• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brooklyn PD being sued

Baked on Grease

2 million is nothing when compared to any violation of a Citizen's Rights. I would award him 10 million if it were up to me. Make it sting for those willing to so brazenly abuse their power or nothing will change. And never settle out of court...

Settling is nothing but hush money. It carries no admission of wrongdoing for the officer and amounts to nothing but the gov't paying you to keep quiet.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
2 million is nothing when compared to any violation of a Citizen's Rights. I would award him 10 million if it were up to me. Make it sting for those willing to so brazenly abuse their power or nothing will change. And never settle out of court...

Settling is nothing but hush money. It carries no admission of wrongdoing for the officer and amounts to nothing but the gov't paying you to keep quiet.
Easier said than done. How deep are your pockets? This is not cheep litigation.

JediSkipdogg

The amount isn't fully up to you. It's up to what your attorney wants to an extent unless you are willing to pay him a guaranteed amount up front instead of a percent of the winnings. In almost ten years of researching law enforcement, I've seen very few lawsuits go to trial. Personal experience with people I know involved, only 2 have ever gone to trial out of maybe 50. The rest are all settled and no city is going to settle for 2 mill.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The amount isn't fully up to you. It's up to what your attorney wants to an extent unless you are willing to pay him a guaranteed amount up front instead of a percent of the winnings. In almost ten years of researching law enforcement, I've seen very few lawsuits go to trial. Personal experience with people I know involved, only 2 have ever gone to trial out of maybe 50. The rest are all settled and no city is going to settle for 2 mill.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/08/city-settles-robinson-suit-for-2-million.html