Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: National Night Out

  1. #1
    Regular Member wrearick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Posts
    635

    National Night Out

    Well, I actually have Tuesday Evening off from my night job so wife and I talked about going to the local national night out. In my neighborhood in Virginia Beach, Green Run, the event is being held at the local high school!

    (post by Sharon an hour ago- Green Run/Chimney Hill NNO Event will be held at Green Run High School from 6:00-8:30 PM. Hope to see you there!!

    whether intentional or not, this effectively prohibits us from attending and open carrying if I understand the statue correctly (no provision for school actually bein in session or not).

    Guess I could go empty holster and wearing my Gun Saves Lives button and have some stickers and cards handy........

  2. #2
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    See the post on the National Night Out in Stafford. It's in the Virginia Events folder.

    VA-ALERT: Stafford Sheriff to prohibit OC at National Night Out!!

    TFred

  3. #3
    Regular Member wrearick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    See the post on the National Night Out in Stafford. It's in the Virginia Events folder.

    VA-ALERT: Stafford Sheriff to prohibit OC at National Night Out!!

    TFred
    Saw it but it is a bit far to drive from Virginia Beach to support (still have to work the day job, just not the night job) so was looking to participate in my "local" event.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Wrearick -

    As you say, the only thing stopping you from wearing an empty holster and passing out GSL stickers is that you may not have stickers.

    Go for it. Wear a voice recorder.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  5. #5
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by wrearick View Post
    Saw it but it is a bit far to drive from Virginia Beach to support (still have to work the day job, just not the night job) so was looking to participate in my "local" event.
    Ah, of course... didn't mean to come across as heavy-handed!

    TFred

  6. #6
    Regular Member The Wolfhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henrico, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    697

    Tactical Banana

    When unable, due to stupid laws and magical lines, to legally carry, I have gone Tactical Banana: my largest most prominent holster available filled with the largest brightest banana I can find. It does start start conversations.

    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    I first read that as "Tactical Bandana". They, too, fit into an otherwise empty holster.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  8. #8
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    When unable, due to stupid laws and magical lines, to legally carry, I have gone Tactical Banana: my largest most prominent holster available filled with the largest brightest banana I can find. It does start start conversations.


  9. #9
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Isn't it totally counter-productive and a bit asinine to effectively "outlaw" firearms at a "Night Out Against Crime" meeting?

    Does not compute...

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Isn't it totally counter-productive and a bit asinine to effectively "outlaw" firearms at a "Night Out Against Crime" meeting?

    Does not compute...
    And just why would you expect to find logic in operation amongst a group that operates on "feels"?

    From what you have shared elsewhere, you are young. Relax. Save the headbanging for the really big (read: really, really stupid) stuff. You will save thousands of dollars on aspirin and duct tape.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  11. #11
    Regular Member wrearick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Wrearick -

    As you say, the only thing stopping you from wearing an empty holster and passing out GSL stickers is that you may not have stickers.

    Go for it. Wear a voice recorder.

    stay safe.
    I have some left in my jacket pocket from the gun show we worked and wife and I both have pins we can wear. I also have some VCDL handouts I got from Justine at our last local OC meal.

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by wrearick View Post
    I have some left in my jacket pocket from the gun show we worked and wife and I both have pins we can wear. I also have some VCDL handouts I got from Justine at our last local OC meal.
    Too late for tonight, but you can contact Bruce Jackson (VCDL's version of quatermaster) at jackson@vcdl.org and ask him to send you a roll of stickers, or see if your gun show coordinator will part with more than a handful.

    There are some folks (no, I will not drop names) who do not go anywhere without at least a half a roll of stickers, a handfull of "carry cards" and another handfull of VCDL application forms.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  13. #13
    Regular Member wrearick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Posts
    635
    thanks, email sent.

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    TARGET HAS reversed their position.

    Target says NO TABLE, NO STICKERS, and NO OC.

    We are still going to go, and we will wear stickers and just explain what has transpired to anyone who asks about them.

    IF YOU CARRY IT **MUST** BE CONCEALED!.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-05-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  15. #15
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    So who enforces the 'no OC?' The police? Target employees?

  16. #16
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    So who enforces the 'no OC?' The police? Target employees?
    You can be asked to leave by a representative of the company. If you don't comply, trespass charges can be initiated by LEO.

    Understand that Target claims the parking lot is owned by them. Don't think that is the entire parking lot for the shopping center though.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-05-2014 at 03:55 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  17. #17
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    TARGET HAS reversed their position.

