut;

Completed Application for State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers form (DPS-46-C);

Complete DPS-129-C and attach 2x2 color photograph (passport style), sign and notarize form;

A copy of the permit or license to carry a pistol or revolver issued to you by a recognized United States jurisdiction; and

Proof you are legally and lawfully in the United States (e.g., certified copy of birth certificate, U.S. passport or documentation issued by I.C.E.).

Provide Out of State Pistol Permit Information:
State of Issue: _______________
Expiration Date: _____________
Permit Number: ______________

Last edited:

brk913

Get the non resident before you move here, you save $70, no BS from a local issuing authority as you apply directly to DESPP and just to be clear you need to already hold a permit from another state but it does not need to be your resident state.

tiedie

Get the non resident before you move here, you save $70, no BS from a local issuing authority as you apply directly to DESPP and just to be clear you need to already hold a permit from another state but it does not need to be your resident state.

Cost me $136.50 total to get my CT. non resident permit. And my sheriff fingerprint me at no cost.