• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lakewood Open Carry, Experiences?

DanNabis

Hi All.

I'm out in Colorado now, and unfortunately my roommates are gun fearing liberals who trust the flimsy front door to protect them, and they seem to think that legal guns are more likely to kill them than a criminal.

They even tried at first to have a 'resolution' of how to react in emergencies such as break in.
I responded that the emergency situations possible vary too greatly to have a one size fits all response. someone call 911 if you can and use situational awareness and your judgement.

Anyhow, so that has cut down on my carrying, since they sigh and whine when they see me wearing my securely holstered sidearm, which I'd like to do pretty much constantly as I had in my home before.

So I'm about two blocks from Denver county now,
I've read here that Lakewood LEO are allegedly well versed in OC laws, (on day one, an LE car slowed but didn't stop when they drove by me OCing and loading my gear in to the house.)

Are there any known OC friendly stores and places and such?
I have yet to see anyone else here Open Carry.

I'd like to get in to the habit of going about my business while OCing.
I guess I'm nervous about how I will be treated when I enter a place that is unbeknownst to me, Anti-safety/Anti-freedom/Anti-OC..

I'd be interested in talking to some locals who like to OC.
Anyone had any good experiences?
Bad experiences?

Advice? Do I just go out and shop and do normal things?

It seems like I should be able to stay out of Denver and just do my thing while OCing.
Is that what it's like?

jackrockblc

I live in Lakewood, and have OC'd for the last several months. I even met a uniformed police officer without incident. We talked about the nice weather, my dogs (that I was walking at the time), and other small talk. She noticed my gun - SA and all that - but never mentioned it or even went to a defensive/reactionary posture. This was in an apartment complex in the Union & 6th region.

I can't say about other officers, but that one went exactly as it should have. I also have OC'd around town without much fanfare - in fact, the most I got was from another OCer in my same building, and he asked me what I was carrying.

DanNabis

That's a reassuring response.

Have you been in to any stores OCing?

I'm waffling on whether to visit the King Sooper at Wadsworth and Jewell while OCing.

jackrockblc

That's a reassuring response.

Have you been in to any stores OCing?

I'm waffling on whether to visit the King Sooper at Wadsworth and Jewell while OCing.

You're a couple of miles south of me, so I don't know. I honestly have not tried to walk into a KS with my gun - either because I haven't had the need, or because I was coming from a place that was gun un-friendly and didn't have it on me. Gas stations around here have turned some heads, and everybody went back to doing what they were doing. A few restaurants and stores have produced no "bad" results, though I think I scared one person at a Pizza Hut. I was there to pick up a few pizzas, and the lady who took my payment had somebody else bring up the food while she hid in the back. Could be coincidence that she had something to do, I suppose. Either way, nobody said anything to me, and I made no effort to either hide my gun or shove it in anybody's face.

I'm sorry I don't have more to say on the matter. I'm relatively new to gun ownership, and handguns in general (only did rifles and MGs in the Army), so my experience around here is limited but growing. Sadly, I'll probably do more conceal carrying when school starts and I get my CHP, since they're not allowed on college grounds in OC mode. Dammit.

lukaszu

my lakewood exp

Hi All.

I'm out in Colorado now, and unfortunately my roommates are gun fearing liberals who trust the flimsy front door to protect them, and they seem to think that legal guns are more likely to kill them than a criminal.

They even tried at first to have a 'resolution' of how to react in emergencies such as break in.
I responded that the emergency situations possible vary too greatly to have a one size fits all response. someone call 911 if you can and use situational awareness and your judgement.

Anyhow, so that has cut down on my carrying, since they sigh and whine when they see me wearing my securely holstered sidearm, which I'd like to do pretty much constantly as I had in my home before.

So I'm about two blocks from Denver county now,
I've read here that Lakewood LEO are allegedly well versed in OC laws, (on day one, an LE car slowed but didn't stop when they drove by me OCing and loading my gear in to the house.)

Are there any known OC friendly stores and places and such?
I have yet to see anyone else here Open Carry.

