Thread: traveling

traveling

In Oklahoma if you carry past a no firearms permitted its not criminal however you can be asked to leave. I am curious what the laws are for carrying in Lousiana (Cant spell sorry) Is it criminal or just get asked to leave? What about open carry?

The way I read your question is "Do Louisiana 'no gun' signs have the force of law?"

The answer appears to be YES, they do (very short on research time, and limited site availability, so don't take this as the only word for it): http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/louisiana.pdf

Here is the relevant text:

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

It also appears that OC is legal in the state (private grounds, and some municipalities may disagree, but there is a state preemption),
    Last edited by jackrockblc; 08-04-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Incomplete initial response.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 1st fan View Post
    In Oklahoma if you carry past a no firearms permitted its not criminal however you can be asked to leave. I am curious what the laws are for carrying in Lousiana (Cant spell sorry) Is it criminal or just get asked to leave? What about open carry?
    OC is legal in Louisiana and Concealed Carry is as long as you have a recognized permit. There are some restrictions you need to look out for and I would research the areas that you plan to visit. You can have a loaded gun in your car and as long as it isn't concealed (without a permit) you will be all right. There are some links on the LOCAL website that are helpful in looking up the various laws/restrictions. http://laopencarry.org/
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by HeroHog View Post
    .....You can have a loaded gun in your car and as long as it isn't concealed (without a permit) you will be all right..... http://laopencarry.org/
    Hero, I'm not saying this assessment is incorrect, however I know of no law that says you have to have a permit to conceal a firearm in your vehicle.

Maybe you were referring to concealing on one's person. In this case I can understand why you would say you can't conceal.

In LA you can have firearms in your vehicle, loaded or unloaded. Until the courts change the law, your vehicle is an extension of your home and laws that apply to your home also apply to your vehicle. This includes the castle doctrine.

I was thought this when I wore a badge in 70ís and 80ís. You can put your loaded gun anywhere you want to. Think of it this way, You can put your loaded gun under your pillow; you can put it in the glove box.

Wolf
    Pres. Florida Parishes Chapter of LOCAL www.laopencarry.org

.308 Isn't an area code, but it can still make long distance calls.
    How may I help you? Press '1' for English. Press '2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang1952 View Post
    I was thought this when I wore a badge in 70ís and 80ís. You can put your loaded gun anywhere you want to. Think of it this way, You can put your loaded gun under your pillow; you can put it in the glove box.

Wolf
    ...unless a law has been passed since 1979, and no one has cited one, the LA law on loaded handguns is that they may be carried anywhere in the vehicle...from the dashboard to the trunk...concealed or openly displayed...by anyone legally eligible to possess a firearm...I both grew up in LA and policed there...and that was the law then...

Quote Originally Posted by HeroHog View Post
    OC is legal in Louisiana and Concealed Carry is as long as you have a recognized permit. There are some restrictions you need to look out for and I would research the areas that you plan to visit. You can have a loaded gun in your car and as long as it isn't concealed (without a permit) you will be all right. There are some links on the LOCAL website that are helpful in looking up the various laws/restrictions. http://laopencarry.org/
    ...thanks for posting this site...it's a valuable source for research on LA laws/decisions...sorely needed and much appreciated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    ...unless a law has been passed since 1979, and no one has cited one, the LA law on loaded handguns is that they may be carried anywhere in the vehicle...from the dashboard to the trunk...concealed or openly displayed...by anyone legally eligible to possess a firearm...I both grew up in LA and policed there...and that was the law then...
    It can't be concealed on your person unless you have a conceal carry permit. It can be carried openly on your body or placed anywhere in the car.
    As for citing a law, there is no exemption for conceal carry in your home or car. Some police or internet commandoes are telling people that you can conceal carry in your car saying it's an "extension of your home". Not true because you can't legally conceal in your home without a permit either. My cite for this? State v. Young. I refer you to our April 2014 newsletter where we discussed this under "No Permit = No Conceal Carry (Even On Your Own Property)" based off of an article written by New Orleans attorney Owen Courreges Read the newsletter here- http://www.laopencarry.org/newsletter1404.shtml .
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

I was referring to concealed on your person. I normally say it that way but I guess I slipped up this time.
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

...you did it on purpose just so you'd blend in with the rest of us...you sly dog!!!