• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Since 5 passed, here is a question for you

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Some debate regarding 5 exist, even some educated types have indicated that it could get interpreted that 5 just made MO a constitutional carry state. Don't strap up and head down to the arch demanding your rights yet, editorial comments are not legal advice but they can pose some interesting questions that is for sure.

Thought we could start with one.

If it did then CCW without a permit is legal, would you OC if CCW was a true freedom option?

Since I tend to do both now, I offer I would continue to do both and would likely maintain some permit for the out of state situations where the permit is recognized etc.

I am going to get a lawyers opinion on the OC portion of the equation. I also may indeed be a test case for it followed by a huge civil suit as well. It will depend upon the professional opinion.

kcgunfan

Check out my post on the amendment 5 topic where I line out out. Too much typing ;-). It's going to be interesting, that's for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Redbaron007

My initial thoughts are pretty close to what KC posted in the other thread.

My gut reaction is OC will eventually become preemptive. CCW will remain a permit.

In a nut shell......Since OC is already a freedom (only restricted by muni's), I expect the courts/AG to rule the local muni's will not be able to restrict OCing.

CCW, since it is already a permit basis, it will remain. I know the language was removed from the Article 23; but it doesn't immediately mean there is Constitutional CCW. This is an area I think it will take some court cases to clarify. Could it end up being Constitutional?...sure.

But for the immediate future...these are my thoughts. I would rather have Constitutional Carry for both.

logunowner

After spending most of the day yesterday reading every article I could find on Amendment 5, I was left with the opinion that due to the strong legal wording used in the Amendment 5 Missouri is headed to be a constitutional carry state once all the dust settles. Of course, only time will tell!!

OC for ME

I suspect the 571.107 will be subject to strict scrutiny by cop shops throughout the state. It is their last chance to infringe upon our right. Constitutional carry?
Right to keep and bear arms--exception.

Section 23. That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms, ammunition, and accessories typical to the normal function of such arms, in defense of his home, person, family and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power. The rights...
Sure seems like it. But, we need to push our politicians to get the AG to give us his opinion.

Dotson...anti-liberty. Nothing but another liberal with a badge and a gun. His cop's safety is far more important than the oath he took to defend the constitution. I suspect that he would get along just fine with that NJ reserve cop.

OC for ME

I suspect the 571.107 will be subject to strict scrutiny by cop shops throughout the state. It is their last chance to infringe upon our right. Constitutional carry?Sure seems like it. But, we need to push our politicians to get the AG to give us his opinion.

Dotson...anti-liberty. Nothing but another liberal with a badge and a gun. His cop's safety is far more important than the oath he took to defend the constitution. I suspect that he would get along just fine with that NJ reserve cop.
Another thought...is a veto override of SB656 meaningless at this point.

Redbaron007

Another thought...is a veto override of SB656 meaningless at this point.

At first I thought it would be a good idea; especially since the legal waters are murky on the interpretation....meaning until I think some AG opinions or legal precedence is set for preemptive OC.

Now, I'm not too sure. Part of me says OC should be preemptive, now! However, the other part says, it may not hurt to have it until the courts reconcile A5 and OC.

Meaningless, at this stage of the game, I don't think so.

kcgunfan

I would like to remind everyone that SB656 contains a lot more legislation than the CCW preemption.

Redbaron007

I would like to remind everyone that SB656 contains a lot more legislation than the CCW preemption.

But if they find SB656 in violation of A5; isn't all of it thrown out?

Scratch what I said above. The other provision in SB656 are itemized into separate codes.

Very true KC.......especially the physician verbiage. So SB656 should be passed in the special session.

OC for ME

Sure does...do the politicians know this?

The focus is on carry, right now due to Amendment 5, and the other provisions may not be important enough to some politicians for them to vote to override the veto. We need to keep the pressure on the politicians to be sure that a override is accomplished.

kcgunfan

I can't see the CCW preemption being tossed out because of A5. While that is not our ultimate objective, it is better than what we have today. It would not make sense for the court to find that clause violating A5, and the rest of the statute to be valid, which would make no logical sense. They would have to find basically that entire section to violate A5.

But if they find SB656 in violation of A5; isn't all of it thrown out?

Scratch what I said above. The other provision in SB656 are itemized into separate codes.