I'd like to get in to the habit of going about my business while OCing.
I guess I'm nervous about how I will be treated when I enter a place that is unbeknownst to me, Anti-safety/Anti-freedom/Anti-OC..

I'd be interested in talking to some locals who like to OC.
Anyone had any good experiences?
Bad experiences?

Advice? Do I just go out and shop and do normal things?

It seems like I should be able to stay out of Denver and just do my thing while OCing.
Is that what it's like?

My opinion... LPD is a great dept. I live in Adams county but do some shopping in Lakewood.
My only encounter while oc was a head nod and a exchange of greetings.
In my current job I meet a lot of LPD officers and all but one had the answer I was looking for. The other started to lecture me how OC could make u a target.
Not to say that you want have a bad stop but haven't heard of anyone that did.
Also I think someone while back posted a letter from LPD about his open carry question. If u can find it ...it's a very straight to the point letter.

DanNabis

Success!

They treated me nicely at King Soopers on Wadsworth and Jewell, but I was only making a return and soon left.

I was also treated excellently at Natural Grocers and the adjacent liquor store on Wadsworth across the road from Treads bike shop.

Everyone was calm and friendly and nothing happened. That's the way it should be.

I mean, anyhow, why panic if someone's not attacking you?

Getting my chops up. Been studying the map of Denver County so I can steer clear unless disarmed.

I love this place. I wish Denver would come around to being reasonable.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Don't get up to Lakewood much (it's been when I have to go to the Regional VA Office nearby, or, to the main DMV office also not too far away) -- but have been to the Denny's there (565 Union) twice while OC-ing.

We may choose this Denny's for one of our OC events in the future...but for now (the next 2 months), our OC events in the Denver area are already scheduled: One in Broomfield (August) and Ken Caryl/Littleton (September).

So maybe later on we'll have one in Lakewood...

Last edited:

jackrockblc

I wanted to provide some more experience for the OP, as well as relate my experience today - cuz I was laughing my ass off for a while.

It started with a trip to MSU. Sadly, I was disarmed since I don't yet have my CHP, and the school is within Denver boundaries. But after that, my wife and I went to a shooting range. The goal was to see if she can determine which firearm to pick for her first (spoiler alert: she hasn't made a decision yet).

But afterwards, we went to the Sherpa House in Golden. Wife is freaking out that I chose not to disarm, asking if it's allowed on private property. I told her that it's up to the property owners, but there's no blanket rule anywhere in CO (Denver notwithstanding). Walking in, we were the 2nd customers of the day, since it just opened. But right after that, a Colorado School of Mines police officer showed up with a friend. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw that he took notice of my firearm (it was facing right at him) and they continued on to their table. No fuss, no comments. Not even a glance after that.

The whole time, though, my wife was nervous as hell. I kept telling her to calm down, and that we aren't doing anything illegal. Not to mention she and the officer had met some months ago (she used to work for the POST academy at Red Rocks), and he recognized her. But the whole time she was just nervous that the police officer was going to suddenly leap over the railing, body slam me to the ground, handcuff me seven ways to Sunday, and jam a .45 muzzle into my ear. Though the man looked definitely strong and fit enough to do all of that...none of it happened. We ate, paid, left. And MAYBE three other people other than the cop noticed the pistol.

She'll learn. Cuz it's gonna keep on keepin' on.

Lokster

.....We may choose this Denny's for one of our OC events in the future...but for now (the next 2 months), our OC events in the Denver area are already scheduled: One in Broomfield (August) and Ken Caryl/Littleton (September).

So maybe later on we'll have one in Lakewood...

What are the details for the September meet up?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Lokster,

To explain to you AND other readers here how our "OC Get-Together Events" are scheduled (and why):

COS/DEN-area OC Events are posted over in the Colorado state-sub-forum area, and the top in the Colorado area entitled Colorado Events. That will be where you will find the details of all upcoming events for the COS-DEN area (that's quite a lot of territory). Also, I usually wait until the month starts before posting events for that month, so the upcoming September 8th event will be posted shortly over there.

For September, there will be 2 OC Events scheduled: 1 in the DEN area and 1 in the COS area...

