• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting on a U.S. Military Base Will Now Include an FBI Background Check

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Think that we can anticipate a lot of problems with this.

Many (most?) mass shooters would not be caught by such screening - meanwhile the rest of us are penalized.

Big brother is reaching again.

CDT COX

The check at gun stores usually takes about five minutes. This will be disastrous during morning commute hours, unless it takes less than five seconds. Most service members have security clearances which means they've been vetted. I can only see this being efficient if it only runs checks on those without clearances and those checks take less than 5 seconds. Otherwise, everyone will be late to work.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Oh, snap!

I have not had the desire to hit the Commissary in years. I feel a sudden irresistable urge to go next week.

Members of the defense community, starting this Friday, automatically will be screened against the FBI’s criminal database when they try enter military installations and pulled aside if the system shows an arrest, felony or outstanding warrant.
Identification smartcards issued to troops, veterans, relatives and other individuals permitted to enter military bases ....

I'm pretty sure I am going to need to get one of them there smarty cards unless my new VA ID is one. Even more fun!

stay safe.

Kopis

Haven't all the base shooting been perpetrated by men who already had clearance and therefore would not undergo an additional test?

Last edited:

johnfenter

Might not matter....

Oh, snap!

I have not had the desire to hit the Commissary in years. I feel a sudden irresistable urge to go next week.

At a lot of the bases now, the commissary and exchange are OUTSIDE the gate, and there's no sentry or check to go there. Exception being Little Creek JEB; that's still inside the perimeter...

Last edited by a moderator:

DocWalker

The check at gun stores usually takes about five minutes. This will be disastrous during morning commute hours, unless it takes less than five seconds. Most service members have security clearances which means they've been vetted. I can only see this being efficient if it only runs checks on those without clearances and those checks take less than 5 seconds. Otherwise, everyone will be late to work.

This wouldn't have stopped Major Hussain nor would it have stopped the last Fort Hood shooting. This also wouldn't have stopped Dean Mellberg from the 1994 shooting at the Fairchild AFB hospital that I was a part of as he had an ID and no criminal history as of 20 June 1994.

Stupid real stupid.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Then there is the problem of getting to Quantico Tactical as one must pass through the main gate.
http://quanticotactical.com/documents/directions/directionsQuantico.asp

Never had a problem getting through the Base to go to Q-town. Pull over to the far right lane, roll down the window and tell Lance Corporal Snuffy that you are goinmg to Q-town and have firearms in the vehicle. You will be asked to unload the firearms and store the ammo in a different part of the vehicle from the firearms (for instance ammo on the front seat & guns on the back seat) and reminded to make no stops between the gate and the railroad tracks.

Pull over imediately after crossing trhe railroad tracks and reload. Reverse when leaving Q-town, but stop on the shoulder just past the yellow line across the road marking the Base boundary. Alternately, park in front of the Quantico Police station and do your loading/unloading there.

Used to go into S&G or Q-town Cafe for lunch just so I could do that. Wear one pistol and have 2 or 3 more on the seat, a rifle or three, and a shotgun. Lance Corporal Snuffy got a really funny look on his face when he realized that I outgunned the entire gate party and that there just was not room enough for all of them behind that plexiglass shield stand.

Not sure how the new rules will effect going to Q-town. May have drive up there for lunch one day soon.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
At a lot of the bases now, the commissary and exchange are OUTSIDE the gate, and there's no sentry or check to go there. Exception being Little Creek JEB; that's still inside the perimeter...

Thank goodness Ft. Lee's is still buried waaaay in the back of the base.

stay safe.

wizzi01

Wouldn't bother me I have been through worse when I had to do some work at Fermi II.

325rto

It's not that big a deal. A stop at the welcome center and an NICS check will get you a 90 pass.
Previously, every vehicle (non-DOD ID) had to be inspected.
With the new system, you show up at the welcome center, complete minimal paperwork, wait for results of the check, and receive a 90 day pass to get on post.
With the pass, no vehicle inspection.

Forgot to mention: This new procedure began back in November.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It's not that big a deal. A stop at the welcome center and an NICS check will get you a 90 pass.
Previously, every vehicle (non-DOD ID) had to be inspected.
With the new system, you show up at the welcome center, complete minimal paperwork, wait for results of the check, and receive a 90 day pass to get on post.
With the pass, no vehicle inspection.

Forgot to mention: This new procedure began back in November.

Screw a 90-day pass. I'm entitled - ENTITLED, I say! - to use several facilities on base and I'll be darned if I'm going to renew my pass every 90 days.

stay safe.

DocWalker

Screw a 90-day pass. I'm entitled - ENTITLED, I say! - to use several facilities on base and I'll be darned if I'm going to renew my pass every 90 days.

stay safe.

I wonder if a person having severe chest pain trying to get to the base hospital will have to stop at the visitors center and stand in line to have his clearance before heading to the ER for treatment? You know for security and all.

(Sarcasm)