Thread: Hewitt police firearms instructor shoots himself in hand

Hewitt police firearms instructor shoots himself in hand

The firearms instructor for the Hewitt Police Department is recovering from surgery after accidentally shooting himself in the left hand while teaching family members to shoot.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/greater...593534f78.html
    Teachable moment.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    I don't need an instructor to tell me not to point any gun, loaded or not, at a part of any person's body.

Thanks for reminding me why !

I tried to see if I could find out what their duty weapon is. I'm laying odds that's what he was using at the time, and I'm curious if it might have front slide serrations or some other dumb reason why he let his hand get that close to the muzzle while administratively handling a loaded weapon.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Charge him, give him a psych eval. and subsequently confiscate his weapons in the name of 'officer safety'. (see what I did there).

On a more serious note, I'm glad he's OK and no family members or dogs were harmed by this injudicious act.

The incident occurred July 15 on Vanek’s family property near the McLennan and Falls county lines and did not involve any Hewitt-issued guns or equipment.
    Third paragraph.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Third paragraph.
    Missed that. Thanks.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Hmm. I still bet it's a Glock.

He probably pulled a Lee Paige.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Hmm. I still bet it's a Glock.

He probably pulled a Lee Paige.
    If this is the case, then child endangerment is in order...it is a Glock after all.

Hey, it happens. I think i would've issued a statement highlighting my mistake and the importance of following the basic gun safety rules at all times.

The best one ever was that DEA agent that shot himself in the foot. "I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS ROOM PROFESSIONAL ENOUGH TO HANDLE THIS GLOCK 40" BAAAM. But i do give him credit, he toughed through it at the time. I read he later filed a lawsuit against the DEA because his fellow employees made fun of him so much. I would've worn a wooden gun into work the next day like the cop in "the other guys". Gotta make fun of yourself after something like that otherwise people will never leave you alone!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sourc...07430929243733

Now we know Texans are tough but you guys really should consider using paper targets instead.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.