Lately, to make it easier on Yours Truly (your OC Event host), the Denver area OC Events were moved to weekdays (not weekends as I do in the COS/Monument/Castle Rock/Parker areas) because it's become a bit too far to drive for me ONLY for an OC Event and I'm leasing (!) my car (leases have a mileage cap), so I try to "kill 2 birds with one stone" if you will: I schedule the DEN area OC Events (not IN DEN, of course, as we can't OC there, so it's locations AROUND DEN) when I am already up there for business (at the VA Medical Center/Denver). I didn't want to waste the opportunity to HAVE an OC event up there even though it' s a weekday vs. a weekend (the VA isn't open on weekends so I wouldn't be up there on a Sat/Sun as I prefer for OC Events). So since there are lots of CC-ers in Denver who may want to attend -- and we OC-ers SHOULD be trying to reach CC-ers with these events also (another one of my goals with these events) -- not to mention the OC-ers in the cities/suburbs AROUND Denver, I decided that even though it's a weekday (afternoon) when most people are working, it'll have to do as it's then or no event at all. Maybe SOMEONE can make it. I know *I* will! ;-)

Yes, I WAS making special trips up to the DEN area (like the event we had in Golden for example) only for an OC Event (so we had them on a Sunday afternoon), but can't be doing all those trips as it's too many miles on my car (don't want to pay a penalty for excessive miles at the end of the lease).

But you know, all along ONE of my goals with these OC events is to meet & get someone local (meaning the DEN area) to host events, as they live in that area. That way, we could have them on weekends, like I do "down here" in the COS area (on a monthly basis, BTW) -- because I live in COS. Monument/Castle Rock/Parker are not so far away I can't make it JUST for an OC Event, so those locales are included in my "COS area" description. The DEN area -- especially Golden/Littleton/Lakewood/Thornton/Broomfield/Westminster and so on are too far for me presently (for hosting weekend OC Events).

So far, though, it's just me hosting event and I'm already driving all over the COS/DEN areas doing so...a bit much for one person on a regular basis. Even when I am up in the DEN area, it can be a bit of driving, like I did for our very recent OC Event @ Village Inn/Broomfield (120th Ave.) this past Tuesday (8-26-14), when I was in DEN (for a morning app't @ the VAMC).

Whatever, all that said, Lokster, you asked about the details for the Event 9-8-14 (and as mentioned, to be posted in the "Events" area shortly):

IHOP @ Ken Caryl
12634 W Indore Pl, Littleton, CO
September 8, 2014
@ 3:00pm

[EDITED 9-4-14: Time changed from 3:00pm to 5:30pm, due to scheduling conflict]

...this IHOP is across the street (W. Ken Caryl Ave.) from the Village Inn (where we will have another Ken Caryl OC Event in the future).

If an event is not in your particular neighborhood, try to make it anyway. I try to make it more convenient for attendees (OC-ers AND CC-ers alike -- and any "newbies") by scheduling events in their areas or very close to them, but at the same time, they should also make an effort on their part, even though it means driving a few more miles "out of their way."

Most of these OC Events are definitely "out of my way" too, but I still attend.

Okay...I HAVE to attend: I'm the Host! ;-)

But I DO think these events are important, also.

Haven't missed one yet...

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
A friend of mine lives in Lakewood. I went to see him a four years ago and was surprised at his reaction.

Despite the fact that he knew I was retired military, that I both OC and CC, he invited me up for the weekend, and then responded with serious concern after I walked in wearing my firearm. After about twenty minutes, he held a powow with those who would be staying overnight: me, his roommate, his other guest, and my friend who doesn't carry but respects it.

Apparently, I'd offended him and he wanted me to apologize. I said I'll never apologize for exercising basic human rights, but if he's uncomfortable with it, I could always leave. He said that's not necessary, but said he would appreciate it if I would put it in my truck, parked on the street in front of his house. I said, "Where any criminal breaking in to my truck could get it? No way - that's foolish." We compromised by locking it in my carry bag.

Is there something about Lakewood I'm unaware? Something in the water, perhaps?

Regardless, he was absolutely mortified when we went to get steaks and food that evening and I stepped out of my truck wearing my firearm. I said, "Come on! This will be fun!" and proceeded to walk through the isles of the grocery store without incident or anyone giving it more than a passing glance.

I think I'd have caused more of a stir had I entered with bare feet.

jackrockblc

Regardless, he was absolutely mortified when we went to get steaks and food that evening and I stepped out of my truck wearing my firearm. I said, "Come on! This will be fun!" and proceeded to walk through the isles of the grocery store without incident or anyone giving it more than a passing glance.

My wife freaked out the first two times I OC'd in Golden and Lakewood. After that, and seeing that the cop sitting next to us had ZERO reaction (except for merely noting it was there), she calmed down considerably. After that, I've open carried a few times and she found it to be business as usual.

In some cases, people are just so used to never seeing it open, that they figure it must be illegal. As of this week, I finally have my CHP, but still choose to OC in many areas. I don't do it for any grandstanding or statement - sometimes (about half the time, actually), it just makes more sense for me to OC - like when walking my dogs and one hand is taken up by the leashes. But my OCing around my residence has started others in the area to do the same.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
since9 & jackrockblc ,

This is a BIG reason FOR people OC-ing vs. CC-ing: D & E (Desensitizing & Educating), as ONLY OC-ers can accomplish this, not CC-ers.

Even though CC-ers outnumber OC-ers by a HUGE margin, they do absolutely nothing re: D & E since as per definition of CC, the public doesn't SEE their guns. Additionally, no conversations re: carrying a gun for self-defense can ever take place, either. But they often do when people OC.

It has long been my view that we need LOTS MORE guns "out there on the streets" so the general (& clueless) public gets more used to seeing them. And yet contrary to many of their erroneous expectations re: people carrying guns -- nothing bad happens!

This is one reason I invite CC-ers to OC Events: To explain why OC-ers OC (as most CC-ers just believe the ignorant anti-OC hype) AND to convince them to OC at least occasionally.

...glad to see you 2 guys out there dispensing some D & E to the general public. Friends included. ;-)

Last edited:

jackrockblc

...glad to see you 2 guys out there dispensing some D & E to the general public. Friends included. ;-)

Thanks. I don't do it exclusively (for practical and legal reasons), but I do when/where I can. I still get looks of incredulity from neighbors who see me for the first time when carrying. Just the other day, a group of about four or five girls were in pure shock that I had a gun. I was a bit annoyed that they showed clear fear, but I had no time to speak with them.

since9

Campaign Veteran
As of this week, I finally have my CHP, but still choose to OC in many areas. I don't do it for any grandstanding or statement - sometimes (about half the time, actually), it just makes more sense for me to OC - like when walking my dogs and one hand is taken up by the leashes. But my OCing around my residence has started others in the area to do the same.

Same here. While there are indeed other reasons (see below), I choose to OC for just two reasons: Deterrence and rapidity of response.

This is a BIG reason FOR people OC-ing vs. CC-ing: D & E (Desensitizing & Educating), as ONLY OC-ers can accomplish this, not CC-ers.

I am also acutely aware of a third and fourth response: Alarming and aggravating. A member of my family is a typical liberal. She said just last night, actually bragging about it, "Yeah, I can't do any of that math stuff. When I see numbers, my brain just goes *POOF*." That explains why she can't follow basic economic principles, but it doesn't explain why she hates firearms. She grew up around firearms. She didn't develop any sort of aversion to them until she went to a liberal arts college and spent four years hanging around ultra-leftees. Now she gets visibly upset at the sight of a firearm, and aggravated by any discussion whatsoever.

She's not alone. Most members of the civilian populace who've swallowed Bloomberg's lies are much the same.

Instead of further aggravating, her, perhaps leading to an explosion, severe tension in the family, etc., I simply CC when I'm around her. Problem solved.

Doesn't mean I pussyfoot around here, though. When I arrived at the dinner party last night I was OCing. Didn't know she was going to be there! So, I switched to CC before her hoplophobia kicked in. :)

The CC community has a point: If everyone who carried simply CC'd, there would be little flack in the media. I don't like CC, however, nor should be forced to. If I choose to do so, that's my choice, and in certain venues, such as family gatherings where she's present, I CC. When he's not present, none of the others care, so I OC.

