• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LOCAL Oregon Firearms Ordinances - Comprehensive Listing

Dave H.

While reading this,
when it is in red and states "total carry ban in parks and no CHL exception" does this mean with a CHL you can carry in parks and such ??
With a CHL, you can carry loaded in any parks and such in any city I thought, or maybe I`m just reading it wrong, the stuff in red.

We-the-People

While reading this,
when it is in red and states "total carry ban in parks and no CHL exception" does this mean with a CHL you can carry in parks and such ??
With a CHL, you can carry loaded in any parks and such in any city I thought, or maybe I`m just reading it wrong, the stuff in red.

RED highlights are a DANGER/WARNING flag but could only be for non CHL holders. The "tags" under the city name give a little more information and the notes even more if there is one.

So, if it's RED that means there are "issues" either for non CHL holders OR because the ordinance exceeds local authority such as a total carry ban in parks.

Cities can't totally ban carry even for those without CHL's and those with CHL's are exempt from all local firearms ordinances.

SO....while a city may have a "total carry ban in parks and no CHL exception", that is an unlawful ordinance and, per ORS 166.170, it is void. That doesn't mean they won't try to enforce it though, including on a CHL holder. That's one of the reasons I did all the research to get this put together. So that those near cities with such problematic ordinances could take those cities to task. For instance, a CHL holder open carrying to a park where the city has a total ban on carry.

Does that explain it?