• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should Insurance be Mandatory for Gun Owners?

OC for ME

I'm not so much interested in the issue as I was interested in a insurance dude's perspective.

The end of the article.
"State legislatures could mandate it, but the state government can't require private insurers to offer it," says McChristian. "And there's no evidence to suggest that insurers would cover gun owners for illegal acts of violence."

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal...be-mandatory-for-gun-owners/?intcmp=us_topics
Huh? Government can mandate that we must buy health insurance, that they provide certain types of insurance coverage. What makes Mr. McChristian think that his insurance company would not be mandated to provide gun liability insurance.

jackrockblc

I'm of the mind that it should be available (and there are many options out there) for legal defense insurance. I don't think it should be required that they provide insurance for defense in illegal acts.

However, I don't believe it should be mandatory for all gun owners. I think it's a good idea, but mandating it is a different issue, entirely.

DocWalker

If it is then people should have to carry insurance for their first admendment right also. Just incase they say something offensive they will have insurance to cover it.

Stupid as they shouldn't be able to require you to buy insurance for your freedom....wait that would be communisim aka obama care.

notalawyer

What makes Mr. McChristian think that his insurance company would not be mandated to provide gun liability insurance.
They can't. They can however be barred from selling any insurance in the sate if they do not agree to sell every type the state requires.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The insurance industry LIVES on statistics.

I don't think the powers that be actually want to look at the statistics on firearms ownership, do they? They might have to start acknowledging them.

And wouldn't the cities be forced to insure their cops? Could they afford their obviously higher rates? Oh wait, I'm sure there will be a no-reason-required automatic exemption for them.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Insurance is coverage for accidents - those things that you have no control over (except that pesky "acts of God" clause).

Shooting somebody is not an accident - at least I hope it would not be. I hope you shoot someone because you meant to and because you thought you had every reasonable right to protect yourself by the use of deadly force.

If your gun has a true AD then everybody sues the manufacturer because it was their fault.

If you have a NG that's not an accident. Again. nobody will write insurance against purposefull actions.

Why the antis and their bought-and-paid-for legislators do not seem to understand this is beyond me. (No, really it isn't. It's because they are certifiably crazy.)

stay safe.

conandan

Mandating insurance for gun owners is just a back door way to get a registry going. Think about all the info you have to provide to insure anything. And as said above no one should need insurance to exercise your rights.

Redbaron007

If it's accidental, then your homeowners policy provides relief, or at least a defense.

If it's intentional, but not criminal, then the HO may or may not provide relief (defense and wrongful death) for a civil matter, not criminal (no defense). Subsequently, if it is intentional and criminal, then there is no insurance in the world to help.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

Mandatory no. However having an umbrella policy to cover civil actions brought on from the use of ones firearm is a good idea and a smart business play. If someone brings a wrongful death claim against one of us, even if we prevail, the expense is for lack of a better word very expensive.

Best regards

CCJ

Baked on Grease

Should Insurance be Mandatory for _______?

no
Exactly... they've set the groundwork for mindsets like: "Should Life Insurance be mandatory for pedestrians?"

"Should Risk Insurance be mandatory for anyone doing anything that some bureaucrat deems to be less safe than walking down the road?"

It's always a slippery road and once on the road the gov't will force themselves to the end goal of that road to the point of: "ridiculi infinitum"

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
If you do not maintain continual coverage they will come and take you guns away.

Read bills already proposed in various states.