• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cdwp?

boomer92266

i have finally saved enough to take my class and get my permit. after i take the class what do i need to do?, and how long will it be before i receive my permit? i know it may be different for everyone but on average how long should i consider waiting before i start thinking something is wrong? thanks

Last edited:

boomer92266

We haven't heard from you in a long time, boomer. After the class, the instructor has 5 days to submit the paperwork, the Dept. of Criminal Justice Training will have 15 days to process it, after they receive it. They will then send the certificate to you. While you are waiting for the certificate, go to the Sheriff's office and pick up an application, fill it out, get the photograph that you will need and wait for the certificate to arrive. Once you get your certificate, put all of this together with the checks for the application fees, and take it to the Sheriff's office. Check with them first, because some of them only accept applications on certain days. You don't want to make a trip for nothing. The Sheriff has 5 days to send in the paperwork. Once the application is submitted to the Sheriff and sent to KSP, they have 60 days to approve or deny it. You can count on it taking all of that. You'll get notification to pick it up at the Sheriff's office. There is a new process to submit the application electronically, but it doesn't seem to be up and running, yet. I just renewed my license and wanted to do it electronically, but couldn't do it and had to do it the old way. Things may be different by the time you get ready to submit your app. That would cut the wait time for the license from 60 days to 15 days. Good luck.

thanks, i have been busy working on my home, then i'm so tired at night that i haven't got on here. i now need to save for a smaller revolver. i like the lcr 357, i now have a 4inch barrel service six, i'll be using it for a while. but the lcr is in my future i hope. is there any reason they would deny my permit? i've not been in trouble in over 20yrs and even then i hadn;t done anything but the person i was with shoplifted a few items and when they checked her car and found it they got her, me and my wife for possesion of stolen property, we had community service of 30hrs as punishment. thanks again

Last edited:

boomer92266

cdwp UPDATE

Took my class yesterday, kinda hated they did it on sunday but I've been trying to find one close for a while so I went. I passed but the thrill of the day was at the shooting range. I guess i'm like most people when I can shoot a gun is a good day, but yesterday was extra special. I was the only one there with a revolver, a blued 4 inch barrel ruger police service six made back in 1985. I got the gun from a guy needing turkey supplies back in april and got it for $150, it's still got 90% bluing left and locks up tight. I know carrying it won't be easy but it just shoots too good to trade in on a smaller weapon and my budget won't let me own two handguns right now. I out shot everyone at the class, I had two shots to go a little right as i was shooting in the rain and my grip slipped slightly but they were still inside the zone. Just thought I would update that I passed now for the wait, thanks.

neuroblades

Congrats!

Took my class yesterday, kinda hated they did it on sunday but I've been trying to find one close for a while so I went. I passed but the thrill of the day was at the shooting range. I guess i'm like most people when I can shoot a gun is a good day, but yesterday was extra special. I was the only one there with a revolver, a blued 4 inch barrel ruger police service six made back in 1985. I got the gun from a guy needing turkey supplies back in april and got it for $150, it's still got 90% bluing left and locks up tight. I know carrying it won't be easy but it just shoots too good to trade in on a smaller weapon and my budget won't let me own two handguns right now. I out shot everyone at the class, I had two shots to go a little right as i was shooting in the rain and my grip slipped slightly but they were still inside the zone. Just thought I would update that I passed now for the wait, thanks.

Congratulations, Boomer of passing!

boomer92266

Thought i would update again, hope that's ok as I am excited that it won't be long till i can carry concealed. As ya'll know I took my class last Sunday well yesterday I got my certificate. Went to the sheriff's office this morning and had everything sent off. I told the lady I got the certificate in a week after taking the course, she said she has seen a faster turnaround on both lately. She said to give the permit up to 90 days but that lately she has seen them come in from 3-6 weeks. I hope I get mine quick, I live close to tennessee and go there often, that was the main reason for me getting mine. you have to have a permit to even open carry in tennessee.

Last edited: