• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

traveling

Glock 1st fan

In Oklahoma if you carry past a no firearms permitted its not criminal however you can be asked to leave. I am curious what the laws are for carrying in Lousiana (Cant spell sorry) Is it criminal or just get asked to leave? What about open carry?

jackrockblc

The way I read your question is "Do Louisiana 'no gun' signs have the force of law?"

The answer appears to be YES, they do (very short on research time, and limited site availability, so don't take this as the only word for it): http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/louisiana.pdf

Here is the relevant text:

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

It also appears that OC is legal in the state (private grounds, and some municipalities may disagree, but there is a state preemption),

Last edited:

HeroHog

In Oklahoma if you carry past a no firearms permitted its not criminal however you can be asked to leave. I am curious what the laws are for carrying in Lousiana (Cant spell sorry) Is it criminal or just get asked to leave? What about open carry?

OC is legal in Louisiana and Concealed Carry is as long as you have a recognized permit. There are some restrictions you need to look out for and I would research the areas that you plan to visit. You can have a loaded gun in your car and as long as it isn't concealed (without a permit) you will be all right. There are some links on the LOCAL website that are helpful in looking up the various laws/restrictions. http://laopencarry.org/

rmansu2

.....You can have a loaded gun in your car and as long as it isn't concealed (without a permit) you will be all right..... http://laopencarry.org/

Hero, I'm not saying this assessment is incorrect, however I know of no law that says you have to have a permit to conceal a firearm in your vehicle.

Maybe you were referring to concealing on one's person. In this case I can understand why you would say you can't conceal.

In LA you can have firearms in your vehicle, loaded or unloaded. Until the courts change the law, your vehicle is an extension of your home and laws that apply to your home also apply to your vehicle. This includes the castle doctrine.

Wolfgang1952

I was thought this when I wore a badge in 70’s and 80’s. You can put your loaded gun anywhere you want to. Think of it this way, You can put your loaded gun under your pillow; you can put it in the glove box.

Wolf

sheepdog

I was thought this when I wore a badge in 70’s and 80’s. You can put your loaded gun anywhere you want to. Think of it this way, You can put your loaded gun under your pillow; you can put it in the glove box.

Wolf

...unless a law has been passed since 1979, and no one has cited one, the LA law on loaded handguns is that they may be carried anywhere in the vehicle...from the dashboard to the trunk...concealed or openly displayed...by anyone legally eligible to possess a firearm...I both grew up in LA and policed there...and that was the law then...

sheepdog

OC is legal in Louisiana and Concealed Carry is as long as you have a recognized permit. There are some restrictions you need to look out for and I would research the areas that you plan to visit. You can have a loaded gun in your car and as long as it isn't concealed (without a permit) you will be all right. There are some links on the LOCAL website that are helpful in looking up the various laws/restrictions. http://laopencarry.org/

...thanks for posting this site...it's a valuable source for research on LA laws/decisions...sorely needed and much appreciated!!!

sraacke

...unless a law has been passed since 1979, and no one has cited one, the LA law on loaded handguns is that they may be carried anywhere in the vehicle...from the dashboard to the trunk...concealed or openly displayed...by anyone legally eligible to possess a firearm...I both grew up in LA and policed there...and that was the law then...

It can't be concealed on your person unless you have a conceal carry permit. It can be carried openly on your body or placed anywhere in the car.
As for citing a law, there is no exemption for conceal carry in your home or car. Some police or internet commandoes are telling people that you can conceal carry in your car saying it's an "extension of your home". Not true because you can't legally conceal in your home without a permit either. My cite for this? State v. Young. I refer you to our April 2014 newsletter where we discussed this under "No Permit = No Conceal Carry (Even On Your Own Property)" based off of an article written by New Orleans attorney Owen Courreges Read the newsletter here- http://www.laopencarry.org/newsletter1404.shtml .

HeroHog

I was referring to concealed on your person. I normally say it that way but I guess I slipped up this time.

sheepdog

...you did it on purpose just so you'd blend in with the rest of us...you sly dog!!!