I my mind, blood is thicker than steel.

It has long been my view that we need LOTS MORE guns "out there on the streets" so the general (& clueless) public gets more used to seeing them. And yet contrary to many of their erroneous expectations re: people carrying guns -- nothing bad happens!

Despite my previous statements on OC vs CC, I agree with both of your points here, Cloudcroft! I wish we had a justice system with the guts to see the 2nd Amendment's "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" for what it is. If they and legislators had left it alone, the general public would indeed be far less sensitized that they are today, as firearms would have been as ubiquitous today as they were 100 years ago.

Disarmament is a socialist tactic, and the followers of Karl Marx have been quite good over the last 100+ years convincing governments to deny their citizens their right to keep and bear arms. One of the best sources of information as to how this permeated our society throughout the 20th Century is provided in the movie Agenda. It's far more clear-cut than 2016.

This is one reason I invite CC-ers to OC Events: To explain why OC-ers OC (as most CC-ers just believe the ignorant anti-OC hype) AND to convince them to OC at least occasionally.

Having spoken with many OCers at length, I've concluded that most of them are more interested in the D & RR while avoiding the A & A than they are in D & E. While D & E is indeed your passion, you might have better luck selling them on OCing if you manage to convince them of the D & RR advantages. :)

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
"...you might have better luck selling them on OCing if you manage to convince them of the D & RR advantages.." -- since9

I think I'll leave those arguments for others as the more of us speaking to CC-ers re: OCing the better -- for whatever reasons it would be to their advantage (if one MUST appeal to their "what's in it for me" vein vs. "what's best for ALL of us"). Besides, I am a court-recognized expert witness (thanks here to Perry Mason) ONLY on the subject & practice of D&E, not the others. ;-)

Also remember I didn't say it was my 2 MAIN reasons for OC-ing, just 2 of the most important ones (and I tend to think of others, not just me/my needs). Of course, one's MAIN reason for carrying (however you do it) is self-preservation (for most people, that is, not for me though -- but I digress) -- AKA: Self-Defense. D&E is for "spectators" if you will (the OC-er already KNOWS this stuff)...and for THEIR benefit. If it also deters criminals, fine, but I don't AT ALL expect that.

But really, I guess it's my "passion" mostly because that's what we do on my home planet (that's how I got that hidden-camera pic of Dudley in that other thread: When the Jupiter II visited us), so when I came here to Earth, I could see the need for some serious evangelizing/proselyting. Where I'm from EVERYONE carries...but we're a more homogeneous society there -- everyone carrying HERE (even CC-ing) is not likely. Ever. So much for "diversity."

Anyway, I still endeavor to persevere...at least presently. ;-)

Later...off to Castle Rock now!

Last edited:

Keens

Hey folks,

Been a while since I've been on this here forum. Still around, still OC as usual :). No problems in Lakewood at all since I now live close to there. Usually OC my XDM 5.25" .40 in a Serpa, sometimes a LC9 IWB. A few looks here and there, but most folks don't notice or don't care. I got a hello and chatted with a guy who was OCing at the Walmart on 32nd and Youngfield about 2 months ago, he was OC an SD40VE, nice gentleman who just moved here from AZ and new to OC, we chatted for about 20 mins and I told him about this forum. Other than that, it's uneventful. Have had plenty of the cities finest see me and they didn't fret it. Even one Sat morning at The Gun Room, I went in to browse and see what they had, and there were about a half dozen LPD officers there with two young guys in handcuffs. Got a approval look from one of the officers when I walked in. Just did my usual browsing, even came within 2-3 feet of the officers since something in the case fancied me eye! They didn't even fret it! Turns out of of the young lads was arrested for using his fathers ID to try to make a purchase and looks like they let the other young feller go. Even got to watch them frisk him! I believe they like an armed responsible citizen from the approval looks I got from them and plus the guys at the shop were armed too, they liked us keeping an eye on them and they knew we would back them up.

Keep posted on the local M&G's! I will make the weekend ones!

Blessings,

Keens