Thread: Getting on a U.S. Military Base Will Now Include an FBI Background Check

Getting on a U.S. Military Base Will Now Include an FBI Background Check

NICS will be used.

Getting on a U.S. Military Base Will Now Include an FBI Background Check
    http://www.defenseone.com/threats/20...ZzOVQ.facebook

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Think that we can anticipate a lot of problems with this.

Many (most?) mass shooters would not be caught by such screening - meanwhile the rest of us are penalized.

Big brother is reaching again.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

The check at gun stores usually takes about five minutes. This will be disastrous during morning commute hours, unless it takes less than five seconds. Most service members have security clearances which means they've been vetted. I can only see this being efficient if it only runs checks on those without clearances and those checks take less than 5 seconds. Otherwise, everyone will be late to work.

Oh, snap!

I have not had the desire to hit the Commissary in years. I feel a sudden irresistable urge to go next week.

Members of the defense community, starting this Friday, automatically will be screened against the FBI’s criminal database when they try enter military installations and pulled aside if the system shows an arrest, felony or outstanding warrant.
    Identification smartcards issued to troops, veterans, relatives and other individuals permitted to enter military bases ....
    I'm pretty sure I am going to need to get one of them there smarty cards unless my new VA ID is one. Even more fun!

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Haven't all the base shooting been perpetrated by men who already had clearance and therefore would not undergo an additional test?
    Last edited by Kopis; 08-06-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    Haven't all the base shooting been perpetrated by men who already had clearance and therefore would not undergo an additional test?
    Well, yeah, but what's your point? [/sarcasm]

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Might not matter....

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Oh, snap!

I have not had the desire to hit the Commissary in years. I feel a sudden irresistable urge to go next week.
    At a lot of the bases now, the commissary and exchange are OUTSIDE the gate, and there's no sentry or check to go there. Exception being Little Creek JEB; that's still inside the perimeter...
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-06-2014 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Fixed quote box

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnfenter View Post
    At a lot of the bases now, the commissary and exchange are OUTSIDE the gate, and there's no sentry or check to go there. Exception being Little Creek JEB; that's still inside the perimeter...
    Then there is the problem of getting to Quantico Tactical as one must pass through the main gate.
    http://quanticotactical.com/document...nsQuantico.asp
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by CDT COX View Post
    The check at gun stores usually takes about five minutes. This will be disastrous during morning commute hours, unless it takes less than five seconds. Most service members have security clearances which means they've been vetted. I can only see this being efficient if it only runs checks on those without clearances and those checks take less than 5 seconds. Otherwise, everyone will be late to work.
    This wouldn't have stopped Major Hussain nor would it have stopped the last Fort Hood shooting. This also wouldn't have stopped Dean Mellberg from the 1994 shooting at the Fairchild AFB hospital that I was a part of as he had an ID and no criminal history as of 20 June 1994.

Stupid real stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Then there is the problem of getting to Quantico Tactical as one must pass through the main gate.
    http://quanticotactical.com/document...nsQuantico.asp
    Never had a problem getting through the Base to go to Q-town. Pull over to the far right lane, roll down the window and tell Lance Corporal Snuffy that you are goinmg to Q-town and have firearms in the vehicle. You will be asked to unload the firearms and store the ammo in a different part of the vehicle from the firearms (for instance ammo on the front seat & guns on the back seat) and reminded to make no stops between the gate and the railroad tracks.

Pull over imediately after crossing trhe railroad tracks and reload. Reverse when leaving Q-town, but stop on the shoulder just past the yellow line across the road marking the Base boundary. Alternately, park in front of the Quantico Police station and do your loading/unloading there.

Used to go into S&G or Q-town Cafe for lunch just so I could do that. Wear one pistol and have 2 or 3 more on the seat, a rifle or three, and a shotgun. Lance Corporal Snuffy got a really funny look on his face when he realized that I outgunned the entire gate party and that there just was not room enough for all of them behind that plexiglass shield stand.

Not sure how the new rules will effect going to Q-town. May have drive up there for lunch one day soon.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by johnfenter View Post
    Thank goodness Ft. Lee's is still buried waaaay in the back of the base.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

As long as we're passing another test, can we carry a gun now?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Wouldn't bother me I have been through worse when I had to do some work at Fermi II.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    As long as we're passing another test, can we carry a gun now?
    Nahhhhhhh! I just drive through the gate in one of these.....seriously.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truck.1.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	11865  
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

Now we know why. Background check firm hit by cyberattack. TWT

The federal government’s biggest contractor for conducting background checks disclosed Wednesday that it’s been hit by a cyberattack with all the markings of of a “state sponsored attack.” The company, USIS, said the attack was recently discovered by the company’s IT department and that officials immediately notified federal law enforcement and the Office of Personnel Management, which oversees most federal background checks.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...t-cyberattack/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

It's not that big a deal. A stop at the welcome center and an NICS check will get you a 90 pass.
    Previously, every vehicle (non-DOD ID) had to be inspected.
    With the new system, you show up at the welcome center, complete minimal paperwork, wait for results of the check, and receive a 90 day pass to get on post.
    With the pass, no vehicle inspection.

Forgot to mention: This new procedure began back in November.
    Last edited by 325rto; 08-06-2014 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 325rto View Post
    It's not that big a deal. A stop at the welcome center and an NICS check will get you a 90 pass.
    Previously, every vehicle (non-DOD ID) had to be inspected.
    With the new system, you show up at the welcome center, complete minimal paperwork, wait for results of the check, and receive a 90 day pass to get on post.
    With the pass, no vehicle inspection.

Forgot to mention: This new procedure began back in November.
    Screw a 90-day pass. I'm entitled - ENTITLED, I say! - to use several facilities on base and I'll be darned if I'm going to renew my pass every 90 days.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Screw a 90-day pass. I'm entitled - ENTITLED, I say! - to use several facilities on base and I'll be darned if I'm going to renew my pass every 90 days.

stay safe.
    I wonder if a person having severe chest pain trying to get to the base hospital will have to stop at the visitors center and stand in line to have his clearance before heading to the ER for treatment? You know for security and all.

(Sarcasm)