• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dayton RTA - carry prohibition?

caleb4387

"Buses" in general are not public property, publicly owned/operated buses are public property.

The reason that carry on a public bus is legal is because there is not a law against it, not because the bus is public property. Carry on a public bus in Ohio is subject to the same laws as carry in a private vehicle - a loaded handgun is only allowed if one possesses an Ohio CHL or its equivalent.

ok thanks..i believe ive got that cleared up.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
i never said i was going to do that. i disarned when i went there. auglauze library however is not posted and one place id rather keep it concealed
Posted or not, CC in a public building is against the law.

"Off-limits" places are either statutory (like public buildings as well as some private property under many circumstances) or because of conspicuously posted signage (other private property).

Statutory off-limits places are supposed to have signage, but because they don't doesn't make them any less off-limits.

You need to read and understand (and should have already sought out) this publication from the Ohio Attorney General regarding Concealed Carry: http://tinyurl.com/ont3a26

Last edited:

caleb4387

Posted or not, CC in a public building is against the law.

"Off-limits" places are either statutory (like public buildings as well as some private property under many circumstances) or because of conspicuously posted signage (other private property).

Statutory off-limits places are supposed to have signage, but because they don't doesn't make them any less off-limits.

You need to read and understand (and should have already sought out) this publication from the Ohio Attorney General regarding Concealed Carry: http://tinyurl.com/ont3a26
i read through that thing every day..seems theres always something to get hung up on..so library counts as "government building" so no carry...grr...

caleb4387

as to the bus issue it still seems the bus onwer could prohibit carry? eithervway i look forwatd to digging in more and learning the nuances of law

caleb4387

well excuse me. ive definety been set straight on the library carry issue. i wont bug yall any more as it seems to basis for snippy answers

Last edited:

Makarov

I have emailed and talked to Mr. Napier, Mr. Owens, Mr. Eckler and now I have contact Mr. Whitmore. None of these people give a dam about the law until their jobs are threatened. They are sticking to their rule. I think a group of us should get together and board one of the buses and record the entire event. Strength in numbers.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I have emailed and talked to Mr. Napier, Mr. Owens, Mr. Eckler and now I have contact Mr. Whitmore. None of these people give a dam about the law until their jobs are threatened. They are sticking to their rule. I think a group of us should get together and board one of the buses and record the entire event. Strength in numbers.
(my bold)

With appropriate notice to the RTA, the authorities, and the media - sounds like a blast!

Please keep us posted.

RCall

I would be "on board" with the bus ride.

Last edited: