Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: NRA commentator claims blind people should be allowed to buy and use guns because...

  1. #1
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,269

    NRA commentator claims blind people should be allowed to buy and use guns because...

    NRA commentator claims blind people should be able to buy and use guns

    Dom Rasco argues blind's other senses, such as hearing, are improved

    Video posted on the NRA's website met with disbelief by safety campaigners

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...roundings.html
    Some how...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt2EXWzMV18
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  2. #2
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    There may be some .... misconceptions... in how we 'see' blindness.


    The United States Congress says that if a person still sees 20/200 vision, or worse, after glasses and/or contacts, then they are legally blind. It also states that if someone has only 20 degrees of peripheral vision, or less, they are also considered legally blind.

    So what does the world look like to someone legally blind?




    As you can see, someone who is barely legally blind, as depicted above, is not even close to being totally blind.

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    I see England.

    I see France.

    I see lowdown dirty rants.

    *********************

    The video has been met with disbelief from anti-gun campaigners and activists on social media.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...roundings.html
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-06-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Nothing wrong with 1000% blind people from owning and possessing guns.

    Sorry antis, they have the same rights everyone else does.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Nothing wrong with 1000% blind people from owning and possessing guns.

    Sorry antis, they have the same rights everyone else does.
    Quick! Somebody look out the window. I agree wioth davidmcbeth.

    Actually, it really is a no-brainer. The ability to exercise an individual right is not dependent on the absence of a physical disability. The privilege of driving an automobile may be limited by the state. Two completely different issues.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  6. #6
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Nothing wrong with 1000% blind people from owning and possessing guns.

    Sorry antis, they have the same rights everyone else does.
    This is the only answer that matters
    Advocate freedom please

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    "Blind" people have to decide at the moment for the circumstances whether they are justified in firing, just like we do.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  8. #8
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    "Blind" people have to decide at the moment for the circumstances whether they are justified in firing, just like we do.
    It seems these antis are the "foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not"; should a frail old woman be denied self protection because she "might be unable to handle the recoil"? Should a disable man be denied because he "may have the gun taken and used against him?

    The antis generally seem to call themselves "progressive" and espouse the equality of all, regardless of disability, but it is because of things like this that anyone open to reason can see they're hypocrites when it comes down to practicing what they preach.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northglenn, Colorado
    Posts
    243
    In truth the restrictions on short barreled shot guns is discriminatory against blind people, because to defend themselves if totally blind they will be firing toward sound, and the extra spread increases their chance of a hit and succseful defense. The way it is now they are unlikely to go thru the hassle to get one, but its most suited to their situation and needs, in the home certainly. Outside the home a single projectile weapon would still be preferable to avoid stray shots, its likely they would want something they can fire at close range if accosted.

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxxon View Post
    In truth the restrictions on short barreled shot guns is discriminatory against blind people, because to defend themselves if totally blind they will be firing toward sound, and the extra spread increases their chance of a hit and succseful defense. The way it is now they are unlikely to go thru the hassle to get one, but its most suited to their situation and needs, in the home certainly. Outside the home a single projectile weapon would still be preferable to avoid stray shots, its likely they would want something they can fire at close range if accosted.
    The pattern isn't exactly as some people might imagine.

    http://410handguns.com/410fist_test.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    It seems these antis are the "foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not"; should a frail old woman be denied self protection because she "might be unable to handle the recoil"? Should a disable man be denied because he "may have the gun taken and used against him?

    The antis generally seem to call themselves "progressive" and espouse the equality of all, regardless of disability, but it is because of things like this that anyone open to reason can see they're hypocrites when it comes down to practicing what they preach.
    Heck they allow people with no brain function to vote (ie democrats), right?

  12. #12
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Heck they allow people with no brain function to vote (ie democrats), right?
    You forgot the dead in Chicago that can vote multiple times in each election!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  13. #13
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,271
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Nothing wrong with 1000% blind people from owning and possessing guns.

    Sorry antis, they have the same rights everyone else does.
    Completely agree, being blind does not make a person a criminal or mean they will kill. In fact I have heard of no cases where blind people have committed violent crimes. I am sure there are some, but apparently they are very few.

    The antis just want to make excuses to take rights away.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,011
    I guess blind folks will just have to skip the "identify your target" step in a shooting situation.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,148
    Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    I guess blind folks will just have to skip the "identify your target" step in a shooting situation.
    Prejudicial bigotry.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    I guess blind folks will just have to skip the "identify your target" step in a shooting situation.
    Does that mean I'm not allowed to engage someone attacking me while wearing a ski mask?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,148
    Night-shooting inappropriate with less than 3.14 lumens.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  18. #18
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,269
    Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    I guess blind folks will just have to skip the "identify your target" step in a shooting situation.
    Well...there seems to be at least one major metropolitan PD that skips the "identify your target" step.

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/25...olice-gunfire/
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  19. #19
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Does that mean I'm not allowed to engage someone attacking me while wearing a ski mask?
    Dangling participle phrase......who is wearing the ski mask?

    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •