• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spherical magnets to be banned, no such thing as enough warning labels...

Freedom1Man

http://zenmagnets.com/we-will-fight-until-the-end/?mc_cid=049352ea38&mc_eid=3cba61dc07
Warnings

The paramount issue in this case is the CPSC’s argument that warnings don’t work, alleging that “No warnings or instructions could be devised that would effectively communicate the [ingestion] hazard so that the warnings and instructions could be understood and heeded by consumers to reduce the number of magnet ingestion incidents.” (Second Amended Complaint, ¶ 89) This issue alone makes an influential case with vast implications, as warnings are the traditional method used to encourage public safety.

Warnings are an agreement between a customer and product. The consumer retains the benefit of using and choosing a product, in exchange for the responsibility of doing so. And by assuming people are unable to follow or understand instructions — despite the lack of confirmed injuries linked to Zen Magnets — the CPSC makes the judgment that the American Population is not worthy or capable of deciding for themselves. By alleging that magnets “have low utility to customers” (SAC¶ 105) and are “not necessary to consumers” (SAC¶ 106) is non-consensually replacing a consumer’s judgment with a value judgement of it’s own.

It does not matter if you are a parent who knows your child can safely handle magnets. It does not matter if you don’t have children and want to use magnets at your own home. It does not matter if you’re a professor looking to build sculptures for demonstrations of molecular bonding or platonic solids. The CPSC is seeking no middle ground on the subject, and assumes with great prejudice, that the American population cannot be trusted to ever keep magnets out of the mouths of their children. As if magnets are the first product to be dangerous if misused by an audience it is not intended for.

If this can fly in regards to magnets, it could fly in regards to any other product (guns/ammo) that the government agency wants to twist it's mind around.

I figured I should share this as there is almost no mention of it anywhere else.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I wanted to buy a spherical magnet, just because, after reading the first couple of paragraphs. Then I got to paragraph #2 under the "Magnets" subheading:
Zen Magnets said:
...The harm of products can be categorized in to three groups. There are products that are meant to cause harm. These are products like guns, pepper spray, brass knuckles, tasers, warships, and most other products that come out of the military industrial complex. There are products that may be reasonably expected cause harm, even if used responsibly. Alcohol, tobacco, trampolines, skateboards, ATVs, skis, snowboards. Things with warnings that say “Using this is inherently dangerous”. And then there are products that are only dangerous if misused. This is the category that every other product falls under, including magnet spheres. Anything can cause harm if misused...
Excuse me?
Freedom1Man said:
...If this can fly in regards to magnets, it could fly in regards to any other product (guns/ammo)...
Looks like Zen is willing to throw us under the bus on that one.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

http://zenmagnets.com/we-will-fight-until-the-end/?mc_cid=049352ea38&mc_eid=3cba61dc07

If this can fly in regards to magnets, it could fly in regards to any other product (guns/ammo) that the government agency wants to twist it's mind around.

I figured I should share this as there is almost no mention of it anywhere else.

Reason.com has been following it. I personally recommend Reason for a great source of liberty related news.

http://reason.com/blog/2014/07/31/cpsc-still-trying-to-crush-buckyballs-la

OC for ME

...The harm of products can be categorized in to three groups. There are products that are meant to cause harm. These are products like guns, pepper spray, brass knuckles, tasers, warships, and most other products that come out of the military industrial complex.
Uh, ya better tell the cops and judges, the CPSC is now classifying tasers as dangerous and harmful...cops and judges ain't gunna like this.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So this is a news story about the guy with the last stash of Bucky Balls.

CPSC put Bucky Balls out of business several years ago. Is seems they are just now getting around to forcing the manufacturer to give refunds to those that want to turn them in.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ls-recall-refund-lawsuit-settlement/12764915/

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Newsroom/New...Buckycubes-High-Powered-Magnet-Sets-Recalled/

If you bought the proper Bucky Balls set you could have noticed how similar they are in diameter to other objects we know and love.:uhoh:

Forget prying them out of my cold, dead hands. Let somebody with a medical degree pry them out of some other place.:shocker:

A basic Google search for "buckyballs" reveals other folks still selling them - at least till the CSPC gets its ban in place.

stay safe.

stay safe.