• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Night Out

The Truth

You can be asked to leave by a representative of the company. If you don't comply, trespass charges can be initiated by LEO.

Understand that Target claims the parking lot is owned by them. Don't think that is the entire parking lot for the shopping center though.

I would like to find out precisely. If it's not posted anywhere I would be inclined to open carry anyway and leave if asked. I have open carried in the East Laburnum Target every time I've been there and never even gotten a second look. There is nothing posted anywhere on the premises that I could find.

Furthermore, where is this rule posted, under whose authority was it posted, and (although A) would answer this for me) is the rule applicable to the persons putting on the event or patrons as well? Like I said, I've never had a problem OC'ing at Target before, so maybe I am ignorant here?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Okay, so what happened last night?? :confused:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

That essentially confirms what was told to VCDL leadership.

Waiting for a report on how the Stafford effort went. They were to start off in front of Five Guys, within sight of Target.
As posted by jegoodin on another thread:

I'm sure Phillip and others will provide more detais from their perspectives, but within the very narrow limits we were working I'd say it went well.

Several of us met Bruce in front of the 5Guys and "armed" ourselves with GSL pins and stickers, not to pass out, but pasted to our clothing so we were visible walking around. Everyone wearing the stickers were not open carrying.

I was approached by several VCDL members who were manning other booths, who thanked me for the support. I was also asked by several people where they could get stickers. Most of them mentioned getting them last year and wanted to again. I explained the story.

I had a few LEOs pass by who checked me over visually as I passed by, nothing was said other than a nod and "hello".

After a while several of us congregated in one area and Bruce was holding a sealed roll of stickers. This proved to be a great conversation starter as many people came up to ask for stickers, but we had to decline citing Target "policy" and the sheriff department complicity. We took turns holding the roll and answering the questions. Everyone who approached us was very pro-gun and agreed fully with the GSL message. I was not approached by any antis and to my knowledge neither were any of the others.

I observed 3 people open carrying who were not there as part of our group. I did not see anyone hassle them in any way although it was very crowded and could have happened away from my observation.
[url]http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?123342-VA-ALERT-Stafford-Sheriff-to-prohibit-OC-at-National-Night-Out!&p=2080348#post2080348

[/URL]

Last edited:

The Truth

Glad to see there were OC'ers anyway, and that they were ignored from what it sounds like. I'd say that's a win!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Glad to see there were OC'ers anyway, and that they were ignored from what it sounds like. I'd say that's a win!
Very small win - 3 OCers is hardly representative of us.

The sheriff's actions (an elected official) had a chilling effect on both the 1st and the 2nd Amendments.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

The sheriff's actions (an elected official) had a chilling effect on both the 1st and the 2nd Amendments.

Hate to be a wet blanket on your sad, but how many OCers does one usually see in Stafford County?

On a related note, while I'm not faulting VCDL's decision on how to deal with stickers, I much more enjoyed the way it was handled at the Hanover Tomato Festival. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?123009-Hanover-Tomato-Festival-Sat-July-12th Strict adherence to the rules.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hate to be a wet blanket on your sad, but how many OCers does one usually see in Stafford County?

On a related note, while I'm not faulting VCDL's decision on how to deal with stickers, I much more enjoyed the way it was handled at the Hanover Tomato Festival. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?123009-Hanover-Tomato-Festival-Sat-July-12th Strict adherence to the rules.

stay safe.
OC grows in direct proportion to how it is cultivated....in Stafford as well as elsewhere.

The Tomato Festival approach was suggested.

jegoodin

stay safe.

I'm from Stafford and frequent Stafford Marketplace stores. I carry both open and concealed and sometimes both at the same time. It isn't uncommon to see another open carrier in and around the Garrisonville area of Stafford, but probably uncommon to see 3 in the same area within a couple of hours. Bounce that against a community event focused on anti-crime and I'd say 3 OCers could be considered within normal limits.

The Truth

This is why I was asking so many specific questions about the 'terms' of the get together. If I lived closer to Stafford, as I said before, I would've OC'd anyway and just left if asked, but only to avoid trespass charges.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

This is why I was asking so many specific questions about the 'terms' of the get together. If I lived closer to Stafford, as I said before, I would've OC'd anyway and just left if asked, but only to avoid trespass charges.
Presuming you were given that option.....and not made to "take the ride" and let the judge sort it out.

It is always good to have a plan B and a plan C......for when plan A doesn't work out.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Would it be a violation of The Rules to note that some organizations are more organized than others?

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Would it be a violation of The Rules to note that some organizations are more organized than others?

stay safe.
Some organizations have more members willing to respond to the bugle call. I know....time is money = it takes an investment, Liberty isn't free.

An actual show of force/numbers beats the heck out of the "hellya I support that."

wrearick

Same question to the OP about Virginia Beach.

stay safe.

Saw preps in the parking lot on my way home but unfortunately life threw up a road block and I didn't make it back up to the school until after the published end time and break down was fully underway. Did get a chance to speak with some neighbors in the neighborhood and one has started open carrying while others have begun to CC on a more regular basis. That is better than it sitting in the bedside night stand. Passed out most of my Guns Saves Lives stickers in the neighborhood and about to order a whole roll!

Target date for dropping down to one job is 15 October which will allow me to be more active in local events. (missed the last VCDL membership meeting due to working :()