Very true KC.......especially the physician verbiage. So SB656 should be passed in the special session.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
In MO if it is not listed as illegal it is indeed legal.

If a law is in conflict with the constitution it is invalid.

It is going to be interesting, but I have a hard time seeing the lawyering path they will have to take to keep restrictions on the books.

Poor thing about the system though, legislating from the bench happens.

Redbaron007

I can't see the CCW preemption being tossed out because of A5. While that is not our ultimate objective, it is better than what we have today. It would not make sense for the court to find that clause violating A5, and the rest of the statute to be valid, which would make no logical sense. They would have to find basically that entire section to violate A5.

When I re-reviewed SB656, I saw where all the different areas were listed; so, IIRC, if they found one portion unconstitutional, then it wouldn't affect the other portions.

Last edited:

kcgunfan

It takes effect when the SoS certifies the election. As far as the AG goes, don't hold your breath...

REALteach4u

Some debate regarding 5 exist, even some educated types have indicated that it could get interpreted that 5 just made MO a constitutional carry state. Don't strap up and head down to the arch demanding your rights yet, editorial comments are not legal advice but they can pose some interesting questions that is for sure.

Thought we could start with one.

If it did then CCW without a permit is legal, would you OC if CCW was a true freedom option?

Since I tend to do both now, I offer I would continue to do both and would likely maintain some permit for the out of state situations where the permit is recognized etc.

I am going to get a lawyers opinion on the OC portion of the equation. I also may indeed be a test case for it followed by a huge civil suit as well. It will depend upon the professional opinion.

You and I haven't had a good debate in some time LMTD. The problem is it changes the Constitution and the Constitution only. That means that the current laws will remain on the books as the Amendment would not address that....at least not yet. It's going to take a couple of things, so start hitting up those politicians when the session gets going.

First, the legislature needs to do away with that dreaded OC denial law that so many municipalities have taken advantage of the past few years. That law was unconstitutional when it was made law in the first place because CCW was illegal. It gave the power to completely deny 2A. Now, with CCW on the books it gives them the power to force you to be taxed to exercise 2A if you want to be shielded with CCW as an option in anti-OC areas.

Second, we cannot do away with CCW completely. Arizona got it right by allowing the permit to stay in place for those who wish to have it for out of state carry purposes. This is an absolute must, but the doggone restrictions need to go away and businesses being able to post needs to go away or they need to eat the liability for such a posting IF something were to happen due to their open invitation of crime.

If these changes do not occur just with Amendment 5, it's likely going to take someone being arrested, beating it in court, and/or filing a lawsuit to achieve those changes.

An amplifier is that we cannot just have a bunch of folks going out to get guns and not having some sort of training or experience with firearms. As an instructor I support training, just not state-mandated training. The catch-22 is that many people will not get the training unless they're forced to. It's like having no experience riding a motorcycle and buying a ZX1400 Ninja thinking "you can handle it", you're a hazard to yourself and those around you. This is the problem area.

OC just draws odd attention because the public is still convinced that criminals will carry openly, like that's their only option as criminals. Sheesh!
I cued up WM's LP staff over the weekend and it's a store where I've been a witness for LP multiple times.

logunowner

"First, the legislature needs to do away with that dreaded OC denial law that so many municipalities have taken advantage of the past few years. That law was unconstitutional when it was made law in the first place because CCW was illegal. It gave the power to completely deny 2A. Now, with CCW on the books it gives them the power to force you to be taxed to exercise 2A if you want to be shielded with CCW as an option in anti-OC areas."

The legislature and the voters did this with the passage of Amendment 5....:)

Jaysann22

My initial thoughts are pretty close to what KC posted in the other thread.

My gut reaction is OC will eventually become preemptive. CCW will remain a permit.

In a nut shell......Since OC is already a freedom (only restricted by muni's), I expect the courts/AG to rule the local muni's will not be able to restrict OCing.

CCW, since it is already a permit basis, it will remain. I know the language was removed from the Article 23; but it doesn't immediately mean there is Constitutional CCW. This is an area I think it will take some court cases to clarify. Could it end up being Constitutional?...sure.

But for the immediate future...these are my thoughts. I would rather have Constitutional Carry for both.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and reply! I have really been looking for someone's solid opinion on A5 that has really been following its progress and has thoroughly researched it.

Again, thank you my brother. I completely agree with much of what you've said here.