• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEOs, gear question

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
But no personal attacks (Rule 6)!

Humor is best left to professionals and there are at least a million professional humorists and comedians without employ.

"You are an idiot!" A personal attack.

"You behave like an idiot." Not a personal attack.

stay safe.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
The same for the military, a lot of stuff we carry is dictated by a policy from someone. I was in a unit similar to the one Skid talked about: "LEOs carry load is pretty much dictated by department policy - down to not only what is carried but where it is carried. (Knew one SO that wrote its policy for right-handers and tried to suspend a lefty who pretty much reversed everything o her belt.) Dept. A may issue only one set of cuffs while Dept. B mandates two sets"

After all, that's why it's called a "uniform".

SFCRetired

Every footchase?

You obviously haven't seen this one, yet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dnAe9bb8rXA
Strange how, when there is a chase like that and the perpetrator is caught, it seems that every cop within ten miles has got to jump on top of him. At the most, I fail to see how it would take more than three of these highly trained individuals to subdue someone.

wimwag

Strange how, when there is a chase like that and the perpetrator is caught, it seems that every cop within ten miles has got to jump on top of him. At the most, I fail to see how it would take more than three of these highly trained individuals to subdue someone.

that's why I ignored him.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
A better question (although for a variety of reasons I doubt you will get an honest answer from any LEO) is "what do you carry that is non-standard issue?" (Pry/breacher bars, folding knives, multi-tools, bump keys for houses and cars, and even "blow-out kits" have been found on cops even though none of those items were issued to them.:shocker:)

stay safe.

When I was in the Army we had a "uniform regulation" that told us what went were with your "battle rattle". Some went down to where you put your ear plugs when not in your ears. When entering the "War Room" weapons had to be left behind. I was usually carrying three knives, two pistols and a rifle. I always left them with a nice pile of steel.

If anything to me the number one hindrance is the vest. Restricts breathing.

I do not mind wearing the vest. Not wearing it may restrict your breathing. Suck it up my friend, you may need it one day.

Primus

Its called a pig pile. :D

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Primus

When I was in the Army we had a "uniform regulation" that told us what went were with your "battle rattle". Some went down to where you put your ear plugs when not in your ears. When entering the "War Room" weapons had to be left behind. I was usually carrying three knives, two pistols and a rifle. I always left them with a nice pile of steel.

I do not mind wearing the vest. Not wearing it may restrict your breathing. Suck it up my friend, you may need it one day.

Agreed. I surprisingly still wear it everyday. Even worse is the amount of guys that don't wear them especially during the summer. And this is after our guys have been shot and stabbed recently.

sudden valley gunner

Well this was a train wreck in the making.. Lol

I carry taser, 2 cuffs ,OC ,baton ,radio 2 spare magazines, gun. That's it. All are mandated by policy but not how we place on our belt. There is nothing I WOULDNT carry.

I will say this, just other night I had to use everything on my belt except gun and OC. Had a 18 year old drunk and wanted to fight. No one was hurt because I was able to work my way up the use of force continuum safely.

Certain guys will leave off things like OC spray for example. Against policy but they do it anyways since we have tasers and they work in that step of the UOF.

As far as black nylon bag (duty bag).... Donuts, snickers, girly mags, black book for phone numbers... Kidding. Really carry legal books. Most recent legal updates for motor vehicle law, criminal procedure, criminal law, etc. About 4 books. Gang Intel powerpoints, citation book, spare radio, spare cuffs, spare light. I also get updates from SJC so I print up any recent case law that comes out to stay up to date.

All in carry off duty is gun. No badge no cuffs. Either concealed in IWB or open in a serpa with a spare magazine. When off duty cell phone is still best tool.

As far as "running with extra stuff". There's nothing faster then a radio. Those guys you see who stop after 20 feet? Its because they don't work out like they are suppose to. Do blame the belt. It doesn't make you out I'd shape. Does the belt make.it harder? Yes. But thats why we get paid. To do hard stuff no one else wants to... Like hoping fences and chasing d bags.

If anything to me the number one hindrance is the vest. Restricts breathing. That and it sucks when your radio comes flying off as your sprinting after a guy with a gun. The rest of the stuff isn't s big deal.

Good post. And I will approach it as good from a different angle. Chasing may refocus mindset and adrenaline. I think it way better for a cop to use the radio so that cooler heads may prevail.

CDT COX

Agreed. I surprisingly still wear it everyday. Even worse is the amount of guys that don't wear them especially during the summer. And this is after our guys have been shot and stabbed recently.

You wear soft armor right?

Primus

Good post. And I will approach it as good from a different angle. Chasing may refocus mindset and adrenaline. I think it way better for a cop to use the radio so that cooler heads may prevail.

I actually agree with this. Keeps everyone safe.