• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cops Kill Man In Wal-Mart Carrying An Air Rifle That He Might Have Planned To Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck!

Sure. Cops didn't know the guy was lying. So couple that with IF the gun was pointed at them.....

I also agree the guy should be charged with something.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Cops didn't shoot Crawford for pointing a gun at them, they shot him for "not complying"

http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/07/c...-air-rifle-that-he-might-have-planned-to-buy/

Beavercreek police chief Dennis Evers stood by his officers’ actions, saying that they fired after Crawford failed to comply with their commands to drop the air rifle

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/07/c...t-he-might-have-planned-to-buy/#ixzz3DFJ6C76D

Makarov

Lets see...a antigunner sees an open carrier at Walmart, lies to police in a 911 call and the police finishes off the open carrier. Its all legal. Remember you have a 1\2 second to comply or die. Be careful

WalkingWolf

1245A Defender

OC for ME

New information surfaces and as such the charges lodged against the ex-perp will be dropped.

In other news; the cops will be retrained so as to provide just a wee bit more time, like 2-3 seconds, before using reasonable force for non-compliance.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
New information surfaces and as such the charges lodged against the ex-perp will be dropped.

In other news; the cops will be retrained so as to provide just a wee bit more time, like 2-3 seconds, before using reasonable force for non-compliance.

Are you sure it is not a wee wee bit more?

And not to be confused with Weeeeeeeeee--We -We--Weeeeeeeeeee.

The Truth

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ned-walmart-police-shot-dead?CMP=share_btn_tw

"...accusing her of lying, threatening her with jail, and suggesting that she was high on drugs.

Tasha Thomas was reduced to swearing on the lives of her relatives that John Crawford III had not been carrying a firearm when they entered the Walmart in Beavercreek, near Dayton, to buy crackers, marshmallows and chocolate bars on the evening of 5 August.

“You lie to me and you might be on your way to jail,” detective Rodney Curd told Thomas, as she wept and repeatedly offered to take a lie-detector test. After more than an hour and a half of questioning and statement-taking, Curd finally told Thomas that Crawford, 22, had died.

“As a result of his actions, he is gone,” said the detective, as she slumped in her chair and cried."

twoskinsonemanns

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ned-walmart-police-shot-dead?CMP=share_btn_tw

"...accusing her of lying, threatening her with jail, and suggesting that she was high on drugs.

Tasha Thomas was reduced to swearing on the lives of her relatives that John Crawford III had not been carrying a firearm when they entered the Walmart in Beavercreek, near Dayton, to buy crackers, marshmallows and chocolate bars on the evening of 5 August.

“You lie to me and you might be on your way to jail,” detective Rodney Curd told Thomas, as she wept and repeatedly offered to take a lie-detector test. After more than an hour and a half of questioning and statement-taking, Curd finally told Thomas that Crawford, 22, had died.

“As a result of his actions, he is gone,” said the detective, as she slumped in her chair and cried."

That is quite infuriating. A real early morning nut punch. WTF is her lawyer? Why has no one ever cared enough for this poor girl to tell her never talk to the cops.

JediSkipdogg

That is quite infuriating. A real early morning nut punch. WTF is her lawyer? Why has no one ever cared enough for this poor girl to tell her never talk to the cops.

This may surprise some, but from my experience, I would say less than 10% ask for an attorney. You'd also be surprised how many consent to car searches and even moreso how many consent and as they do tell the officer exactly where to look for the weed or other evidence needed for a charge where if they had just shut up and not consented, they never would have been arrested. Society as a whole is clueless to the constitution.

twoskinsonemanns

indeed. Poor people hoping for mercy in return for cooperation and honesty. I would think through out most people's childhood they were given such mercy by their parents in exchange for honesty and remorse after a wrong doing. I've always thought that was good practice but I guess such conditioning can really bite them in the ass later on.

The Truth

This may surprise some, but from my experience, I would say less than 10% ask for an attorney. You'd also be surprised how many consent to car searches and even moreso how many consent and as they do tell the officer exactly where to look for the weed or other evidence needed for a charge where if they had just shut up and not consented, they never would have been arrested. Society as a whole is clueless to the constitution.

I wonder if that means 90% of the people you've detained are stupid or just scared, or even worse, coerced or intimidated.

davidmcbeth

Banned

I believe ya !

Which is why I think that we need to go to an Israeli type of system where anything you say cannot be used against you in a court of law.

Pipe dream, sure ... but as a jurist I would not take anything said by a defendant as something to rely upon to convict (not that I would convict anyone).

JediSkipdogg

I wonder if that means 90% of the people you've detained are stupid or just scared, or even worse, coerced or intimidated.

Ever watch The First 48? That's reality, unlike COPS. Quite a few on there talk to police without a lawyer. I think it's mostly just stupid and scared. Sure, some are coerced with the "you work with us, we'll work with you" mindset. Funny thing is, generally that's in the hands of the prosecutor and not the police officer. The prosecutor may ask for an opinion from the officer, but they have the ultimate authority to change the charge to something lesser or offer a plea deal combining charges. That's on more serious charges. A good example here that I've seen is a couple was hitting small stores, over 40 in total. The male lawyered up, the female talked. Neither needed to say anything as there was enough evidence against the two including video of a few of the B&Es. The male went to jail for the weekend, the female was cited to court and released from the PD. (not my department on lead in that case)

As for small charges like weed or drug paraphernalia, those are 100% the stupid ones. They consent to the search thinking the officer can do it anyways or sometime that the officer may not tow their vehicle for consenting.

The Truth

Ever watch The First 48? That's reality, unlike COPS. Quite a few on there talk to police without a lawyer. I think it's mostly just stupid and scared. Sure, some are coerced with the "you work with us, we'll work with you" mindset. Funny thing is, generally that's in the hands of the prosecutor and not the police officer. The prosecutor may ask for an opinion from the officer, but they have the ultimate authority to change the charge to something lesser or offer a plea deal combining charges. That's on more serious charges. A good example here that I've seen is a couple was hitting small stores, over 40 in total. The male lawyered up, the female talked. Neither needed to say anything as there was enough evidence against the two including video of a few of the B&Es. The male went to jail for the weekend, the female was cited to court and released from the PD. (not my department on lead in that case)

As for small charges like weed or drug paraphernalia, those are 100% the stupid ones. They consent to the search thinking the officer can do it anyways or sometime that the officer may not tow their vehicle for consenting.

It seems very easy for cops to get around the reasonable search and seizure rights. Impound the vehicle, perform a legal search. No consent necessary and really no probable cause necessary, just gotta figure out a way to legally impound the vehicle.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

JediSkipdogg

It seems very easy for cops to get around the reasonable search and seizure rights. Impound the vehicle, perform a legal search. No consent necessary and really no probable cause necessary, just gotta figure out a way to legally impound the vehicle.

Well, based on the number of people in Ohio with suspended driver's licenses and large amount with unpaid tickets, therefore having warrants out for their arrest, it's pretty easy to have a reason to tow their vehicle thereby giving them a reason to do an inventory search. I couldn't find any exact numbers, but both of those two categories are pretty large. My department tows rarely in both cases, but I could imagine some departments tow 100% of the time in those cases.

The Truth

grapeshot said:
operative word there is "legally." manufactured excuses and improper procedure (no warrant) don't make the cut.

!

well, based on the number of people in ohio with suspended driver's licenses and large amount with unpaid tickets, therefore having warrants out for their arrest, it's pretty easy to have a reason to tow their vehicle thereby giving them a reason to do an inventory search. I couldn't find any exact numbers, but both of those two categories are pretty large. My department tows rarely in both cases, but i could imagine some departments tow 100% of the time in those cases.

b-i-n-g-o

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, based on the number of people in Ohio with suspended driver's licenses and large amount with unpaid tickets, therefore having warrants out for their arrest, it's pretty easy to have a reason to tow their vehicle thereby giving them a reason to do an inventory search. I couldn't find any exact numbers, but both of those two categories are pretty large. My department tows rarely in both cases, but I could imagine some departments tow 100% of the time in those cases.
If one drives on a suspended license or does not pay tickets, then they have no one to blame but themselves for undesired attention.

Guess I'm a little short on sympathy tonight for stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.