• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEOs, gear question

wimwag

For the LEOS, I watch COPS and youtube videos of LEOs chasing people on foot all the time (makes me laugh) and I see one recurring theme...officers being unable to catch slow running perps because they carry way too much crap. And the one fat cop that runs like a wounded ostrich and only carries what fits on his belt will run down even the fastest crooks.

How much of what you carry on the job gets carried off the job? Have you ever had a WTF moment when you realized that you carry too much **** around? What's in those black square nylon bags?

Just curious. Not looking for a confrontation. As a hunter, it just strikes me as odd that some people carry that much stuff.

SFCRetired

Thanks for reminding me of one of the funniest things I have ever seen involving a cop. I had a friend who was a police officer. Short, rotund, and weighted down with umpteen pounds of gear. Feature this man running down the middle of the street, holding his equipment belt, and watching a tall, athletic, young man fade into the distance.

He did not appreciate me standing just outside the store where I worked, laughing my a$$ off at him. He also did not appreciate me stopping him from harassing two of my customers who were also observing his Keystone Kops episode.

I've asked the same question you asked in your post. I've never gotten a coherent answer, other than, "It's necessary."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Not a LEO, but I can throw out some insight.

LEOs carry load is pretty much dictated by department policy - down to not only what is carried but where it is carried. (Knew one SO that wrote its policy for right-handers and tried to suspend a lefty who pretty much reversed everything o her belt.) Dept. A may issue only one set of cuffs while Dept. B mandates two sets.

Those square pouches probably contain a pair or three of latex/nitrile gloves and a CPR mask.

Cops carry all sorts of battle-rattle because one time one cop needed something and didn't have it and somebody got hurt. There may never be another time when X is absolutely/positively needed, but if the department got sued once for not equipping their personnel with X you can be sure that will be the #1 item on the checklist.

Cops also carry all sorts of stuff so that they can work their way through "the continuum of force" thatwe mere mortals do not have to deal with in front of a jury. (When was the last time a non-cop was sued for using excessive force in violation of the 8th amendment or the Civil Rights Act?)

A better question (although for a variety of reasons I doubt you will get an honest answer from any LEO) is "what do you carry that is non-standard issue?" (Pry/breacher bars, folding knives, multi-tools, bump keys for houses and cars, and even "blow-out kits" have been found on cops even though none of those items were issued to them.:shocker:)

stay safe.

NosePicker

Police rarely run after suspects. Its too much work.

Police don't get paid to catch criminals.

Besides, police don't like to risk their lives to protect and serve so its just better to set up a containment and call in 200 other officers and a helicopter (drone) and sit back and waste tax payer money.

The last thing we want is a hero to get injured or put in some effort.

sheepdog

Not a LEO, but I can throw out some insight.

LEOs carry load is pretty much dictated by department policy - down to not only what is carried but where it is carried. (Knew one SO that wrote its policy for right-handers and tried to suspend a lefty who pretty much reversed everything o her belt.) Dept. A may issue only one set of cuffs while Dept. B mandates two sets.

Those square pouches probably contain a pair or three of latex/nitrile gloves and a CPR mask.

Cops carry all sorts of battle-rattle because one time one cop needed something and didn't have it and somebody got hurt. There may never be another time when X is absolutely/positively needed, but if the department got sued once for not equipping their personnel with X you can be sure that will be the #1 item on the checklist.

Cops also carry all sorts of stuff so that they can work their way through "the continuum of force" thatwe mere mortals do not have to deal with in front of a jury. (When was the last time a non-cop was sued for using excessive force in violation of the 8th amendment or the Civil Rights Act?)

A better question (although for a variety of reasons I doubt you will get an honest answer from any LEO) is "what do you carry that is non-standard issue?" (Pry/breacher bars, folding knives, multi-tools, bump keys for houses and cars, and even "blow-out kits" have been found on cops even though none of those items were issued to them.:shocker:)

stay safe.

...you been peekin'!!! Bullseye...

Primus

Well this was a train wreck in the making.. Lol

I carry taser, 2 cuffs ,OC ,baton ,radio 2 spare magazines, gun. That's it. All are mandated by policy but not how we place on our belt. There is nothing I WOULDNT carry.

I will say this, just other night I had to use everything on my belt except gun and OC. Had a 18 year old drunk and wanted to fight. No one was hurt because I was able to work my way up the use of force continuum safely.

Certain guys will leave off things like OC spray for example. Against policy but they do it anyways since we have tasers and they work in that step of the UOF.

As far as black nylon bag (duty bag).... Donuts, snickers, girly mags, black book for phone numbers... Kidding. Really carry legal books. Most recent legal updates for motor vehicle law, criminal procedure, criminal law, etc. About 4 books. Gang Intel powerpoints, citation book, spare radio, spare cuffs, spare light. I also get updates from SJC so I print up any recent case law that comes out to stay up to date.