    Target says NO TABLE, NO STICKERS, and NO OC.

    We are still going to go, and we will wear stickers and just explain what has transpired to anyone who asks about them.

    IF YOU CARRY IT **MUST** BE CONCEALED!.
    Hopefully there is some documentation such as emails Grape. Target is on the verge of being on the don't patronize list but right now I don't know if it's that Target or Corporate.
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-05-2014 at 04:51 PM.

  18. #18
    Regular Member OC Freedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    ADA County, ID
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    TARGET HAS reversed their position.

    Target says NO TABLE, NO STICKERS, and NO OC.

    We are still going to go, and we will wear stickers and just explain what has transpired to anyone who asks about them.

    IF YOU CARRY IT **MUST** BE CONCEALED!.
    When I run into these situations like malls that do not allow firearms I will conceal my pistol, but I will wear 4 to 6 ammo mags to make a point. The mags are the speed type so half the magazine is exposed so as any anti-gun power tripping employee knows what it is. I will leave the mags empty, nothing illegal or against store policies by lugging plastic empty glock mags around on my person. I have had a Safeway manager try to get me to leave once, but he didn't suceed. Still puts a smile on my face thinking on it.

  19. #19
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Hopefully there is some documentation such as emails Grape. Target is on the verge of being on the don't patronize list but right now I don't know if it's that Target or Corporate.
    Much of what I have seen/heard has been from internal VCDL emails (i.e. the parking lot).

    There appears to be considerable anti pressure from the local Sheriff. The Sheriff should be reminded that he serves at the pleasure of the people.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  20. #20
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Freedom View Post
    When I run into these situations like malls that do not allow firearms I will conceal my pistol, but I will wear 4 to 6 ammo mags to make a point. The mags are the speed type so half the magazine is exposed so as any anti-gun power tripping employee knows what it is. I will leave the mags empty, nothing illegal or against store policies by lugging plastic empty glock mags around on my person. I have had a Safeway manager try to get me to leave once, but he didn't suceed. Still puts a smile on my face thinking on it.
    Rable rouser!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  21. #21
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    You can be asked to leave by a representative of the company. If you don't comply, trespass charges can be initiated by LEO.

    Understand that Target claims the parking lot is owned by them. Don't think that is the entire parking lot for the shopping center though.
    I would like to find out precisely. If it's not posted anywhere I would be inclined to open carry anyway and leave if asked. I have open carried in the East Laburnum Target every time I've been there and never even gotten a second look. There is nothing posted anywhere on the premises that I could find.

    Furthermore, where is this rule posted, under whose authority was it posted, and (although A) would answer this for me) is the rule applicable to the persons putting on the event or patrons as well? Like I said, I've never had a problem OC'ing at Target before, so maybe I am ignorant here?

  22. #22
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Okay, so what happened last night??

  23. #23
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    Okay, so what happened last night??
    Originally Posted by Grapeshot

    That essentially confirms what was told to VCDL leadership.

    Waiting for a report on how the Stafford effort went. They were to start off in front of Five Guys, within sight of Target.
    As posted by jegoodin on another thread:

    I'm sure Phillip and others will provide more detais from their perspectives, but within the very narrow limits we were working I'd say it went well.

    Several of us met Bruce in front of the 5Guys and "armed" ourselves with GSL pins and stickers, not to pass out, but pasted to our clothing so we were visible walking around. Everyone wearing the stickers were not open carrying.

    I was approached by several VCDL members who were manning other booths, who thanked me for the support. I was also asked by several people where they could get stickers. Most of them mentioned getting them last year and wanted to again. I explained the story.

    I had a few LEOs pass by who checked me over visually as I passed by, nothing was said other than a nod and "hello".

    After a while several of us congregated in one area and Bruce was holding a sealed roll of stickers. This proved to be a great conversation starter as many people came up to ask for stickers, but we had to decline citing Target "policy" and the sheriff department complicity. We took turns holding the roll and answering the questions. Everyone who approached us was very pro-gun and agreed fully with the GSL message. I was not approached by any antis and to my knowledge neither were any of the others.

    I observed 3 people open carrying who were not there as part of our group. I did not see anyone hassle them in any way although it was very crowded and could have happened away from my observation.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...48#post2080348






    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-06-2014 at 10:56 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  24. #24
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    The link doesn't work for me Grape.

  25. #25
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    The link doesn't work for me Grape.
    Thanks - fixed it.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •