• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MDA Speak: "Open Carry is like Second-Hand Smoke" (bad for restaurants)

Repeater

Good read in the WSJ:

Smaller Restaurants Welcome Gun Owners
While Some Large Chains Discourage Guns, More Independent Restaurateurs Are Giving the Green Light
Eateries like Shiloh Brew & Chew in Maryville, Tenn., are posting signs saying guns are welcome. All Around Pizza and Deli in Virginia Beach, Va., is offering discounts for patrons who show up armed, while The Cajun Experience in Leesburg, Va., hosts "Second Amendment Wednesdays." At Shooters Grill in Rifle, Colo., the waitresses pack heat.

"I believe in the right to bear arms, and as a small business owner, who am I to take it away?" said Sharma Floyd, the owner of Shiloh Brew & Chew.

Some gun-control activists call the pro-gun efforts irresponsible. "Restaurants routinely protect their patrons from second-hand smoke, so it makes sense they would go out of their way to protect them from bullets as well," said Shannon Watts, the founder of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, which has pressured larger companies to adopt more-restrictive policies on guns.

Anyone for breakfast here?

NA-CC183_RESTAU_DV_20140803164721.jpg

[size=+1]Jessie Spaulding, a gun-toting waitress at the Shooters Grill in Rifle, Colo., where weapons are welcome.[/size]

jackrockblc

I was just there two weekends ago. Jessie (pictured) was our waitress and was very courteous, friendly and just awesome. This, despite the fact that the place was PACKED. I overheard the manager talking to the guy next to me about providing another source of beef, as the restaurant had run out frequently.

My recommendation: go. Prices are good, good is AWESOME, waitresses are...I gotta say it... They're hot. And it's not just because they're carrying either. I did carry my Walther in there with not even a sideways glance from anybody. It was awesome.

stealthyeliminator

LOL

"Restaurants routinely protect their patrons from second-hand smoke, so it makes sense they would go out of their way to protect them from bullets as well"

This is parody material. I'm honestly surprised she'd even try to pass that off as a serious remark.

stealthyeliminator

In many jurisdictions the tyranny of the minority legislated against second-hand smoke in public places over the vehement objections of these restaurateurs.

Oh, I'm well aware... I live in one such jurisdiction. I just think there are so many issues with her statement that it's laughable. The comparison made is laughable from all angles. You can look at it frontwards, backwards, from the side, and get a new laugh every time.