All in carry off duty is gun. No badge no cuffs. Either concealed in IWB or open in a serpa with a spare magazine. When off duty cell phone is still best tool.

As far as "running with extra stuff". There's nothing faster then a radio. Those guys you see who stop after 20 feet? Its because they don't work out like they are suppose to. Do blame the belt. It doesn't make you out I'd shape. Does the belt make.it harder? Yes. But thats why we get paid. To do hard stuff no one else wants to... Like hoping fences and chasing d bags.

If anything to me the number one hindrance is the vest. Restricts breathing. That and it sucks when your radio comes flying off as your sprinting after a guy with a gun. The rest of the stuff isn't s big deal.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Firearms Iinstuctor

Because when the SHTF their isn't always time to return to your cruiser or house to get your vest, extra cuffs, baton, spray, tazer flash light, portable radio, latex cloves.

I have yet to have a crook hang around when or stop fighting when told wait I don't have ?

Also a lot of gear is mandated by policy .

Just like the general public there are those who keep in shape and those who don't. The 4 miles I ran yesterday morning , the weights and heavy bag work out every day, the Mt. bike ride I am taking this evening are a life long habit I developed.

Now that I am retired I still work out but sure don't carry all that gear

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
horse_made_by_osha0001_2.jpg

Do I need to say more??????

Primus

Because when the SHTF their isn't always time to return to your cruiser or house to get your vest, extra cuffs, baton, spray, tazer flash light, portable radio, latex cloves.

I have yet to have a crook hang around when or stop fighting when told wait I don't have ?

Also a lot of gear is mandated by policy .

Just like the general public there are those who keep in shape and those who don't. The 4 miles I ran yesterday morning , the weights and heavy bag work out every day, the Mt. bike ride I am taking this evening are a life long habit I developed.

Now that I am retired I still work out but sure don't carry all that gear

Well said.

Primus

Was or is? I'm waiting for the allegation of cop bashing. Lol

No cop bashing by you. You actually asked a legit question and hopefully got some good answers back. Those that did show up just to bash or add nothing worth while just make themselves look dumb.

Again hopefully you got some answers.

SFCRetired

Just to clear the air: No intention of cop bashing. The cop I was talking about was roundly despised by the other cops I knew. He tried to bully one of the K9 handlers and, before the K9 handler could react, the dog came out of the car after him. He got chewed up pretty good, but didn't try to bully another officer that I knew about.

He was the closest thing to a real-life Barney Fife I've ever seen.

wimwag

Just to clear the air: No intention of cop bashing. The cop I was talking about was roundly despised by the other cops I knew. He tried to bully one of the K9 handlers and, before the K9 handler could react, the dog came out of the car after him. He got chewed up pretty good, but didn't try to bully another officer that I knew about.

He was the closest thing to a real-life Barney Fife I've ever seen.

I enjoyed your post. Too bad you didn't get it on video. People should exercise lol

SFCRetired

I enjoyed your post. Too bad you didn't get it on video. People should exercise lol

That night was a complete comedy of errors. I worked a convenience store on third (2300-0700) shift and got to witness all kinds of interesting things.

First of all, he made a traffic stop almost in front of the store. Then, he cut the engine, while leaving his lights and all equipment on. Took so long verbally harassing (yes, I could hear him as I stepped outside for a smoke) the driver that the battery discharged too far to crank the engine. Then the call came in (radio still worked) that a house had been broken into close by. As he is fruitlessly trying to start the engine, this young man, presumably the suspect, comes flying down the road at a dead run. Barney jumps out of his car, trips over his own feet, recovers, and takes off in foot pursuit.

Oh, how I wish it had been caught on video. That one would have made YouTube history!

I always had the collection of drunks (bars closed at 0200) and "professional" ladies to deal with. The latter were, without exception, always polite and soft-spoken. Had they, and the cops, not told me, I would have never known what they did for a living. Interesting job.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Well, if THAT isn't "bashing" I don't know what is! LOL:shocker:

"Cop bashing" is making derogatory comments about ALL cops. Pointing out certain characteristics or traits of one specific cop is not bashing.

Strange how that works.:uhoh:

stay safe.

JoeSparky

Centurion
"Cop bashing" is making derogatory comments about ALL cops. Pointing out certain characteristics or traits of one specific cop is not bashing.

Strange how that works.:uhoh:

stay safe.

Understood, ok to 'bash' specific individuals but not entire groups!

Sorry, my humor was missed!

Last edited:

Primus

Understood, ok to 'bash' specific individuals but not entire groups!

Sorry, my humor was missed!

I'd say that to call an individual out for his actions isn't bashing at all. For example the story that SFC gave wasnt bashing at all. He was just recounting a funny story about an idiot that happened to be a cop.

Others in this thread have shown good examples of the opposite side. The difference is clear.