• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On the subject of protective oil...

The Truth

I use a Masters's (dunno why they spell it that way) leather holster for my Sig P229. I recently oiled my pistol after a thorough cleaning and realized that the leather absorbs the protective oil. Do any of you guys oil the inside of your leather holster so that you don't have "dry" spots on your pistol when you unholster it? Just curious...

SovereignAxe

I don't, but I don't oil the exterior of my pistol.

But if that's something you wish to do, I recommend spraying the outside with CLP instead. When it dries it forms as dry, synthetic lubricant and protectant (hence the name) that should stick to the gun longer when it contact with leather.

sheepdog

...saw a review on youtube and in the written description the poster put underneath the video he said said this is the retailer with best prices...seems several sites sell these holsters...

...from the site: http://www.jbpholsters.com/servlet/the-template/faq/Page#care1
4. What should I do for care and maintenance of leather?

Our master craftsmen recommend refraining from applying oil and other materials on the leather. Occasional cleaning is recommended as necessary with damp cloth and soap. Refrain from soaking leather in water or cleaning chemicals. Saddle soap, clear shoe polish, or other leather cleaners may be used. If you wish the leather to be softer, Mink Oil is recommended to soften leather as needed, but too much application may cause the leather to soften too much. Do not leave in the sun or in hot car for extended periods, it may cause significant shrinkage.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Oils (either from what you purposely put on the outside of the gun or inside a leather holster) has a long-proven history of weakening the fibers and eventually causing the holster to collapse. Google "self inflicted gunshot" to see how many were caused by leather holsters that had lost their shape.

Like you I oil the outside of my gun. My Sigs like to run wet when getting hard use on the range, but they do not get a chance to sit around that way in the holster. A light application of oil that gets wiped down/off till a paper towel comes off dry still leaves enough to protect from body/leather salts and environmental moisture. If I need to shoot more than about 75 rounds (the point where my dry Sig cries out for some lube) I have more problems than worrying about salts and moisture.

Which, btw, is where the old saw about not storing handguns long-term in leather holsters comes from. Salts will leach out and effect the metal of your gun, as well as the leather holding environmental moisture (high humidity more so than rain) which can cause rusting.

An old-timer's trick was to wipe your forfinger once across the crease of your nose, and use only that much body oil (grease?) to coat the outside of your gun. Nowadays I'd suggest a half a drop of some light oil from a pin oiler onto a cotton swab - and that's probably too much.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

It is a simple process to seal a holster with acrylic sealer. Makes the holster last longer, helps keep it from getting water logged during a downpour. Acrylic is not water proof if soaked for extended time it will break down, but it helps protect leather from excessive oils. The other option is hot waxing the leather, which will darken the leather and make it plastic, much like kydex.

The Truth

Thanks for the tips, guys. My main concern is as little wear and tear on the pistol as possible due to holster rubbing. I just love leather...haha

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the tips, guys. My main concern is as little wear and tear on the pistol as possible due to holster rubbing. I just love leather...haha

If you want to avoid holster wear, keep it in the safe.

Even using any of the hints offered here, you will get grit (dust, dead skin cells, who knows what else) trapped in the leather and in the oil.

Personally I like a gun that shows holster wear to the point the finish is gone, but the gun is otherwise clean, free of rust and galling, and knows the shooter's hand as well as the shooter's hand knows the gun.

stay safe.

The Truth

If you want to avoid holster wear, keep it in the safe.

Even using any of the hints offered here, you will get grit (dust, dead skin cells, who knows what else) trapped in the leather and in the oil.

Personally I like a gun that shows holster wear to the point the finish is gone, but the gun is otherwise clean, free of rust and galling, and knows the shooter's hand as well as the shooter's hand knows the gun.

stay safe.

Haha, understood. I open carry all day every day so the wear is inevitable...just trying to think of ways to make the finish last just a bit longer.